Search

$0 AF Citi card for EU resident?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
$0 AF Citi card for EU resident?

Hi everyone!

It comes the time of the year that I have to downgrade my Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard for any $0 No AF citi card. The reason is that is my oldest account and of course I'll like to keep it alive without paying a fee for the rest of my life.

My situation is very specific though. I don't reside in US. I reside in Europe and travel to the US often. I can only pick from Citi $0 AF as I just want to product change so i don't lose the age of this account and keep it over the years in a sustainable way.

Ideas that come to mind:

* AAdvantage MilesUp
* Citi Rewards+
* Costco Anywhere Visa

I value airline miles, and even AA miles as the currency of redemption I'm most familiar with. I have never used TY points before. Not sure how the value of the TY points compare to current AA miles when you play well both programs. I'll be pairing that card with the Citi Prestige which I will use for 90% of my purchases , but on this old line I don't know what card to apply as backup. I live most of the time of the year in EU, so when I come to the USA I spend 3 months at most. The whole chunk outside USA.

I wish I could redeem my points for travel, but if there are other competing rewards while should I incline for a card over the other please let me know. I have been a member of Costco but I'm currently are not. Costco is something I use while I am in the USA but I tend to use one of my relative's card. It Is something I could see a reward in signing up for but I haven't needed to as I can use my brother's card.

I really don't know what it would be better, these cards all have different rewards programs that I'm confused which one would be best. The MilesUp and Rewards+ have a 3% transaction fee and the Costco that I pay the $60 that I was already considering paying. I took the Double Cash away because most of these cash back stuff doesn't make sense to me as I live most of my time in Europe.

Thanks for your recommendations!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mvtm
Hi everyone!

It comes the time of the year that I have to downgrade my Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard for any $0 No AF citi card. The reason is that is my oldest account and of course I'll like to keep it alive without paying a fee for the rest of my life.

My situation is very specific though. I don't reside in US. I reside in Europe and travel to the US often. I can only pick from Citi $0 AF as I just want to product change so i don't lose the age of this account and keep it over the years in a sustainable way.

Ideas that come to mind:

* AAdvantage MilesUp
* Citi Rewards+
* Costco Anywhere Visa

I value airline miles, and even AA miles as the currency of redemption I'm most familiar with. I have never used TY points before. Not sure how the value of the TY points compare to current AA miles when you play well both programs. I'll be pairing that card with the Citi Prestige which I will use for 90% of my purchases , but on this old line I don't know what card to apply as backup. I live most of the time of the year in EU, so when I come to the USA I spend 3 months at most. The whole chunk outside USA.

I wish I could redeem my points for travel, but if there are other competing rewards while should I incline for a card over the other please let me know. I have been a member of Costco but I'm currently are not. Costco is something I use while I am in the USA but I tend to use one of my relative's card. It Is something I could see a reward in signing up for but I haven't needed to as I can use my brother's card.

I really don't know what it would be better, these cards all have different rewards programs that I'm confused which one would be best. The MilesUp and Rewards+ have a 3% transaction fee and the Costco that I pay the $60 that I was already considering paying. I took the Double Cash away because most of these cash back stuff doesn't make sense to me as I live most of my time in Europe.

Thanks for your recommendations!
I think you're best off continuing with the Prestige going forward, as the rewards/benefits are lucrative and there is no foreign transaction fee.

Since you won't actually be using your newly-converted card, I don't think it really matters which one you choose; however, there are 2 considerations I can think of:

1) The AA card would help prolong the life of your AA miles, as a single $1 charge would extend the expiration date by another 18 months.

2) The Rewards+ points would combine with Prestige, so in the event you did find yourself using it, at least the points wouldn't be orphaned. There is also the possibility that the 10% rebate may stack with Prestige, but this is unconfirmed.

And also consider the AT&T Access card, which also earns TYP that can pool with Prestige. It has a nice 2X bonus on many online purchases (but also a 3% FX fee).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by moe8555
I think you're best off continuing with the Prestige going forward, as the rewards/benefits are lucrative and there is no foreign transaction fee.

Since you won't actually be using your newly-converted card, I don't think it really matters which one you choose; however, there are 2 considerations I can think of:

1) The AA card would help prolong the life of your AA miles, as a single $1 charge would extend the expiration date by another 18 months.

2) The Rewards+ points would combine with Prestige, so in the event you did find yourself using it, at least the points wouldn't be orphaned. There is also the possibility that the 10% rebate may stack with Prestige, but this is unconfirmed.

And also consider the AT&T Access card, which also earns TYP that can pool with Prestige. It has a nice 2X bonus on many online purchases (but also a 3% FX fee).
Yes I will use the Prestige as the main one, absolutely. I think as you said there's not too much to think here. The secondary card/backup I wouldn't use much so whatever I pick should work fine. I will apply for the Prestige, see what happens and then decide. It might be possible that if the bank allows me to waive an extra year of the AA card I don't even have to worry about which product to downgrade yet. That way I still keep backup as no foreign fee if the want/allow me to which I read some person have done in the past when on the edge of cancelling/downgrading the product.

I am thinking of picking up the Costco Visa for no FTF and as last resource pick the MilesUp. The Rewards+ I already left it outside of the panorama as why would I want to use a rewards+ when I have a Prestige that has a larger multiplier. I am holding it to apply just yet as I'm waiting until I depart to Europe that I have to buy all tickets and the expenses when I arrive there. So whatever spending I have to do there I meet the signup bonus too.

Thanks for the input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.