AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 22, 19, 8:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: wyogold
Wiki Link
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 14, 20, 11:05 am

We've now got at least one small claims file reported. For those wondering why legal activity is not occurring note that the trial date is apparently several MONTHS in the future.

I continue to believe that it is way too early to pursue legal action yet and that it is better to let the DOT complaint process conclude. We have confirmation DOT is not satisfied with AA's responses and that dozens of complaints have been filed thus far. So if you have been shutdown get on that! The guidance we have been given is to focus on how AA's action was "unfair and deceptive". Plenty of ways to approach this depending on the facts of your shutdown. One thing I intend to highlight is that the credit card sign up terms explicitly state that AA is NOT a party to the transaction between me and Citi. While DOT can not demand specific relief a negative finding against AA would help a lot in Small Claims Court. In addition, all correspondence between AA and DOT would be subject to FOIA. Most people will have a couple of years to pursue this so there's no real need to hurry.

Other options might be CFPB complaints against Citi (to establish that as far as they are concerned the terms of the offer were fulfilled by you) and State AG complaints for deceptive trade practices.

Before doing this, however, I would recommend (and I will be doing) a blast e-mail to a variety of AA execs including the head of legal demanding a LOT more information about the shutdown. When they refuse to provide it that will also play a big role in my DOT filings.
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:55 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
You are banned for life (sorry); unless you get AA's written permission to rejoin.

From T&C:

'If your account is terminated due to inappropriate conduct or while under investigation, you may not open a new AAdvantage® account or participate in the AAdvantage® Program in any capacity without obtaining the express written permission of American Airlines. '
I consider continued personalized solicitations for AAdvantage and/or Citi AA cards to be express written permission.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe AA will care five years from now and maybe it won't.

My guess is that the size of this issue here will cause some consternation by both DOT and the financial regulators and both will insist on significantly enhanced anti-churning efforts.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue View Post

Before doing this, however, I would recommend (and I will be doing) a blast e-mail to a variety of AA execs including the head of legal demanding a LOT more information about the shutdown. When they refuse to provide it that will also play a big role in my DOT filings.
Got a reply to my initial email to AA (simply asking for specifics about why I was terminated). Their reply was a form letter, thanking me for the feedback, etc. They did provide a reference number, however.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:29 pm

We've now got at least one small claims file reported. For those wondering why legal activity is not occurring note that the trial date is apparently several MONTHS in the future.

I continue to believe that it is way too early to pursue legal action yet and that it is better to let the DOT complaint process conclude. We have confirmation DOT is not satisfied with AA's responses and that dozens of complaints have been filed thus far. So if you have been shutdown get on that! The guidance we have been given is to focus on how AA's action was "unfair and deceptive". Plenty of ways to approach this depending on the facts of your shutdown. One thing I intend to highlight is that the credit card sign up terms explicitly state that AA is NOT a party to the transaction between me and Citi. While DOT can not demand specific relief a negative finding against AA would help a lot in Small Claims Court. In addition, all correspondence between AA and DOT would be subject to FOIA. Most people will have a couple of years to pursue this so there's no real need to hurry.

Other options might be CFPB complaints against Citi (to establish that as far as they are concerned the terms of the offer were fulfilled by you) and State AG complaints for deceptive trade practices.

If small claims trial date is many months in the future, why not start sooner (for example, as soon as AA responds to your DOT complaint and other communications)? What do you anticipate learning that couldn't be learned through discovery (to the extent available)? An advantage might be the ability to point to a favorable DOT ruling, but that's far from certain. If you're not in a hurry, then by all means wait. Are people really going to devote "a couple of years to pursue this"?

In addition to "unfair and deceptive", consider stressing that you did not misrepresent anything to AA or Citi (provided that's true) and that you understand AA has provided vague claims of misrepresentation without any specifics.

It's not clear what a state AG can do, in light of Ginsberg, but it certainly can't hurt.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:52 pm

Do you, or does anyone else, have any sample language to use in their DOT complaint?
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mhopki3 View Post
Do you, or does anyone else, have any sample language to use in their DOT complaint?
This comes up a lot, and I know there are quite a few PMs floating back and forth among some of us asking the same. Does anyone think that adding sample/suggested language to a wiki would be a helpful idea?
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:38 pm

For those EXP/LTPlats that have been shut down who have done the bare minimum for getting shut down (4 SUBs - no funny business), I highly encourage you all to complain loudly to the AAdvantage Plat desk. I'm sure hearing from some long time EXPers will force the issue to the forefront. JMO
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo View Post
For those EXP/LTPlats that have been shut down who have done the bare minimum for getting shut down (4 SUBs - no funny business), I highly encourage you all to complain loudly to the AAdvantage Plat desk. I'm sure hearing from some long time EXPers will force the issue to the forefront. JMO
How do you get to the plat desk if you’re shut down?

