Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline partners not those I usually fly

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Airline partners not those I usually fly

Im having hard time finding value for these ThankYou points because these airlines are not major US carriers. I understand you can book thru alliances, but I imagine seating is limited. Anyone with different experiences?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Seating is limited when you redeem through an airline's own program. Why not look for availability rather than assume?
roundtree likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have any desire to travel internationally, or do you only want to travel domestically? Because, if you want to travel internationally (particularly in premium cabins) major US airlines often offer a worse experience than top European or Asian airlines. This might be a good time to try a new airline. In particular, there are some top-end classes of service (SQ Suites, EY Residences) that can be booked by transferring miles to those airlines directly but not through partners.

If you only want to travel domestically, there are some options, both for independent airlines that are partners with major US airlines, and alliance members.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Avianca LifeMiles has become my go-to for TYP redemption, both internationally and for domestic UA flights, the latter of which are often cheaper than with UA miles themselves. I once lucked out when needing to waitlist on EVA with their own miles, which I could only do with TYP, but other than that, I don't get a lot of value out of the other transfer partners.
sdsearch and roundtree like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:30 am

Getting 1.25 cents per point when redeeming through their TYP portal is not terrible either. I am not sure if I got lucky or what, but they were also cheaper in price on a Malaysia Airlines flight advertised on Google Flights / the major OTAs.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Getting 1.25 cents per point when redeeming through their TYP portal is not terrible either.
It's certainly better than 1 cpp, but really pales compared to the value available via partners. It's important to note that redeeming for travel at 1.25 cpp earns award and qualifying miles, so the value is a little higher once that's accounted for.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
It's certainly better than 1 cpp, but really pales compared to the value available via partners. It's important to note that redeeming for travel at 1.25 cpp earns award and qualifying miles, so the value is a little higher once that's accounted for.
I think the best use case is for buying cheap-ish economy tickets. Obviously for business class flights, it is a better way to go usually to transfer miles.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I think the best use case is for buying cheap-ish economy tickets. Obviously for business class flights, it is a better way to go usually to transfer miles.
For many airlines, saver economy space will open up very late on flights that are not full (even though walk-up prices remain high, often due to advance purchase requirements on cheap fares) This is one of the few times that it's possible to get good value for miles redemption on an economy ticket (if you are in a situation where you have no choice but to buy a walkup ticket). It's high enough that it's worthwhile to make sure that you always have enough miles in your account to get such an award ticket (since transfers are often not instantaneous, so you may not be able to rely on that in a walk-up situation)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.