Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Turkish US to Hawaii on UA, seat selection, bags?

Old Oct 6, 19, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Hi! Iíve never used Turkish Airlines before, but Iím trying to take advantage of transferring Citi TY points to Turkish to book United flights from US mainland (BNA) to Hawaii (OGG). If I book one of these flights, will I have a seat assignment? Will I have a carryon? If I get a baggage fee credit for checked bags on United flights, will that apply since itís a United flight? Or no because itís through Turkish?
Old Oct 6, 19, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Award Ticket

Free seat assignment?
Yes.

Will I have a carryon?
Yes, just like any UA award ticket you have regular economy privileges and not downgraded to basic economy.

If I get a baggage fee credit for checked bags on United flights, will that apply since itís a United flight?
Yes, if your MP number is later added to the award reservation and you have a qualifying Chase card associated with that MP number you will get your usual checked in allowance even if it is issued on TK stock.
Old Oct 6, 19, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by njsalazar View Post
If I book one of these flights, will I have a seat assignment?
Yes and no.

You normally can select your seat. However, if the flight is getting full, UA can and has disabled the features when necessary.

Will I have a carryon?
Another yes and no.

You normally can have a carryon. However, if the flight is getting full during boarding, and your BG is low, UA will force you to check your carryon.

If I get a baggage fee credit for checked bags on United flights, will that apply since itís a United flight? Or no because itís through Turkish?
The source of your baggage free credit determines how you can qualify the credit.
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
I believe the OP is trying to understand booking rules as they apply as a reward ticket issued by a partner airline.

The yes & no responses are slightly confusing.

Basically what you are trying to say is that when all the "available seats" on the online map are taken, you may be out of luck.

The OP is asking if s/he is entitled to even see and access the seat map and the answer is a definitive yes since the tickets are not classified as Basic Economy. Once the TK award is booked, note the UA confirmation number and access your reservation on the UA website for seat selection.

In regards to the carry on question again the yes & no response is confusing.

It goes without saying that if you are in a later boarding group or if space runs out you will be made to check in a bag. This applies universally to all commercial air travel situations not just UA.

The OP is asking if there are any known restrictions to his/her carry on allowance specifically in regards to a TK award ticket on UA metal that would absolutely prohibit him/her from having a carry on. The answer again is no. You ticket is not subject to Basic Economy rules.

And finally in regards to free UA baggage credit. It is true I was only addressing free baggage associated with qualifying Chase Cards. What I meant to say is that whatever qualifies you for free baggage whether it be elite tier membership or credit card/frequent flyer number, make sure that that your MP number is associated with the reservation so that the computer will grant you those benefits. But yes, those benefits are extended to a TK issued UA metal ticket.
Old Oct 7, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
The UA Chase cards don't work like Alaska, AA, Delta cards do for free baggage. You need to have paid for your ticket with the UA Chase card, and my experience is that even if you used that card in the TYP portal for a paid fare, is that the fare actually gets paid for by Expedia/Connexions card account #. If you transfer miles to Turkish, and pay any associated fees with the UA card, maybe that would work for free baggage, but again, I'm not sure if that will get mapped over correctly with a partner award.
Old Oct 7, 19, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
I believe the OP is trying to understand booking rules as they apply as a reward ticket issued by a partner airline.

The yes & no responses are slightly confusing.

Basically what you are trying to say is that when all the "available seats" on the online map are taken, you may be out of luck.

The OP is asking if s/he is entitled to even see and access the seat map and the answer is a definitive yes since the tickets are not classified as Basic Economy. Once the TK award is booked, note the UA confirmation number and access your reservation on the UA website for seat selection.

In regards to the carry on question again the yes & no response is confusing.

It goes without saying that if you are in a later boarding group or if space runs out you will be made to check in a bag. This applies universally to all commercial air travel situations not just UA.

The OP is asking if there are any known restrictions to his/her carry on allowance specifically in regards to a TK award ticket on UA metal that would absolutely prohibit him/her from having a carry on. The answer again is no. You ticket is not subject to Basic Economy rules.

And finally in regards to free UA baggage credit. It is true I was only addressing free baggage associated with qualifying Chase Cards. What I meant to say is that whatever qualifies you for free baggage whether it be elite tier membership or credit card/frequent flyer number, make sure that that your MP number is associated with the reservation so that the computer will grant you those benefits. But yes, those benefits are extended to a TK issued UA metal ticket.
You understand what I have said. Hence, what I said is not confusing.
Old Oct 7, 19, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Hi! Iíve never used Turkish Airlines before, but Iím trying to take advantage of transferring Citi TY points to Turkish to book United flights from US mainland (BNA) to Hawaii (OGG). If I book one of these flights, will I have a seat assignment? Will I have a carryon? If I get a baggage fee credit for checked bags on United flights, will that apply since itís a United flight? Or no because itís through Turkish?
For Mainland-Hawaii award travel in Economy Class, TY partner Singapore Airlines charges just 35,000 miles for the roundtrip. How many miles does Turkish charge?
Old Oct 13, 19, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
For Mainland-Hawaii award travel in Economy Class, TY partner Singapore Airlines charges just 35,000 miles for the roundtrip. How many miles does Turkish charge?
15,000 is the word on the street.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: