Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige weight increasing now to 18 grams?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

“Citi is making its trendy metal Prestige card even heavier, but its design comes second to benefits like a fourth night free on hotel stays...”

https://www.businessinsider.com/heav...restige-2019-7

Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
“...but its design comes second to benefits like a fourth night free on hotel stays...”

LOL
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:12 pm

I sincerely hope this isn't one of the new benefits that is supposedly coming. Like I need a heavier wallet.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I guess the added cost to the card explains why they gutted all insurance benefits from the card. Glad to see they got their priorities straight.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Maybe its made out of Adamantium
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Next move:
Amex makes the Platinum card out of real Platinum and hikes fee to $990
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
Next move:
You're missing a "0"
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by moe8555
Next move:
Apple Card is free Platinum, and the AMEX Plat is already really nice. The Citi Prestige barely feels any different than a plastic card in its current state... Not surprised with Citi's thriftiness.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:21 pm

Citi Prestige - $450/year, unknown metal alloy sandwiched by two thin sheets of plastic. Name/card number printed onto the plastic layer. Word and number alignment appear to be optional

Apple Credit Card - No AF. Titanium. Name laser etched onto card.

Granted, there are other factors involved but..... really Citi? Why bother with any sort of announcement because it's just embarrassing. Citi could have made the change and some people would have been pleasantly surprised at any perceived "quality improvement", while most others would not have cared. The new Apple card is admittedly feature-poor, but it has no annual fee compared to the Prestige that has a $450 annual fee and a whole list of benefits benefits and features that have been rapidly disappearing.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I got one of these new heavier cards today (received a replacement card due to card details being compromised). It is noticeably heavier than the previous version. The card also has the contactless logo on the back just above the card number now. No other design changes.
mikesyr18 and milesforhire like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by immaculate
I got one of these new heavier cards today (received a replacement card due to card details being compromised). It is noticeably heavier than the previous version. The card also has the contactless logo on the back just above the card number now. No other design changes.
I ordered contactless Amex Platinum recently, and it's 2g lighter than non-contactless I had before, at 16g now.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by baroqen
Citi Prestige - $450/year, unknown metal alloy sandwiched by two thin sheets of plastic. Name/card number printed onto the plastic layer. Word and number alignment appear to be optional

Apple Credit Card - No AF. Titanium. Name laser etched onto card.

Granted, there are other factors involved but..... really Citi? Why bother with any sort of announcement because it's just embarrassing. Citi could have made the change and some people would have been pleasantly surprised at any perceived "quality improvement", while most others would not have cared. The new Apple card is admittedly feature-poor, but it has no annual fee compared to the Prestige that has a $450 annual fee and a whole list of benefits benefits and features that have been rapidly disappearing.
What's worse, is that the AF for the Prestige is actually $495.

If you didn't expect Citi to cut corners on the Prestige's card quality when they advised everyone they were switching to a metal design, you don't know Citi's business practices well enough. One look at the Premier tells it all... The most flimsy card I've ever used. Citi is also an incredibly thrifty bank and cuts corners everywhere, even for people who have premium checking accounts. For Citi to have an extremely flimsy "metal" card came as no surprise. The fact that the lettering alignment was off is just typical of Citi... They're a goofy bank ran by a goofy CEO. Have you ever seen him?

I've recently read that Citi's upper management was cleaned out and replaced, so maybe, just maybe they'll finally provide U.S customer service reps for Priority customers, and provide quality card materials for all cards (not just Prestige) going forward. Hopefully we'll see some more positive changes going forward so they aren't the laughing stock of the banking industry anymore.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I just got my heavy Prestige today and it feels pretty good. Not quite Amex Plat, but close.

Definitely worth losing 4th night free and travel benefits for! /s
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:47 pm

Who cares! It is a credit card. Does having a metal card mean you are more valuable?
Those people who think so should just buy the "I AM RICH" app

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.