Citi Prestige Insurance Terror Incident

Old Apr 23, 19, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Citi Prestige Insurance Terror Incident

My wife and I are booked to go to Sri Lanka in early June. We called the hotel this morning and they refused a refund when we went to cancel. The way I read the Prestige insurance is that I am covered if we cancel. Anyone have any insight or advice before I start the process? Thanks
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Los_Pepes View Post
My wife and I are booked to go to Sri Lanka in early June. We called the hotel this morning and they refused a refund when we went to cancel. The way I read the Prestige insurance is that I am covered if we cancel. Anyone have any insight or advice before I start the process? Thanks
Check the fine print for exclusions. War and terrorism are often excluded.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: UA
There is often a time limitationó such as terrorist event occurred X days before arrival or during stay.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arttravel View Post
There is often a time limitationó such as terrorist event occurred X days before arrival or during stay.
I had read somewhere the same thing (30 days) but I don't think it is applicable any longer. I just hung up with them and they essentially stated that it is covered (subject to an official adjusters approval). As long as the booking was made before the incident they claimed it is covered.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:54 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I believe the current benefits booklet is here:

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...R20_FINAL.ashx
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're in the USA, check whether the USA government (state department) has issued a travel warning (and especially at what level of threat) in response to the incident. Often this matters to an insurance company. There are similar systems for Great Britain and at least a couple other countries.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you're in the USA, check whether the USA government (state department) has issued a travel warning (and especially at what level of threat) in response to the incident. Often this matters to an insurance company. There are similar systems for Great Britain and at least a couple other countries.
As I read it, there is no mention of a travel warning change only if the incident was "certified" as a terror incident. I can't see any circumstance where that would happen here. "A terrorist incident certified by a government agency, occurs in the Covered Travelerís Trip destination or a connecting city used to reach the Covered Travelerís Trip destination."
Old Apr 23, 19, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes View Post
As I read it, there is no mention of a travel warning change only if the incident was "certified" as a terror incident. I can't see any circumstance where that would happen here. "A terrorist incident certified by a government agency, occurs in the Covered Travelerís Trip destination or a connecting city used to reach the Covered Travelerís Trip destination."
Have you asked them what documentation is needed? The Sri Lankan Govt. has declared a State of Emergency. The US Dept of State has put out a statement condemning the terrorist attacks -- so the US Department of State thinks it was terrorism. Would that be sufficient?
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not call back during regular business hours and ask what it is that the insurer wants by way of documentation. doing anything until you have that information.