Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Organic versus Manufactured spend to earn new account bonus with AA mailers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organic versus Manufactured spend to earn new account bonus with AA mailers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Received two AA cards this year, 100% organic
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I did the same. Decided the 2.2% my rent payment service charges was worth it for convenience sake. Still had some MS just to get through the MSR quick when we had 60k/$6k, but now it's one card a month (hopefully ongoing) and rent/a few other recurring charges.
Yep, same for me. I'll pay the 2+% fee for 60-75k points, no question. Only way I can do a monthly churn since liquidating GCs for me is a PITA.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I wouldn't call it MS, but between taxes, insurance, club dues and my wife's haircuts we can do about 10 AA cards a year. On the taxes I pay the 1.xx percent service charge mark up, on the rest I guess I pay the built-in credit card mark up. One way or another, we pay.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
I wouldn't call it MS, but between taxes, insurance, club dues and my wife's haircuts we can do about 10 AA cards a year. On the taxes I pay the 1.xx percent service charge mark up, on the rest I guess I pay the built-in credit card mark up. One way or another, we pay.
That assumes you have an option to pay cash at a discount.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
That assumes you have an option to pay cash at a discount.
No it doesn't. I would argue that every retail price has a built-in 2 - 3% margin for credit card fees. We as consumers pay that fee. If we pay cash, that fee goes to the merchant as additional profit.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
No it doesn't. I would argue that every retail price has a built-in 2 - 3% margin for credit card fees. We as consumers pay that fee. If we pay cash, that fee goes to the merchant as additional profit.
Then I'm losing your original point. Is it that since we're all paying this markup that is built into everything, we're all really paying for these credit card bonuses we're getting?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Then I'm losing your original point. Is it that since we're all paying this markup that is built into everything, we're all really paying for these credit card bonuses we're getting?
That's exactly my point. Banks typically don't lose money on credit cards (except maybe Chase on some of their's), so yes, somebody is paying for the bonuses. I call it the skimming economy. Give or take 3% is "skimmed" from every credit card transaction by the Visas and Amexs of the world. In return, some of us get sign-up bonuses, some of us get to enjoy free credit (the grace period), we all get the convenience of whipping out a piece of plastic at the store instead of carrying copious amounts of cash. And then there are quite a few who get to pay 25% interest on their balances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.