Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Most Citi "Protection" benefits and Price Rewind discontinued September 22, 2019

Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jags86

We all know that those terms are a technicality and the reality is that you can redeem your points for cash at $0.015 each if you’re willing to do 1 or 2 additional steps.
I'd certainly be interested in learning how I can redeem my AR points for a prepaid, $70 Avis/Budget prepaid rental, while still charging the rental to the card so that I can get the primary LDW coverage. PMs welcome.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by guv1976
I'd certainly be interested in learning how I can redeem my AR points for a prepaid, $70 Avis/Budget prepaid rental, while still charging the rental to the card so that I can get the primary LDW coverage. PMs welcome.
I don't know if it's possible for prepaid. For postpaid, if you're relatively certain you didn't damage the car, just switch the payment used for the rental when you return.
akr1970akr and milesforhire like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I don't know if it's possible for prepaid. For postpaid, if you're relatively certain you didn't damage the car, just switch the payment used for the rental when you return.

How would paying for the rental with a different card allow me to redeem AR points? And why would I ever want to pay for a car rental with a different card when car rentals charged to the AR earn three points per dollar?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:22 pm

Cheapest Way to Cancel Card but Keep Thank You Points..

I may have missed this earlier in the thread.

What's the cheapest card I can get that would enable me to keep my accumulated Thank You points and cancel the Prestige Card? I'm not interested in retaining other possible benefits - I just don't want to throw away the points.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:41 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
.... keep my accumulated Thank You points and cancel the Prestige Card? ...
You need to downgrade rather than cancel, BUT if you downgrade lower than Premier the points are no longer transferable to airlines.

Ample discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...derations.html
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
OK, looking at the Chase Saphire for the travel benefits but in reading their insurance plan it is not nearly as good as what we are losing from Citi. Specifically, they do not offer job loss protection for flights. This is a big deal to me because I work contracts and this Citi benefit allowed me to purchase my tickets 4 months out with little worry in case the contract got cancelled. Anyone read Chase's benefits differently than me or know for sure if I am reading this correctly.

PK
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by guv1976
True, but although the $325 in travel credits get applied to travel purchases of any amount, the points you earn from purchases require a minimum charge of $250 to redeem for a car rental, and a minimum of $500 to redeem for a hotel/motel stay.
There is no minimum for airlines and ground transportation though. You also get 12 gogo passes per year.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
The relevant questions for me:

- Till when can we downgrade Prestige and get AF back?

- Does downgrading still keep benefits like Extended warranty?
I just read the FAQ on citi against. Extended Warranty remains for Prestige.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:46 pm

After getting my request for trip delay completely covered (up to $500), just requiring some back and forth responses (annoying, but not difficult), no wonder Citi is discontinuing its benefits. Too easy to get!
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:59 pm

Any airline tickets purchased before Sept 22nd are still covered?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by voodoogirl
Any airline tickets purchased before Sept 22nd are still covered?
Per blogs yes, don't know how that will work.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Other than the website, has anyone received any notification from Citi regarding these changes?

I don't recall getting anything, and we're now over 6 weeks since this thread started, and only 6 weeks until the changes take effect...
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:24 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by docbert
Other than the website, has anyone received any notification from Citi regarding these changes?

I don't recall getting anything, and we're now over 6 weeks since this thread started, and only 6 weeks until the changes take effect...
For my Prestige Card, it was on my July statement.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by docbert

Originally Posted by dw

For my Prestige Card, it was on my July statement.
I also received notice on the July statement for my Premier card.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wylek
I also received notice on the July statement for my Premier card.
Yup, checked mine and it was there - albeit in the part of the statement that I never actually bother reading which is why I didn't notice it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.