FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954442-citi-aa-cards-general-discussion-public-online-offers-2019-2020-a.html)

tmiw Jan 1, 2019 11:37 am

Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers (2019-2020)

I finally pulled the trigger last night on a 60K offer. Unfortunately it looks like I still can't log into my new Citi account. Is this normal since I haven't gotten the card yet?

(Also, I was hoping that I'd get an instant card number on approval but that didn't happen either.)

victoras Jan 1, 2019 6:15 pm

Regarding the online offer for 40,000 (or matched to 60,000) miles with $250 statement credit for AA Personal Platinum that people have mentioned, I can't figure out if I am eligible. I currently have an AA Platinum card that was opened > 24 months ago. Can I apply for and receive a second AA card of the exact same type under my name? (I wouldn't want to cancel the first card until I've applied for the second to not mess up the bonus if I'm understanding things correctly)

And would I be ineligible for the 250 dollar credit since it states "new credit cardmembers"?

Sorry if these are simple questions; I'm just confused on some of the terms....

bigboy61 Jan 1, 2019 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by victoras (Post 30597055)
Regarding the online offer for 40,000 (or matched to 60,000) miles with $250 statement credit for AA Personal Platinum that people have mentioned, I can't figure out if I am eligible. I currently have an AA Platinum card that was opened > 24 months ago. Can I apply for and receive a second AA card of the exact same type under my name? (I wouldn't want to cancel the first card until I've applied for the second to not mess up the bonus if I'm understanding things correctly)

And would I be ineligible for the 250 dollar credit since it states "new credit cardmembers"?

Sorry if these are simple questions; I'm just confused on some of the terms....

From what I have read from on here, you should be elligible for the mileage bonus since your account age is greater than 24 months. You can open multiple of the same card types. Regarding the credit, I'm not sure.

Happy Jan 1, 2019 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30595863)
I finally pulled the trigger last night on a 60K offer. Unfortunately it looks like I still can't log into my new Citi account. Is this normal since I haven't gotten the card yet?

(Also, I was hoping that I'd get an instant card number on approval but that didn't happen either.)

Citi does not give instant card number.

You will need to ACTIVATEA the new card before you can add it to an existing citi online account. Dont know what "new citi account" you have created - I suppose it is one of the screens ask if you want to get online access... Should not do that because it often creates complication when you actually receive the card, activated it, then you have trouble to "add" it to the "new account" you created.

Wait till you receive the physical card, call to activate it (it is automatic system, but sometimes if you activate it online, system would flag for security block without you even know it - happened on me when I returned to Citi after a long period. Call from the telephone number used on your application to activate the card seems to avoid this potential mess.
Once the card is activated, see if you can link it to the "new account" you have created. If you encounter issue, abandon that "new account" and start the registration anew - but unfortunately you will not be able to use the same userid that has used to create the "new account".

It is the lousy Citi IT that has all sorts of quirks that you just need to learn and deal with them.

tmiw Jan 1, 2019 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30597544)
Citi does not give instant card number.

Per DoC, it's a possibility for the AA cards. That said, I have no idea what criteria's used to trigger it, assuming it's still possible. And it's not the end of the world to have to wait, either, though it would have been nice to be able to add it to my mobile wallet and begin working towards minimum spend right away.

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30597544)
Dont know what "new citi account" you have created - I suppose it is one of the screens ask if you want to get online access... Should not do that because it often creates complication when you actually receive the card, activated it, then you have trouble to "add" it to the "new account" you created.

Wait till you receive the physical card, call to activate it (it is automatic system, but sometimes if you activate it online, system would flag for security block without you even know it - happened on me when I returned to Citi after a long period. Call from the telephone number used on your application to activate the card seems to avoid this potential mess.
Once the card is activated, see if you can link it to the "new account" you have created. If you encounter issue, abandon that "new account" and start the registration anew - but unfortunately you will not be able to use the same userid that has used to create the "new account".

It is the lousy Citi IT that has all sorts of quirks that you just need to learn and deal with them.

Yep, it was part of the screen that let me do balance transfers (if desired), among other options. Since it's my first Citi card, I had no existing account to link it to.

Anyway, that username/password is currently giving me a "unable to process your request at this time" message. I'll wait and see what happens when I get the physical card, I suppose.

bigboy61 Jan 2, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30597752)
Per DoC, it's a possibility for the AA cards. That said, I have no idea what criteria's used to trigger it, assuming it's still possible. And it's not the end of the world to have to wait, either, though it would have been nice to be able to add it to my mobile wallet and begin working towards minimum spend right away.

I think it has something to do with applying for the card when you are booking a ticket. If you start to book a ticket, before you click the button to submit, there will almost always be a credit card offer. If you sign up for those, I believe you get an instant number. When I had my mom sign up that way a couple years ago, she got an instant number we used for the purchase. I was looking just the other day at one of those offers and I remember reading something about being able to use a portion of the credit immediately.

tmiw Jan 2, 2019 6:05 pm

To update, the website login finally worked without errors...but it's asking me for information from the back of the card that I haven't received yet. Seems like there's a chance that I won't need to re-create the account when I finally activate the card. ^

IkeEsq Jan 3, 2019 7:11 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30597752)

You might want to read that DoC post more carefully as well as the comments. It is three years old and I don't see any indication of anyone actually getting a virtual account number, only that a Rep said that it was possible. In the comments, someone claims that you can only get one if you have an existing Citi bank account or credit card account. However, they were unable to actually get one. Other comments note:

December 18,2017:
Data point for Citi cards, specifically the Diamond Preferred: I was approved for it and was given an instant TEMPORARY account number, expiration, and 3 code to use until the card arrived, but only 10% of the credit limit.

Not sure what a 'Diamond Preferred' card is/was but note you could only use 10% of CL.

June 27, 2018:

Report a DP: Asked and get a Temporary Credit Card Information for newly approved Citi AAdvantage Select Platinum Credit Card through a phone call. The representative said the number will expire after once use and can only be used towards airline ticket purchase. Would confirm if its true later.
Restricted to airline purchases, no follow-up as to whether or not it worked.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone getting a virtual account before on a Citi AAdvantage Platinum card.

billybobson1402 Jan 3, 2019 1:24 pm

This is only tangentially related to this thread but has anyone had success unlinking all these closed accounts from your login? It always errors out online, but I'm wondering if calling in proved successful. Don't really want to waste 20 min on the phone if its hopeless.

LWT3 Jan 3, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by billybobson1402 (Post 30605472)
This is only tangentially related to this thread but has anyone had success unlinking all these closed accounts from your login? It always errors out online, but I'm wondering if calling in proved successful. Don't really want to waste 20 min on the phone if its hopeless.

I generally don't have a problem unlinking closed accounts online. Occasionally, yes, but usually it works.

billybobson1402 Jan 3, 2019 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30605635)
I generally don't have a problem unlinking closed accounts online. Occasionally, yes, but usually it works.

Hmm, must be some Citi IT glitch on my end from the citigold fiasco years ago.

LWT3 Jan 3, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by billybobson1402 (Post 30606032)
Hmm, must be some Citi IT glitch on my end from the citigold fiasco years ago.

I have glitches with Citi IT way more than any other institution. This is just an example of how the glitches can be random from one person to the next.

lancaster Jan 3, 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by billybobson1402 (Post 30605472)

To unlink successfully, you have to make sure that your closed account is not the primary account. And calling in to IT would be a waste of time since they would just issue a trouble shooting ticket that goes no where.

VegasGambler Jan 4, 2019 12:02 am

How long does it take to actually get one of these cards in your hands? I applied and was instantly approved on 12/25. I understand that the holidays can make things slow, but... I got the approval letter (with the cash advance pin) on Dec 31. Still no card...

Luckily AA views me as a cardholder so I was able to book award travel and get my 10k mile rebate on 12/30.

GH83 Jan 4, 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by lancaster (Post 30606792)
To unlink successfully, you have to make sure that your closed account is not the primary account. And calling in to IT would be a waste of time since they would just issue a trouble shooting ticket that goes no where.

The website used to be more intuitive, but I can no longer figure out how to change the primary account. Fortunately, chat agents can update your primary account in a matter of seconds, and then you can unlink the old accounts.