Citi to reinstate cancelled protection benefits?

Old Oct 3, 19, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by akr1970akr View Post
Most of these 'benefits' are not desirable to actually 'use'. I don't want travel delAAys ! or accidents or unhappy circumstances requiring purch protection etc.

Some of the increased claims has to be coming from AA and her labor force problems, and my guess is Citi is more exposed to that carriers problems (and thus claims)
so I guess then premier cuts are tied to thank you and their labor force problems and prestige cuts to hotel work force that work only during the 4th night? And for doublecash: well double the cash, double the problems.
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer View Post
Also the travel blogs are surprisingly suspect on this. They’re usually good at picking up “rumors”.
Not really. If they were really that good, they would have breaking the news about the previous Citi Prestige discontinuation, rather than me. Instead, they were picking up my word.

Those people are literally advertisers, not sources of information.
akr1970akr and joe_miami like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Not really. If they were really that good, they would have breaking the news about the previous Citi Prestige discontinuation, rather than me. Instead, they were picking up my word.

Those people are literally advertisers, not sources of information.
sorry, but your 15 minutes are long past. Come back with another nugget, and I’ll reconsider my prior.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
I called back and got a veteran agent whose been working there for 10 years. He sounded like it too. He told me not to listen to that agent who said that. He said there has been discussion about it, but nothing official and they have no way to know for sure. There’s a reason they have not said anything publicly. He did say that they’re looking, but there is no way to know for sure of when they would be reinstated. He suggested I cancel, and if the travel protection is important to me go for the Costco card. Or wait for something official.

He did say it was a Visa and MasterCard issue, which is why the Costco card has it. I just can’t fathom Citi being competitive and NOT bringing the benefits back. Unless they plan on exiting the higher end card market to compete with chase and Amex. I will miss my priority pass... ugh
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Again, why not just wait a month?
Old Oct 4, 19, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Again, why not just wait a month?
Well this veteran agent notated my account and said I’m eligible for a $412 reimbursement on my annual fee. He said I have about 30 days. So I probably will wait for now.
Old Oct 4, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I do value the insurance that cards provide.
That is why my Citi World Mastercard is now buried, only being used for Admirals Club admissions. I now consider the AF the cost of using the AC (which is discounted so it is a benefit).
If they bring back the insurance, then I will start to reuse it.

I have the same problem with my Amex Plat card. No really good travel insurance benefits. So it too has gotten buried (but at least I don't have to pay for it).

Most of my travel is now on my Chase business card. This is not optimal for obvious reasons (personal vs business) but other than getting another Chase card, I have no choice until Amex and Citi get their proverbial head out from between their legs and reinstate the lost benefits. I may have a long beard (and I am clean shaven) before that happens
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Amex is adding some travel insurance to its premium cards in the months ahead. Announced a couple weeks ago.
Old Oct 9, 19, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Possible. The benefits withdrawn appear to have been provided by MasterCard, and other issuers are also removing them from their card products. It is certainly possible that Citi is negotiating their own contracts, but it seems odd that they would not have mentioned this in their original notice if agreements were in place.
The Costco card had trip insurance that was removed, and it was Visa Signature, not MC. Do we know who serviced those plans? It would be nice if they brought it back through a third party.

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I do value the insurance that cards provide.
I have the same problem with my Amex Plat card. No really good travel insurance benefits. So it too has gotten buried (but at least I don't have to pay for it).
Trip Delay and Interruption coverage is coming in 2020. Details have not been announced yet. Might want to consider thawing it out!
Amex adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Do any cards still have trip delay coverage?
Old Yesterday, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Any word on these benefits yet? My time yo cancel my card is almost up.

Search this Thread