Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Double Cash to allow conversion to ThankYou Points (Fall 2019)

Citi Double Cash to allow conversion to ThankYou Points (Fall 2019)

Old Apr 10, 20, 4:46 am

Oh yes, converting them for sure. then pulling the plug. My days of huge AFs are in my rear view mirror.
After TYP conversions I'm swimming in Avianca, KrisFlyer, and Flying Blue miles.
Before the world changed, I wait-listed on dozen on Singapore flights, with the goal of flying their A350. No doubt we'll fly it, just don't know when...

Just checked, TYPs showed up this morn. Took just under 2 days for the conversion.

Last edited by acker; Apr 10, 20 at 4:57 am
Old Apr 11, 20, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acker View Post
Oh yes, converting them for sure. then pulling the plug. My days of huge AFs are in my rear view mirror.
After TYP conversions I'm swimming in Avianca, KrisFlyer, and Flying Blue miles.
Before the world changed, I wait-listed on dozen on Singapore flights, with the goal of flying their A350. No doubt we'll fly it, just don't know when...
Well, keep in mind that Singapore miles expire "hard" (no extension through "activity") 3 years after earned or transferred in, so you better use it all before then.

Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire
Old Apr 12, 20, 6:52 am

Been been using Singapore miles for years, never have to worry about miles expiring. The A380 experience is great, once is enough. Singapore has lots of sweet spots, not just the dozen always listed by bloggers. I like the A350 because EWN-SIN is convenient for me. I remember flying this non-stop route back in '08, before they canceled it (only to bring it back).
Who knows what flying and travel will look like after this is over? Just got my weekly Award Wallet Rewards Activity email. 7,240,174 miles/points total. I use them like crazy but they still keep coming. Never had a point/mile expire. If you're good at this hobby, you take what the travel bloggers say (Gleff and DoC excluded) with a grain of salt and chart your own course.
mia, akr1970akr and roundtree like this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:33 am

Has anyone tried to convert Double Cash cash back to Thank You points by having the Premier/Prestige card? They added this option last fall. If so, is the conversion instant, or does it really take the 48-72 hours they quote? I've had major problems for the past 3 months trying to convert. I call Citi, they say they see a problem, and forward it to a technical team. 3 months and nothing has been solved. Seems like yesterday they maybe FINALLY solved it. But I tried this morning, and still nothing. Cash back rewards dollars get deducted, but Thank You points balance doesn't change. Just wondering the conversion time frame.
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:49 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by History05 View Post
....Cash back rewards dollars get deducted, but Thank You points balance doesn't change.....
The DoubleCash card has a separate ThankYou Rewards account. You won't see a change in the Prestige/Preferred ThankYou balance.

This sounds similar to the problem we had with Ms mia's DoubleCash account. We converted $10 to 1,000 points, and we could "see" the balance, but there was no way to access the points, the link just refreshed the display.

My DoubleCash behaves as expected, though I have not actually completed the final step of Sharing points from the DoubleCash TY balance to the Premier TY balance.
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
The DoubleCash card has a separate ThankYou Rewards account. You won't see a change in the Prestige/Preferred ThankYou balance.

This sounds similar to the problem we had with Ms mia's DoubleCash account. We converted $10 to 1,000 points, and we could "see" the balance, but there was no way to access the points, the link just refreshed the display.

My DoubleCash behaves as expected, though I have not actually completed the final step of Sharing points from the DoubleCash TY balance to the Premier TY balance.
Thanks. I received a new Thank You account # for my existing Double Cash card last night (after all the issues for the past 3 months, CITI thought maybe a new TY account # would be the fix). This morning I combined the new Double Cash Thank you account # with my existing Thank You Premier account #. So all points, cash back conversions to TY points, etc., should now all funnel into the Premier Thank You account. I tried $10 as a test. The $10 deducted from my cash back balance, but the 1,000 points didn't appear. Just wondering if it'll take 1-2 days, or if there's still a problem with my account.
Old Sep 19, 20, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently converted an AT&T Access (no AF) card to DoubleCash, and the materials I got seemed to say that you have to have a minimum of $25 cashback to do a conversion from cashback to TYP.

