Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please read this Wiki before posting in this thread

Citi AAdvantage discussions have been split into TWO NEW THREADS. This thread is specific to the use of mailers and matching bonus offers. A general discussion of Citi AA cards and benefits can be found at Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers.

Citi AA card discussion from 2018 is HERE

The Basics:
  • Starting in August 2016, Citi began putting language in all public offers that restricted customers from using those links to get a signup bonus if they had opened or closed a similar (i.e. personal or business) card in the previous 24 months. Updated: Around July 2019, Citibank introduced a 48-month restriction on some cards, however this appears to be based upon the card itself, not the family of cards.
  • It was discovered that most targeted offers sent via U.S. Mail with a 9-digit invitation code did not have this language and were usable by anyone to get a new card with a signup bonus attached to it. Updated: Around August/Sept. of 2019 it appears that the Business mailers will take you the application website where the 48-month restriction is in place.
  • Starting in November 2018, Citi began to restrict these mailers to a single use.
  • Although CIti has always matched higher offers with a one-time courtesy bonus, the specifics of their policy has become more clear.

How Mailers Work:
Be aware: E- EMAILERS actually expire at 11:59PM EST onthe day before the stated expiration date.

1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies, or use private or incognito mode
  2. Go to the website listed on the mailer, usually http://citi.com/applynowAAplatinumselectcard
  3. Enter the 9-digit invitation code and the last name of the mailer recipient
  4. If the mailer is expired or has already been used it will error out
  5. On the application page the recipient's name and address will be pre-filled, and you can make any changes or corrections you need to on this page, and then fill in all of the other required information Updated: Pay attention to this page, as it may have a 48-month restriction window near the top.
  6. If you get to the application page, then the mailer is working and you will get the bonus if approved and you make the required spend in a timely fashion
  7. If you are not auto-approved (usually you get a '7-10 day' message) write down the application ID (which starts with 2 digit year, month, day), call Citi at 1-800-695-5171 (direct line to an agent for personal cards, open daily 8am-12 midnight EST, have your application ID ready), 1-866-541-7657 (direct line to an agent for business cards, open daily 7am-9pm EST, have your application ID ready), or 1-866-606-2787 (indirect line with prompts), and request status of your application (they need SSN of application ID). They will verify your identity, ask if you applied for the card, and normally try to call or text you at one of the numbers listed on the application. NOTE: Applications will stay in the Citibank system for at least 60 days. If you apply, do not get auto-approved, received denial letter in the mail, and more than 10 days has passed, and wish another RECON, call back in within 60 days of the APPLICATION DATE.
  8. As soon as you apply you will generally get an email acknowledging the application
  9. As soon as you are approved, you will probably get an approval email listing the last 4 digits of the card number
  10. About a week (East Coast) to ten days (West Coast) after approval you should get an application approval letter listing the bonus and a day or two later the actual card
  11. Activate your card and Chat or SM requesting a match to the highest available offer or 20,000 miles, whichever is lower. Chat or SM to reduce credit line to whatever you need if applicable. Setup auto-pay if applicable
  12. Matched miles should show up two days after the end of the next billing period
  13. Make spend prior to the deadline, and miles should post 2 days after statement closes during which spend was completed
  14. Lower the credit line to $2000 using Chat or calling Citi
  15. Close the card using the automated phone line (number on the back of the card), and if the system tries to transfer you to an agent, you can close over SM

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I get mailers?
  2. What restrictions are there on the use of mailers?
  3. I received an offer via email without 24-month language, will it work?
  4. How frequently can I apply for Citi cards?
  5. Do I need to close existing cards before applying?
  6. When should I close existing Citi accounts?
  7. What is the recommended application procedure?
  8. There is nothing on the application page stating the bonus miles. How do I know what the associated offer is?
  9. My credit limit is really low, what can I do?
  10. I applied but did not get auto approved, what should I do?
  11. After approval, how can I a) confirm the amount of the bonus I can earn and b) determine the deadline for completing the required spend?
  12. How do I match a higher offer and how much can I get?

