Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Interesting, thanks I hadn't seen those. Where have you seen those DPs?
They are mine. I am currently locked, still earning miles, still have access to my account, and I had 4 reward reservations worth over 400,000 miles cancelled without any notification from AA. But don't worry AA apologists [not directed at you 84fiero], your accounts are safe. Hahahaha.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Low tens of thousands.
Originally Posted by audifan27
.... If even a fraction of the terminated accounts submit a DOT complaint, it should raise some eyebrows.
This assumes the estimate is correct, but I have no understanding of how it was calculated. The number of affected posters here seems to be a low three digit number. There are fewer than 300 posters in the Citi and AA forum threads, and not everyone who has posted is affected. No doubt not everyone who is affected has posted, and not everyone affected is even aware, but it's a big leap from a few hundred to tens of thousands.
GUWonder and Jaunts like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:19 am

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 7:27 pm Reason: Point out Reddit
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:49 am

I agree it's above 10k. Think about how many people are on that sub reddit and that's probably 10% of the population or less. They just kicked out 200 people who signed up just for that sub reddit alone in a couple of days.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not the number of complaints, it is the simple question as to whether the conduct, if true, violates the Title 49 provision (which is far from unique to DOT, but is as to the commercial carriers enforced only by DOT).
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not the number of complaints, it is the simple question as to whether the conduct, if true, violates the Title 49 provision (which is far from unique to DOT, but is as to the commercial carriers enforced only by DOT).
Nope.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
They are mine. I am currently locked, still earning miles, still have access to my account, and I had 4 reward reservations worth over 400,000 miles cancelled without any notification from AA. But don't worry AA apologists [not directed at you 84fiero], your accounts are safe. Hahahaha.

How did you find out your flights were cancelled ? Are they still showing up when you log in ?

I have flights in March and May and if they are going to cancel them I would rather they do it now and I'll go on my backup vacation to Vegas.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
How are you "locked" and still earning miles and still have access to your account?

Not doubting you, but never had my account locked, so I am trying to understand. I thought locked meant you were locked out of your account.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
How are you "locked" and still earning miles and still have access to your account?

Not doubting you, but never had my account locked, so I am trying to understand. I thought locked meant you were locked out of your account.
When your account is "locked", you cannot redeem your miles. You can do all/most other activities.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:18 pm

Locked accounts can earn miles, access pre booked award tickets, change seats.............shutdown means you are done, can't log in, etc
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
This assumes the estimate is correct, but I have no understanding of how it was calculated. The number of affected posters here seems to be a low three digit number. There are fewer than 300 posters in the Citi and AA forum threads, and not everyone who has posted is affected. No doubt not everyone who is affected has posted, and not everyone affected is even aware, but it's a big leap from a few hundred to tens of thousands.
FT is not as much at the center of the miles and points world as it used to be; and even if it still were, there is a lot checking out stuff on here by people who don’t post on FT for some reason or another (including that of never having signed up for an FT account).

This is not to say that I have been presented with any reason to conclude how many accounts have been smacked by AA in and since the last quarter of 2019.

I have to also assume that there are people with locked/shutdown AA accounts who don’t even know that they can no longer redeem previously acquired AA miles that were credited to AA accounts in their name..
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
When your account is "locked", you cannot redeem your miles. You can do all/most other activities.
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Locked accounts can earn miles, access pre booked award tickets, change seats.............shutdown means you are done, can't log in, etc
Curious why AA would have cancelled OP's bookings then.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By now after almost 2 months since the initial news broke, most everyone who read this and other threads even not being affected, would have learned about there are TWO stages involved -

There are SO MANY POSTS reported the scenario that readers would not have a chance to miss such -

The first stage is being "locked", meaning you cannot use the miles in your account but pretty much anything else you are able to do, just like a never-affected account.

The second stage is, an AA termination email lands in either your inbox or your spam folder telling you your account is erased. Then you find out you can no longer log in your account, everything associated with that, incl the already booked award flights, are also canceled. Though the cancellation can certainly happen during the "locked" stage.

Between the "locked" stage and the "terminated" stage, there is NO communication from AA whatsoever, UNTIL the Termination email arrives - and that is by far the source of Most Complaints - a total lack of communication / channel for people to learn about AA's intention / talk to AA especially in the cases of the innocent bystanders being caught up in the debacle.

It is pretty unfathomable and rather entertaining, for someone who constantly posts in related threads, who claims to have access to Reddit and many other sites both with Public or Private Only access, who gave out a laundry list on "floor values", who insists bystander victims are total outliers, would not have an idea / understanding on how the process has been... regardless one's account is affected or not.

Across multiple threads, multiple websites, some public, some not, those getting suspended and/or terminated have shared a common theme.

The vast vast vast majority of those that have been suspended/terminated have several of the following in common...
  1. Multiple SUBs in a year (floor seems to be typically 3+)
  2. Multiple mailers signups in a year (typically 3+)
  3. Using mailers intended for others (floor seems to be typically 1+)
  4. Multiple identical credit cards. (floor seems to be typically 2+)
  5. Very little actual paid flying credited to AA in a year
  6. Closed CC accounts shortly after getting the bonus
  7. Others in the HH engaging in churning
  8. At least some questionable activity
Not saying one needs to hit even most of these to get suspended/terminated; the vast majority of those reporting appears not to be.

desi's post certainly appears to be an outlier, but they have not posted additional information/clarifications.

To say there is some group of accounts out there that have been shut down for normal activity - such as desi's post at face value - is simply unfounded and by all reasonable accounts, untrue.
(Some outliers? Sure, possible. But not relevant for this discussion.)
fttc and mhdena like this.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 19, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The first stage is being "locked", meaning you cannot use the miles in your account but pretty much anything else you are able to do, just like an affected account.

The second stage is, an AA termination email lands in either your inbox or your spam folder telling you your account is erased. Then you find out you can no longer log in your account, everything associated with that, incl the already booked award flights, are also canceled.
I don't know if anyone came up with official terminology, but I think Locked and Terminated are good and clear. JonNYC tweeted yesterday that there were more Shutdowns...are those Phase 1 "Locked" or Phase 2 "Terminated" ?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:10 pm

...Between the "locked" stage and the "terminated" stage, there is NO communication from AA whatsoever, ...
THIS time. If you have read FT, reddit or any other threads you should know that typically AA CORPSEC does reach out. (It is pretty unfathomable and rather entertaining, for someone who constantly posts in related threads that does not know this. )

For the accounts caught up in this, it appears - based on reports here and elsewhere - the vast majority of accounts are still locked, not terminated. And those that are terminated fit the criteria above or more.

... It is pretty unfathomable and rather entertaining....
Believe what you want. Have you sent your letter to DOT yet? That is the best way to help your case.

...especially in the cases of the innocent bystanders being caught up in the debacle...
You keep beating this unsubstantiated drum. Not one DP of a "innocent bystander" account being terminated.

For everyone else, It makes sense why AA would not reach out to the terminated account holders in this case. AA believes it is a violation. Is there anything to talk about?

Try to take a step back and think about how that conversation would go...
  1. Terminated Account Holder: Hey I did X, Y, Z. I don't think that is against the rules.
  2. AA Representative: Yes we know. We believe it is a violation of the program rules.
  3. Terminated Account Holder: No it is not.
  4. AA Representative: Our program, our rules, our decision. We believe it is a violation of the program rules.
  5. Terminated Account Holder: I don't think that is against the rules.
  6. GO TO STEP 4

It is not about supporting or not supporting AA in this... AA believes it is a violation. Talking to AA will not change their minds. Enough DOT complaints/fines, might. A legal case might.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.