So I wonder if the $10 cashback to TYP conversions are failing because they under that limit, but Citi's website is too broken to block you from redeeming too little or tell you that's the problem?
Old Sep 20, 20, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by History05 View Post
Thanks. I received a new Thank You account # for my existing Double Cash card last night (after all the issues for the past 3 months, CITI thought maybe a new TY account # would be the fix). This morning I combined the new Double Cash Thank you account # with my existing Thank You Premier account #. So all points, cash back conversions to TY points, etc., should now all funnel into the Premier Thank You account. I tried $10 as a test. The $10 deducted from my cash back balance, but the 1,000 points didn't appear. Just wondering if it'll take 1-2 days, or if there's still a problem with my account.
Just an update, the conversions are finally working normal. After 3 months, I resorted to CITI customer service through twitter, and angry direct messages. Problem got solved in less than 5 days. First two test conversions of Double Cash Back to Premier Thank You points account took 24-36 hrs. All point conversions now are instant.
Old Sep 20, 20, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I recently converted an AT&T Access (no AF) card to DoubleCash, and the materials I got seemed to say that you have to have a minimum of $25 cashback to do a conversion from cashback to TYP.

So I wonder if the $10 cashback to TYP conversions are failing because they under that limit, but Citi's website is too broken to block you from redeeming too little or tell you that's the problem?
Things are working properly now. The $10=1000 points did finally work. Even a $1=100 points conversion was successful.
Old Nov 20, 20, 10:33 pm

I'm having problems with my Double Cashback to TYP conversion which I did last week in app; cash back deducted from the Double Cash but points never appeared on my TY balance and it has been 10 days. Agent tried to convince me (after being transferred around twice because I'm elite and they couldn't access my account?) that my balance already reflected the conversion (lol!). It was working fine up until now and of course it's for 44k points. Sigh, what a headache....she opened a case for me, but I'm not too hopeful. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 4, 20, 8:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ECCM View Post
I'm having problems with my Double Cashback to TYP conversion which I did last week in app; cash back deducted from the Double Cash but points never appeared on my TY balance and it has been 10 days. Agent tried to convince me (after being transferred around twice because I'm elite and they couldn't access my account?) that my balance already reflected the conversion (lol!). It was working fine up until now and of course it's for 44k points. Sigh, what a headache....she opened a case for me, but I'm not too hopeful. Any suggestions?
Hopefully this was resolved by now for you.

I had the same issue with a 6k point conversion this Monday. To possibly help anyone else, I used the chat on the thankyou.com site after a couple days of waiting to resolve it. They could see the transaction being initiated and even copy-pasted the record to show me, but could tell it didn't arrive in the TY account. The rep said he initiated a request and it would take 24 hours. This was late on Wed, and Friday morning they showed up. He also gave me an unsolicited 500 points for my troubles.
Old Mar 17, 21, 8:37 am

I have been having this same issue. The converted cash disappears but the points never show up. I contact citi and they tell me to wait at least 5 business days. After I’ve waited 5 business days they seem to be able to do something manually via chat that makes them post a day or two later.

After a bit of a vacation from citi I got seduced by the double cash premier rewards plus trifecta and have been putting a lot of non bonus spend on double cash. But I forgot how truly awful citi is.
Old Mar 18, 21, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by lkar View Post
I have been having this same issue. The converted cash disappears but the points never show up. I contact citi and they tell me to wait at least 5 business days. After Iíve waited 5 business days they seem to be able to do something manually via chat that makes them post a day or two later.

After a bit of a vacation from citi I got seduced by the double cash premier rewards plus trifecta and have been putting a lot of non bonus spend on double cash. But I forgot how truly awful citi is.
I had this problem for months last summer. I opened a CITI Premier. Then I did a product change from CITI preferred to CITI Double Cash. Converted cash back would disappear, but points would never show. They always told me everything looks fine and give it 5 days to convert (even though it should happen instantly). Took probably 10 calls over 3-4 months before I finally got someone who did anything about it. Turns out when they did the product change, they closed my Thank You account tied to my Citi Preferred. They never tied the Double Cash and CITI Premier together (even though they said they did and it looked fine). So converted cash back was disappearing into a closed CITI Preferred Thank You account.

I finally resorted to Twitter and threatened to contact the head person at CITI in charge of customer service for CITI Thank You points (I had no idea how to contact her, lol, but it seemed to work). I got a response the next day saying it's been escalated and will get fixed. It was fixed within a week. Now everything works as normal. Converted cash back show as thank you points instantly.
mia, lkar and happychic like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: