Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by nashvillain
This is wishful thinking. Everyone knew (and knows) that there is no reason to sign up for a credit card account, close it, then open it again other than to get the bonus more than once. That is the gaming/abusive/fraudulent/whatever behavior that AA is punishing. How you got the SUBs, and what the T&Cs said at the time, doesn't really matter. If you want to point to the terms, those same T&C's always had an effective "AA can do whatever it wants with the AAdvantage program" statement at the bottom. There are no regulatory protections for that behavior, and no regulations that prevent a loyalty program operator (or company) from firing its least profitable customers. Saying that "AA kept sending me mailers so I kept signing up because they kept giving me miles" isn't a legal defense. No honest lawyer would take your money to sue AA here, and a class-action is going to have an uphill battle since AA is not going to have difficulty painting the plaintiffs in an unsympathetic light and will easily be able to show the financial impact this behavior had on other "honest" airline passengers. AA may settle to make court costs go away, but no one will get any worthwhile award.

If you really can't stomach the idea of taking the L and moving on, then the most realistic opportunity for 'getting back at them' would seem to be complaining to the SEC and claim that Citi/American officers knowingly hid and/or reported fraudulent acquisition/portfolio metrics to investors.
Cancelling tickets but not refunding taxes is another matter where the passenger does have legal standing.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, everyone does not know, because it isn't true. Citi encouraged this behavior for a decade. Do you have evidence that they lost money in the process?
Everyone refers to the average American consumer with a basic understanding of credit cards. They would all understand that there is no practical purpose for opening and closing the same credit product, particularly within a short time frame, other than to obtain whatever bonus/benefits comes from opening accounts. That is absolutely a true statement.

That Citi did not stop the behavior does not mean they encouraged it, nor is it even relevant. Even if Citi was 'encouraging' the behavior, AA can still shut down people who engaged in the behavior. They also have the option to seek remedy from Citi (or not), as per their discretion and contractual terms.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Robl
Cancelling tickets but not refunding taxes is another matter where the passenger does have legal standing.
Not necessarily. The tax is related to the sale of travel, not the use of travel. Even if the PAX does have standing, they're only going to be able to recover those specific refundable taxes - which AA may not even have to pay. Instead, the individual may need to end up claiming them on their tax returns.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:32 pm

Everyone refers to the average American consumer with a basic understanding of credit cards. They would all understand that there is no practical purpose for opening and closing the same credit product, particularly within a short time frame, other than to obtain whatever bonus/benefits comes from opening accounts. That is absolutely a true statement.

That Citi did not stop the behavior does not mean they encouraged it, nor is it even relevant. Even if Citi was 'encouraging' the behavior, AA can still shut down people who engaged in the behavior. They also have the option to seek remedy from Citi (or not), as per their discretion and contractual terms.
The American consumer's understanding of credit cards is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
GUWonder, Happy, 84fiero and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
The American consumer's understanding of credit cards is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
Who do you think is going to be on your jury, assuming your case isn't dismissed?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:54 pm

AA's terms are not almighty. Yes, then can and do put in writing "We reserve the right to do whatever we want to your account" So that covers them to do whatever they want? No.

Just look at any store that has the familiar sign, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." A minority couple goes in, so the store is legally allowed to kick them out because they are a minority? Uh, no. Doesn't work that way.
sdsearch and 84fiero like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:04 pm

Who do you think is going to be on your jury, assuming your case isn't dismissed?
The cost of a jury trial even if you win, would be more then the value of a seven figure AA balance.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not necessarily. The tax is related to the sale of travel, not the use of travel.
That is anything but completely true across the board for AA-issued award tickets. AA collects a variety of taxes on AA-issued award tickets, a lot of which are taxes based on use of travel and are not due the government unless and until the condition of ticket’s use of travel has been met.

For some AA-issued award tickets’ taxes, AA’s conversion of some such taxes collected into revenue for AA may be legally problematic for AA in the eyes of some government authorities. I won’t say more about that here.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Thinking about the miles zeroed out...

Assuming 20k accounts...

If the average is only 50k per account... 1 Billion Miles
If the average is 500k per account... 10 Billion Miles
If the average is 1 Million per account... 20 Billion Miles

Just a staggering number of miles.

If AA values/sells them at a penny each and assuming 500k miles per account... $100 million dollars recouped to AA/Citi.

No real point. Just gives the scale.
Agree with that count. Which brings me to ask, those kinds of numbers HAVE to had risen up to someone's radar at AAdvantage, no?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Agree with that count. Which brings me to ask, those kinds of numbers HAVE to had risen up to someone's radar at AAdvantage, no?
AA only charges about .5 cents a mile to Citi. This was in an SEC filing years ago and reported here in the pre-bankruptcy days.
IAD_flyer and jsl_313 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Robl
AA only charges about .5 cents a mile to Citi. This was in an SEC filing years ago and reported here in the pre-bankruptcy days.
Good data point. Has it increased over the years?

Even at .5, it is tens of millions of dollars if not hundreds of millions.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:40 pm

Not necessarily. The tax is related to the sale of travel, not the use of travel.
This is totally wrong. I don't understand how people put out those garbage. It's as if they are moles for AA to purposely misinform.

It I go to a store to buy something. I pay sales tax. But if I return the item, I get the sales tax back from the store.

As long as the tax is not paid to the government by the customer directly, it's the store/airline's responsibility to refund those. I have canceled award bookings, all sorts of tax and fees from multiple governments always get refunded. If your tickets are refundable, the tax and fees always get refunded. AA only pays the tax and fees based on how many people actually traveled or landed at the particular airports, just like retail stores where the tax is only calculated from the net sales revenue.
GUWonder, asdfghjk and jsl_313 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by fttc
This is totally wrong. I don't understand how people put out those garbage. It's as if they are moles for AA to purposely misinform.
No. It is totally right.

By law, this tax applies to the sale of air transportation, not to the transportation itself.
Under the law, if an airline refunds the air fare, it is free to, but not required to, refund the tax. If the airline refunds the air fare but does not refund the tax, the traveler can claim the a refund of the tax from the IRS by filing form 8849 with that agency.
nashvillain and Richard Berg like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:38 pm

That's exactly my point. You pay for the service, not the service + tax. So if you bought a service nonrefundable, and can't use the service because issue on your side, you don't get refunded the tax because you paid for the service. But if the service is cancelled by the service provider, you get full refund including all tax.

The title of the article clearly match what I say.
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
No. It is totally right.
It can’t be more than partially right. AA issues mileage tickets with a variety of taxes (by whatever name the taxes go), and many of the taxes may not even be US taxes. And for some AA mileage tickets, there may even be zero US taxes on the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.