Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Often1
People focus too much on the specific and forget that AA is typically aggressive about fraud in general and apparently devotes substantial resources to anti-fraud efforts.

Not just this scam, but people selling miles, certificates, booking impossible tickets, booking refundable tickets and cancelling to create inventory. All of these point to sophisticated efforts by AA and it should come as no surprise that it enforces the rules.
Can someone who’s calling this a scam and fraud point to which part of using a physical mailer to sign up for a new card is scamming Citi/AA or fraud?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by mhdena
A person with a scheduled flight today got a cancelation email.
No communication of lockdown or anything. This has been handled so horribly.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Can someone who’s calling this a scam and fraud point to which part of using a physical mailer to sign up for a new card is scamming Citi/AA or fraud?
I'm not the person saying that, but the fraud part would be misrepresenting your identity when signing up for an account to generate mailers.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by time_stamp
I'm not the person saying that, but the fraud part would be misrepresenting your identity when signing up for an account to generate mailers.
Plenty of the data points say that it doesn’t matter where you received the mailer code. You don’t necessarily need multiple accounts to have participated.
NecessaryDuck likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm sure this won't end up being the case, but IMHO we should keep this thread solely for discussing data points and experiences, and save the "ethics debates" for some other thread. Especially as we don't yet even know with certainty whether all lockouts were participating in which activities (if any).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
People focus too much on the specific and forget that AA is typically aggressive about fraud in general and apparently devotes substantial resources to anti-fraud efforts.

Not just this scam, but people selling miles, certificates, booking impossible tickets, booking refundable tickets and cancelling to create inventory. All of these point to sophisticated efforts by AA and it should come as no surprise that it enforces the rules.
Well it took them about 5 years to get around to it. Remember when people were opening the 100k Executive card every month and then immediately canceling and reopening?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
Well it took them about 5 years to get around to it. Remember when people were opening the 100k Executive card every month and then immediately canceling and reopening?
Yes. "Please take our 100,000 AAdvantage miles and accept $200 as a parting gift. We hope to see you again next month."
ctbarron likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Just an FYI, I signed up for Reddit today and the private thread now appears to be public

https://www.reddit.com/r/aa_shutdown/
still private for me and I can't access
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:22 pm
btw

Originally Posted by mhdena
A person with a scheduled flight today got a cancelation email.
Since we know there are people from AA reading this thread, I would make this one request of them:

You legally have the right to do almost anything with our AAdvantage accounts and award trips. But please be decent human beings and make sure that you don't cancel return flights for people who are already gone. You would be stranding families in another country/state.

Also, maybe don't cancel Christmas travel? People going home to see their families, or flying their families in to see them.

I've already said that AA should have no PR problems because of these lockouts. But these two things could possibly leave them with a black eye, especially with the lack of communication so far. Many people affected most likely have no idea.

I am not currently on a trip. I do not have any scheduled before the end of the year. This is not me trying to help myself. This is asking AA to do the decent thing for these families at Christmas.
beastieb likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:37 pm

Is there anyone who uses (e)mailers, whose account has not been locked?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:48 pm

My account is locked (called in) - being handled by account security - never got a message / email. Agent sounded surprised.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AOPA
I want to know how many account are locked. AA might be crossing a line somewhere.

too bad there are no regulation on frequent flier programs, hope something comes out of this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Yes
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Yes- however I guess they are focusing on large balances
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:13 pm

I would encourage those who are unsure if they are locked to try to book a 1,000 point a night hotel in Ho Chi Minh City for example. This confirms the "silent lock", or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.