New phone, who dis
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:48 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I think that this statement is a bit disingenuous to say the least. To better understand the reason for the reverse stock split mentioned above, one needs to understand what happened to Citi during the financial crisis of 2008. I have referred interested readers to the following article which explains in some detail what happened and include a small portion of that article below (fair use).

"Citigroup lost $32 billion in 2008. To stay alive, the company had to create equity, and create equity fast. That means creating shares at a time when the stock price had fallen by over 80%, so that the existing shareholders would have to share the wealth with new partners that were entering at once in a lifetime prices, diluting the existing owners substantially.

By the time the financial crisis was over and the final results tallied, almost six new shares got created for every share that had previously been in existence. A share count that had hovered around 500 million grew to 2.8 billion. Things got so bad that Citigroup had to do a 10-for-1 reverse stock split to superficially paper over their own folly; without taking into account dividends, Citigroup’s stock price will have to increase to $500 per share for the old investors to breakeven."

For those of us who picked up Citi after the dilution at $0.50/sh, it turned out to be one of the biggest financial bargains ever. I never owned 80K shares of anything in my life until Citi, and even after the 10/1 reverse stock split, still own a pile of it. And it is not a bad company either.
However, note that for investors who had the stock before the crisis, the price of the stock today should be $500/sh. Only in my dreams would Citi stock attain that height

One may or may not agree with the above analysis, but I think that I will keep my Citi stock. Citi isn't going anywhere (and the dividend isn't bad either )

There nothing disingenuous AT ALL.............IT'S A FACT. Did you even read your copy/paste and if so do you understand it ?

The 10/1 spit increased the price 10 fold AND IT ALSO DECREASED the FLOAT 10 fold , to get back to the 2006 prices Citi would have to be over $550 a share today.

One of the reasons for this crazy bull market today is companies are buying back stock..........less shares ( float) = more $$$per share.

I bought many shares for ~$1............I never saw 50 cents but it may have hit it..............I guess you decided to buy 80K shares the day it hit it's all time low................

Those shares you paid 50 cents for 11 years ago are worth ~$8 today............in fact they were worth the same ~$8 two years ago.

The fact is if you bought C in 2006 and still hold, 14 year later you are chasing $400 plus a share, even with the sub 3% divvy.

Last edited by flyer4512; Feb 14, 20 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo View Post
There is no plat desk. All you get is expedited access to the regular phone agents and, as noted, you won't get that if you've been dis-aadvantaged. There is an EXP desk, but it's not what it once was.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by mhopki3 View Post
My strong recommendation is to use your own description. None of our individual complaints will be adjudicated by DOT and we don't want to appear like and astroturf campaign.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
If small claims trial date is many months in the future, why not start sooner (for example, as soon as AA responds to your DOT complaint and other communications)? What do you anticipate learning that couldn't be learned through discovery (to the extent available)? An advantage might be the ability to point to a favorable DOT ruling, but that's far from certain. If you're not in a hurry, then by all means wait. Are people really going to devote "a couple of years to pursue this"?

In addition to "unfair and deceptive", consider stressing that you did not misrepresent anything to AA or Citi (provided that's true) and that you understand AA has provided vague claims of misrepresentation without any specifics.

It's not clear what a state AG can do, in light of Ginsberg, but it certainly can't hurt.
As far as what we might learn, who knows. The goal is to raise the cost of compliance for AA as high as possible and potentially force an error. State AGs do this and maybe one or two bite and demand AA do some real work to defend themselves. Flooding all channels with attacks at this stage achieves a lot of goals.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:27 pm

My strong recommendation is to use your own description. None of our individual complaints will be adjudicated by DOT and we don't want to appear like and astroturf campaign.
I'd agree, but some consistent keywords in each of our complaints might be beneficial. Whatever you mention (loss of miles, AA canceled my flight the day before, lack of refunds on cash paid),,,I personally think it's important to say that you already reached out to AA and got no reply.
So before you write to DOT, reply to the AA email and ask why they did this to you specifically.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
I'd agree, but some consistent keywords in each of our complaints might be beneficial. Whatever you mention (loss of miles, AA canceled my flight the day before, lack of refunds on cash paid),,,I personally think it's important to say that you already reached out to AA and got no reply.
So before you write to DOT, reply to the AA email and ask why they did this to you specifically.
Absolutely. AA's bad behavior extends in all directions. Document it as much as possible.
cheaptom and cajunguy like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: