Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline Cancelled Flight Booked using TYP Portal - Reaccommodation Rights?

Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM

Hi, we booked a TUN-FCO flight at 9am on Tunis Air (TU) using the TYP Portal (Connexions Loyalty). I got an email from TU that the flight is cancelled and they rebooked us on a 2pm flight. This is the only remaining TU flight of the day.

There are two Alitalia (AZ) flights, at 10:30am and 5:30pm.

2pm is an awful time to leave -- prevents us from doing much in the morning in Tunis, and prevents us from doing anything in the daytime in Rome when we arrive. It'd be much more useful to take either of the AZ flights.

Our TU flight was $91 (7700 points) at the time we ticketed. This is last minute, so, of course, the AZ flights are much more (~$186) than they would have been at the time when we could have booked them.

I've asked Connexions Loyalty to accommodate us on an AZ flight, and they said they have no authority to do that and it's up to TU if they want to pay for us to fly on AZ.

Do I have any rights with Connexions Loyalty / TYP, or are they within their rights to tell us to go pound sand?

Thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
In these cases, it's up to the airline to reaccomodate you, and given the circumstances (i.e. alternate flight available on the same airline later in the day; the airline not having any alliance or joint venture partners they could put you on earlier in the day), it's unlikely that Tunis Air would be willing to put you on one of the Alitalia flights.

If you're willing to pay the extra $100 or so per ticket, I would instead try to get a refund of the original ticket and book the Alitalia flight you want yourself.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
In these cases, it's up to the airline to reaccomodate you, and given the circumstances (i.e. alternate flight available on the same airline later in the day; the airline not having any alliance or joint venture partners they could put you on earlier in the day), it's unlikely that Tunis Air would be willing to put you on one of the Alitalia flights.

If you're willing to pay the extra $100 or so per ticket, I would instead try to get a refund of the original ticket and book the Alitalia flight you want yourself.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The TYP supervisor asked TU, and TU said they have no relationship with Alitalia and can't reaccomodate us but offered a refund. I'm not sure if it's worth $200. Knowing our luck, the Alitalia flight might be delayed a couple hours anyway.

Just to be clear, we have no RIGHT to a reaccomodation on Alitalia from either TYP/Citi or TU even though we're in a worse position than we were when we bought the TU ticket (i.e., the Alitalia ticket wouldn't have been that expensive when we booked the TU flight)?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like TU and AZ don't interline; in fact, TU might not interline with anyone.

Unfortunately EC261 doesn't apply and I wouldn't expect Tunisia to have helpful airline passenger protection regulations. Does the TU CoC (assuming that there's an English version posted on their website) say anything useful?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like TU and AZ don't interline; in fact, TU might not interline with anyone.

Unfortunately EC261 doesn't apply and I wouldn't expect Tunisia to have helpful airline passenger protection regulations. Does the TU CoC (assuming that there's an English version posted on their website) say anything useful?
Yep, I know EC261 doesn't apply. I just found the CoC: https://www.eximtours.cz/download/pdf/pp_Tunisair.pdf . Not sure if I should be looking for something else, but all that seems relevant is that I would be entitled to an involuntary refund:

Involuntary refunds 10.2.1 If we cancel a flight which is performed in excessively long timeframes compared to the programme schedule or which does not stop at your Stopover or at your destination or which causes you to miss a connection flight that you have booked, the amount of the refund will be: 10.2.1.1 Equal to the paid Fare, if no portion of the Ticket has been used. 10.2.1.2 at least equal to the difference between the paid Fare and the Fare corresponding to the carriage which was carried out between the destinations for which the Ticket has been used, if a portion of the Ticket has been used. 10.2.1.3 In the event of an involuntary refund, the administration fees will be refunded

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.