Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:12 pm

quick question, can we assume "locked" account = "closed" account at this moment? I think no one got unlocked so far.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:13 pm

Question

AA sure is taking its sweet time. My and my wife's account have been locked since mid December like everyone else. I have flown on award tickets back in January and have a new set coming up in March. I did book backup flights for most future tickets. If AA does not get to me before my flights, I will cancel my back up flights and take the small risk that it happens while mid trip.

What are others doing?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
Finally, as someone who was a commercial litigation associate at a v10 firm for years, the general idea in this thread (and reflected in the quoted language) that AA considered every possible legal challenge and therefore implemented a bulletproof strategy before acting is laughable. Mega-corporations expose themselves to massive potential exposure through incomprehensibly dumb decisions practically every day.
Yes, it is very amusing.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robl
Got a new physical mailer today. No not AA but Delta 70k with no lifetime language. DOC https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-...time-language/ has discussed this ad nauseum. I've had 2 personal and 2 business Delta SUBs in the past 3 years. If I don't get a pop-up from Amex I may go for another. Many, many people taking advantage of this and it is Delta sending out the mailers. Yet not a hint of Delta shutting down the accounts. Just a warning not to close the accounts in less than a year or spend and return items.
I don't really want to piss off Amex. They are a good lender.

The great thing about churning AA miles on Citi CCs that they are the most incompetent lender in the country partnering with the most incompetent airline in the country. Getting shut down costs some miles, but absolutely nothing else. I'm all for burning bridges, but doing so selectively.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The great thing about churning AA miles on Citi CCs that they are the most incompetent lender in the country partnering with the most incompetent airline in the country...
That's harsh. They must be competent where it count, i.e. golden parachutes being in good working order.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:28 am

Too funny. My AA Gold status was renewed another year (without the necessary flying/spending to even renew) and then the following day, just now, I received my account termination email.

Thank you for finally doing the deed and not dragging this out any ridiculously longer, AA. Obviously let's see how this shakes out, but at a minimum thank you AA/CIti for the damn good run while it lasted.

You run a joke of an operation, but I am glad I was able to get in on this while I could.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by michaelr
AA sure is taking its sweet time. My and my wife's account have been locked since mid December like everyone else. I have flown on award tickets back in January and have a new set coming up in March. I did book backup flights for most future tickets. If AA does not get to me before my flights, I will cancel my back up flights and take the small risk that it happens while mid trip.

What are others doing?
They are actively slogging through their "analysis". I would not bet too strongly on future awards.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Feb 6, 2020 at 10:00 pm Reason: Changed slugging to slogging. I meant to convey the pace of a slug, but I think it conveys to many the opposite w/ baseball.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
They are actively slugging through their "analysis". I would not bet too strongly on future awards.
I agree. I don't anticipate them unlocking anyone - just leaving everyone in perpetual lock mode until they shut people down. For those that are left in limbo, I can foresee this being a pita to get unlocked.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by gumercindo
I agree. I don't anticipate them unlocking anyone - just leaving everyone in perpetual lock mode until they shut people down. For those that are left in limbo, I can foresee this being a pita to get unlocked.
Disagree. I suspect that they are working account by account. For each one they either: a) terminate (which seems to be 100% from reports to date); or, b) send a request for certain clarifying data (none so far); or, c) unlock with note saying account access has been restored after investigation (none so far). I do NOT anticipate that any accounts will "remain" locked but not otherwise dealt with.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by sbrower
Disagree. I suspect that they are working account by account. For each one they either: a) terminate (which seems to be 100% from reports to date); or, b) send a request for certain clarifying data (none so far); or, c) unlock with note saying account access has been restored after investigation (none so far). I do NOT anticipate that any accounts will "remain" locked but not otherwise dealt with.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are actually a large number of accounts that have been locked, analyzed and subsequently unlocked without the account holder ever knowing. My pure guess is that when they realized there was a problem they needed to address they created an automated task to quickly lock all accounts with an activity pattern that met some criteria that typifies the abuse and are now going through each one actually looking at them manually and unlocking or terminating as needed.

Remember that the people aware of the locking, through this or other forums, are much more likely to be "guilty", and therefore ultimately be terminated, than the average. Therefore, it's not surprising that there are no reports of being being locked and later unlocked here.
MSPeconomist and Richard Berg like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I wouldn't be surprised if there are actually a large number of accounts that have been locked, analyzed and subsequently unlocked without the account holder ever knowing. My pure guess is that when they realized there was a problem they needed to address they created an automated task to quickly lock all accounts with an activity pattern that met some criteria that typifies the abuse and are now going through each one actually looking at them manually and unlocking or terminating as needed.

Remember that the people aware of the locking, through this or other forums, are much more likely to be "guilty", and therefore ultimately be terminated, than the average. Therefore, it's not surprising that there are no reports of being being locked and later unlocked here.
I very much doubt this. Not a single data point.
wrp96, asdfghjk and sethMCOflyer like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I wouldn't be surprised if there are actually a large number of accounts that have been locked, analyzed and subsequently unlocked without the account holder ever knowing.
Seriously large number of accounts and not one data point. We/you should be surprised if that happened, because it didn't.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Too funny. My AA Gold status was renewed another year (without the necessary flying/spending to even renew) and then the following day, just now, I received my account termination email.
Finding some humor in all of this can't hurt. Within minutes after my termination, I received AA offers for bonus Hertz points and then 1-800 Flowers. Nice to know that AA Marketing is sync with AA Security.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
...The great thing about churning AA miles on Citi CCs that they are the most incompetent lender in the country partnering with the most incompetent airline in the country....

'...net income for the third quarter 2019 of $4.9 billion, or $2.07 per diluted share, on revenues of $18.6 billion..."

NET INCOME OF ~26%

I bet most companies wish they were that incompetent.
(FWIW Amex ~16%)
dmsdfw likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321

'...net income for the third quarter 2019 of $4.9 billion, or $2.07 per diluted share, on revenues of $18.6 billion..."

NET INCOME OF ~26%

I bet most companies wish they were that incompetent.
(FWIW Amex ~16%)
In this economy only the worst of companies and those taking some serious missteps are not making money. Something about a blind squirrel finding a nut while riding the freight train barreling down the tracks would be appropriate here. As soon as there is mouse fart of a hint of an actual recession you'll see those numbers decreased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.