Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Double Cash to allow conversion to ThankYou Points (Fall 2019)

Old Jul 7, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ankyou-points/

Not sure about the ratio yet, but it seems like a cardholder will be able to convert earned cash into Thank You points, which may be useful if one holds a second Citi card, such as the Premier.

DoC is thinking one of three options:

2% to 1 TYP
2% to 1.5 TYP
2% to 2 TYP.

Knowing Citi lately, in my opinion, it'll be more like 2% to 1.25 Thank You Points.
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:31 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
2% cash back = 1 Citi ThankYou point
2% cash back = 1.5 Citi ThankYou points
2% cash back = 2 Citi ThankYou points
The first option is not useful at all, the second option is comparable to something like the Chase Freedom Unlimited and the third option would be a game changer. I suspect we will see something like the middle option, but who knows with Citi.
Only if the points are transferable to airlines (which should require also holding Prestige or Premier), but if Citi locks out that possibility a $0.02=2 TYP transfer does not increase value.
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Only if the points are transferable to airlines (which should require also holding Prestige or Premier), but if Citi locks out that possibility a $0.02=2 TYP transfer does not increase value.
A Citi trifecta between the Rewards+, Double Cash, and Premier may be valuable for a lot of people... Let's hope Citi will allow people to pool points together and redeem them in every way possible.

If the transfer rate is 2:2, someone could redeem through the airline portal at 2.5/dollar spent on the DC. I understand it's not at outsized value, but definitely worth more than redeeming for domestic flights directly through the airlines, especially with the numerous devaluations over the years.
Old Jul 7, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
A Citi trifecta between the Rewards+, Double Cash, and Premier may be valuable for a lot of people... Let's hope Citi will allow people to pool points together and redeem them in every way possible.

If the transfer rate is 2:2, someone could redeem through the airline portal at 2.5/dollar spent on the DC. I understand it's not at outsized value, but definitely worth more than redeeming for domestic flights directly through the airlines, especially with the numerous devaluations over the years.
The portal is less flexible in airlines, fares, and other aspects than outright booking cash. I'm not sure I'd be really willing to get 2.5c of 'value' for that method vs. 2c straight up, and booking travel directly.
Old Jul 7, 19, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akr1970akr View Post
The portal is less flexible in airlines, fares, and other aspects than outright booking cash. I'm not sure I'd be really willing to get 2.5c of 'value' for that method vs. 2c straight up, and booking travel directly.
The extra 0.5% adds up... Didn't realize it until I had a USAA Limtless card.

If one spends $35,000/year on the DC, that's an extra $175 in value. May not seem like a lot, but you're talking credit card rewards, which don't generate a sizable income unless you're spending hundreds of thousands per year on them.
Old Jul 8, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: DL DM
The extra 0.5% adds up... Didn't realize it until I had a USAA Limtless card.

If one spends $35,000/year on the DC, that's an extra $175 in value. May not seem like a lot, but you're talking credit card rewards, which don't generate a sizable income unless you're spending hundreds of thousands per year on them.
It gets even better if you have the Citi Trifecta, as you described in an earlier post. If you can redeem the TYP for 1.25 cents (thanks to the Premier), and then get 10% back (thanks to the Rewards+), you effectively get about 1.39 cents/point (since if you redeem 10K points for $125, you get 1K back, so its basically like 9K points gets you $125). In your $35K spend example, you would get effectively about an extra $272 over cashing it out.

Since I currently use a both the Premier and Rewards+ (as well as the AT&T Access), I am curious to see what TYP redemption is for the DC. Even if it is 2% back converts to 1.5 TYP, I may go for it, given that I get the 10% back on redeemed points and Citi has frequent transfer bonuses to programs I tend to use (like Virgin Atlantic).
akr1970akr and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Jul 9, 19, 6:01 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by mia View Post
It does, since if you have Premier you will get 1.25cpp on travel. Plus, if you have Rewards+, it will increase the value to 1.39cpp up to 100k, or more if you have multiple R+ cards. This will also increase to 1.85cpp, if you have Prestige, Premier and Rewards+, and if you book 4 nights via portal, but only 2 times a year.
Old Jul 9, 19, 6:07 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, TK, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton

I'd say more like hexafecta: Prestige, Premier, Rewards+, DC, AT&T AM, and Sears.
akr1970akr likes this.

Last edited by yugi; Jul 9, 19 at 6:13 pm
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:13 pm

Am I missing something? In my doublecash Thankyou account the only transfers are Shop this Way and Jetblue?
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Am I missing something? In my doublecash Thankyou account the only transfers are Shop this Way and Jetblue?
Do you have any annual-fee ThankYou cards? That's what you need to enable transfers to a choice of airlines with ThankYou points.

What you're seeing is the limits of transfers when all you have is no-AF TYP cards. It's no better with Rewards+ (by itself).
Old Feb 1, 20, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Do you have any annual-fee ThankYou cards? That's what you need to enable transfers to a choice of airlines with ThankYou points.

What you're seeing is the limits of transfers when all you have is no-AF TYP cards. It's no better with Rewards+ (by itself).
Do you have a doublecash card?
It shows up separately (have plenty of other cards like prestige).
Wondering if nobody else realized this limitation or there is a trick
Old Feb 1, 20, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Do you have a doublecash card?
It shows up separately (have plenty of other cards like prestige).
Wondering if nobody else realized this limitation or there is a trick
Not really a trick, but you either need to transfer points from your DC TY account, which triggers an expiration clock, or merge your TY accounts under your prestige. There is an option to do the latter online, but it's extremely sensitive about name/address matching between your various TY accounts. It may be easiest to just call the TY desk and have them do the merger.
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by xov91 View Post
Not really a trick, but you either need to transfer points from your DC TY account, which triggers an expiration clock, or merge your TY accounts under your prestige. There is an option to do the latter online, but it's extremely sensitive about name/address matching between your various TY accounts. It may be easiest to just call the TY desk and have them do the merger.
Ah, thanks. Couldn't do it online so I called in and they combined it.
Old Apr 9, 20, 9:01 pm

Sorry if posted elsewhere. My search brought up nothing. About to cancel my Prestige, so I transferred last of my TYP to Singapore. Last step was converting my dbl cash back $ to TYP. Once I converted, dbl cash bk $ disappeared but nothing showed up in TYP acct.
It wasn't chump change - was $476.00 (47,600K). Called, was told sometimes it takes a day or three to show back up as TYPs. Anyone experience this?
Old Apr 10, 20, 1:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Originally Posted by acker View Post
was told sometimes it takes a day or three to show back up as TYPs. Anyone experience this?
yep. Happens to me all the time. For me, they do show up in under 48 hours.

Iíve started just converting them as soon as my statement closes so that I can hopefully avoid a situation where I need to do it instantly.

I assume you plan on transferring them to an airline before you close the prestige?

If not, youíll lose the ability to transfer them out and the non-airline transfer options for TY arenít great

Search this Thread
Search Engine: