Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Convert ThankYou Preferred to Rewards Plus?

Old Nov 12, 19, 10:55 am
Original Poster

A few years ago I downgraded my Citi Thank You card to Thank You Preferred. I still have about 1000 Thank You points that just sit there.
I have been getting targeted offers to switch it for Rewards Plus, which on the surface seems to perhaps have some small advantages.
Bottom line...it probably doesn't matter much to me since I hardly use the card. But is switching a good idea?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by protagonist View Post
A few years ago I downgraded my Citi Thank You card to Thank You Preferred. I still have about 1000 Thank You points that just sit there.
I have been getting targeted offers to switch it for Rewards Plus, which on the surface seems to perhaps have some small advantages.
Bottom line...it probably doesn't matter much to me since I hardly use the card. But is switching a good idea?

Thanks in advance.
Which Citi Thank You card? There is no one such thing called a Citi Thank You card. Thank You is a group of cards, including Preferred, Premier, Prestige, and now Rewards+, plus more cards that earn Thank You points but don't have Thank You in the name.
Old Nov 13, 19, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
But is switching a good idea?
ACAICT - if it is an offer to you, it won't count against anything. It is better than you request on your own.

If Citi is offering a switch, the chance is Citi is going to discontinue TY Preferred very soon.

I would say do it.
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Which Citi Thank You card? There is no one such thing called a Citi Thank You card. Thank You is a group of cards, including Preferred, Premier, Prestige, and now Rewards+, plus more cards that earn Thank You points but don't have Thank You in the name.
The OP mentioned having downgraded to the Preferred card from another Thank You group card and about now getting offers to downgrade the Preferred card down to Rewards+.

Isn't a substantial downside of such a switch from Preferred to Rewards+ the loss of ability to transfer ThankYou points into airline miles with TYP-partner airlines? If it is and I were to do such a card switch -- with a consequent loss of the ability to transfer TYP into airline miles -- then I would empty the TYP balance before doing the downgrade.
Old Nov 13, 19, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Isn't a substantial downside of such a switch from Preferred to Rewards+ the loss of ability to transfer ThankYou points into airline miles with TYP-partner airlines?
TY Preferred is a no-fee card. So it is not eligible for TY transfer.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:53 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Which Citi Thank You card?.
How would knowing if the original card was Premier or Prestige change the answer to a question about converting Preferred to Rewards+ ?
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Yes, sorry, my mistake.

Thank You Preferred.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:21 am
Original Poster

The card I currently own is Thank You Preferred (I downgraded from Prestige years ago to avoid the annual fee).
There is no annual fee and I cannot transfer points to airlines with Preferred. I just keep the card for the purpose of having a longer average credit use. I have about 1000 unused points that I accrued when I had Prestige.
So I don't see any significant downside to converting to Rewards +. The upside (small) is 10% points back and rounding up to nearest 10 points on purchases.
I don't really use the card much at all so it doesn't make a lot of difference to me, but since they offer the switch I was wondering if any of you can see a downside (or significant upside) to accepting.

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:57 am

The card I currently own is Thank You Preferred (I downgraded from Prestige years ago to avoid the annual fee).
There is no annual fee and I cannot transfer points to airlines with Preferred. I just keep the card for the purpose of having a longer average credit use. I have about 1000 unused points that I accrued when I had Prestige.
So I don't see any significant downside to converting to Rewards +. The upside (small) is 10% points back and rounding up to nearest 10 points on purchases.
I don't really use the card much at all so it doesn't make a lot of difference to me, but since they offer the switch I was wondering if any of you can see a downside (or significant upside) to accepting.

Thanks.
One downside is you may experience a bug in Citi's system after doing the conversion. Those 1000 points will appear as expiring in 7 days, even though they should not. There's more discussion here. Another downside is that you can earn bonus points for opening a new Rewards+ account which you don't get upon converting.
Old Nov 13, 19, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
One downside is you may experience a bug in Citi's system after doing the conversion. Those 1000 points will appear as expiring in 7 days, even though they should not. There's more discussion here. Another downside is that you can earn bonus points for opening a new Rewards+ account which you don't get upon converting.
The current branch version of Rewards+ is giving 30k points for something like $1000 or $1500 in spend within 90 days and 0% APR for up to 15 months on purchases.

Rewards+ seems to be one of the best cards to use for those $1 burger purchases.
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Convert

I converted Preferred to Rewards +.

I agree it's really only a minor change in product. But one of the factors that pushed me over the edge toward the product change which may not be huge in your case was the 10k typ annual rebate on redemptions.

If you don't have a large aggregate typ account balance then it doesn't really matter which card you have unless you do 1.00 transactions almost every day. But 10k back was a pretty compelling reason.

In the conversion which was solicited by citi my points remained intact, they did not expire with product change, the account number did change and it took maybe 30 days. Because the preferred card was pretty much useless to me I went for the conversion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: