Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Other than the website, has anyone received any notification from Citi regarding these changes?

I don't recall getting anything, and we're now over 6 weeks since this thread started, and only 6 weeks until the changes take effect...
Ive gotten a pop up a few times on the website
NCTraveler101 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:23 am

Never used the coverage even though probably could have.

BTW, BoA is following suit to some degree, starting Oct 1st.

Last edited by Dream of Flying; Aug 15, 2019 at 1:22 am
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question Citi AAdvantage $450 card - sleezy move

CITI bank charged us $450 in June for our AA "uber" card then extremely quietly 2 months later (buried in a lot of fine print during high vacation when they clearly hoped no one would see it) cancelled all of the insurances that came with the card (trip cancellation, car etc.). They tried to tell us that we should not care about this because, hey, we still got free bags etc. No replacement benefit for this hole in our $450 coverage. Supposedly one is "coming" (free peanuts??).

My husband proved they had not sent what they told us they sent us about this and cancelled the card for a prorated refund. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good alternative? We did rely on the insurances but also used the Admirals Club whenever we flew (although now you will need a same day ticket on AA - another big change). Any ideas for what to replace the Citi card with??
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved your post into the existing thread discussing the benefit changes.

Originally Posted by mstraveler
.... Any ideas for what to replace the Citi card with??
There is no alternative for access to AA lounges. Citi Executive is the most cost effective way to buy a membership.

Scroll back to read what others think about insurance benefits.

See also this thread: Alternative to Citi Prestige (Even through you have Citi Executive, the alternatives are similar.)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by mia
I have moved your post into the existing thread discussing the benefit changes.

There is no alternative for access to AA lounges. Citi Executive is the most cost effective way to buy a membership.

Scroll back to read what others think about insurance benefits.

See also this thread: Alternative to Citi Prestige (Even through you have Citi Executive, the alternatives are similar.)
Thanks mia and thanks Moderator for moving this. I think we are just going to live without the Admirals Club for now and use Priority Pass or United Club. We don't end up flying AA that much and with the new clawback of access (need same day ticket on AA flight) it just isn't worth it to us.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Their flight delay issue right now doesn't help sell the AAdmirals Club either.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Their flight delay issue right now doesn't help sell the AAdmirals Club either.
That airline is a mess. I avoid it whenever possible. Thankfully that is mostly all the time
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I got the notification that Chase paid my car rental insurance claim. $895 for a tiny dent. No need to involve my insurance. Chase is the clear winner for me, especially when Citi will provide nothing at all.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:22 am

So now I have a AC Membership card with a M/C logo But for me and my 4 AU's who use the lounges it's a no brainer. As far as a CC not so much.
mia and akr1970akr like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
End of the road

Makes me wonder if all the people who have churned AA Citi cards over the past 10-15 years and and reaped tons of money (points/miles) via churning and MS have ruined the game for everyone?

Citi have finally figured out that it is simply not worth it and look to be exiting the game. They want true loyal customers who don't churn or buy cash cards to pay their mortgages so they can earn more bonuses..All signs say ....yes
Frankly they should have long ago limited to one sign up bonus per card lifetime like some other card issuers. If you can't afford to travel, maybe you shouldn't. Why make other people pay for your travel, just because you are slick?

I think we will be entering a far different world as far as CC rewards/bonuses in the near future...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by wolfie52
Makes me wonder if all the people who have churned AA Citi cards over the past 10-15 years and and reaped tons of money (points/miles) via churning and MS have ruined the game for everyone?

Citi have finally figured out that it is simply not worth it and look to be exiting the game. They want true loyal customers who don't churn or buy cash cards to pay their mortgages so they can earn more bonuses..All signs say ....yes
Frankly they should have long ago limited to one sign up bonus per card lifetime like some other card issuers. If you can't afford to travel, maybe you shouldn't. Why make other people pay for your travel, just because you are slick?

I think we will be entering a far different world as far as CC rewards/bonuses in the near future...
I agree. I think the CC business will see some dramatic changes in the near future. Millennials seem to be a lot less interested in Credit Card/banking and prefer to manage their spend and buying differently. Venmo and their M/C and the new Apple credit will get a lot of traction.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by wolfie52

Citi have finally figured out that it is simply not worth it and look to be exiting the game. They want true loyal customers who don't churn or buy cash cards to pay their mortgages so they can earn more bonuses...
Citi can't even get out of their own way. People shouldn't care what Citi is doing... They'll always be the bank that strives to give less so they can cut corners. TY points suck compared to UR and MR for 95% of card users.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I agree with Mia here. The only reason for having an AA Citi Executive card is for the discount on club admission. I suspect that if you need the 10,000 EQMs for spend, that would be a secondary reason but you need $40K in spend for that so I suspect that is not likely for most.
I have moved all of my other spend for travel to my Chase Ink card which has much better insurance coverage
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by radonc1
I agree with Mia here. The only reason for having an AA Citi Executive card is for the discount on club admission. I suspect that if you need the 10,000 EQMs for spend, that would be a secondary reason but you need $40K in spend for that so I suspect that is not likely for most.
I have moved all of my other spend for travel to my Chase Ink card which has much better insurance coverage
AA Citi Executive is definitely a great card. In fact, it's probably the best card Citi has now. The earnings are kinda "meh," but the airline benefits are nice. The Prestige has been nerfed so much, it's taken a back seat the AA Executive.

Rumor has it Michael Corbat is on his way out because Citi has missed their profit marks over the last few years... Could be a reason why Citi has nerfed the Prestige so many times and benefits on all of their other cards.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/427...-deserves-time

Citi won't even let the guy be chairman of the board because they want to have the easiest avenue to remove him if need be. Perhaps the next CEO will manage the bank better and bring respect back to it. Currently, it's the joker bank of the USA.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by ellinj
I got the notification that Chase paid my car rental insurance claim. $895 for a tiny dent. No need to involve my insurance. Chase is the clear winner for me, especially when Citi will provide nothing at all.
Which Chase card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.