Frequently Asked Questions

The FAQs below will almost certainly answer questions you have about Citi AA Platinum, Gold, and CitiBusiness cards. Do not post in the thread "just to double-check if the wiki is correct"; the wiki is here to avoid having people ask the same questions endlessly. With few exceptions, Citi CSRs and bloggers spread a great deal of misinformation.

1. How do I get mailers?
As a general rule, Citi marketing sends out offers to AAdvantage members who have not recently (or better yet ever) had a Citi AAdvantage credit card. Creating an AAdvantage account for someone in your household who is 18 years or older and has a separate email address not used on another AAdvantage account is a good way to start getting offers mailed to your address. Beware of 12-digit invitation codes and emailed offers, which do not circumvent the 24-month rules. Read the T&C carefully to make sure there is no 24-month language. Mailers usually start to show up a few months after an AAdvantage account is created. Frequency of mailers varies widely from every couple of months to a couple of times a month.

It is unknown how people get selected for business offers. They represent a fairly small percentage of total mailed offers and seem to follow certain people while others never get them.

Per Flyertalk rules, do not offer to sell, buy, trade - and do not ask for - surplus codes.

2. What restrictions are there on the use of mailers?
  • Mailers can only be used once. Trying the two-browser trick will fail on the second application
  • Mailers do not override normal Citi Application Rules
  • Use of a mailer or the opening of a Citi AAdvantage card by the mailer recipient will stop the flow of mailers to that individual
  • Mailers expire two months after the listed expiration date

3. I received an offer via email without 24-month language, will it work?
Maybe. The previous answer was no (even if the 24-month language was not in the email itself -- there was a link to T&C that contained the language, and it would NOT work)

However, several recent data points (starting around Jan 2019) indicate that receiving an email from AA (not from Citi) with a 9-digit code (not just an "apply now" link with no code) work the same as physical mailers (ie, you get the bonus). In summary, if all of the following are true:
  • the mailer is from AA (not from Citi)
  • the mailer has a 9-digit code
  • the "Apply Now" link leads to the same landing page as http://citi.com/applynowAAplatinumselectcard, with the 9-digit code (but not the last name) filled in
then several recent data points indicate that this WILL circumvent the 24-month language. This is a fairly recent development, so YMMV. Updated: For Business mailers, it appears that the 48-month restriction is in place and may not circumvent any 48-month language.

4. How frequently can I apply for Citi cards?
  • No more than 2 Citi applications of any kind in 60 days (65 days to be safe). Any kind includes personal and business, approved and denied, regardless of type (e.g. AA, TY, CostCo, etc.).
  • [In addition to the above:] No more than 1 CitiBusiness application in 90 days (95 days to be safe). Citi has been known to miscount in some cases. As a result, it is inadvisable to apply again exactly on day 60 or 90--thus the advice to wait 65 or 95 days.

For purposes of these rules:
  • count all Citi applications, including denials and/or applications for non-AA cards.
  • the only day that matters is the application date (not approval date, not activation date).
  • count all calendar days, not just business days.

If you get denied for violating any of these rules, you will probably have to wait the full time period (60+/90+ days) before trying again. Use this calculator to establish your dates: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

In addition, FT lore has evolved into soft guidance that you apply for no more than one Citi card (of any kind) in any 8-day period. This is merely prudential guidance, not clearly established Citi policy; there are examples of people applying for two cards in a single day and being approved for the second. However, multiple Citi applications in a short time frame do appear, at least anecdotally, to increase the odds of the second application being denied. (You may see FTers refer to "the 8/65 rule," which refers to this soft guidance plus the strict 60-day rule noted above.)

An example of the guidance above applied in combination:

Day 1 Apply for 65K AA Personal Plat MC - Starts 60-day and 24-month clocks. No apps of any kind recommended for 8 days.
Day 9 Apply for 50K AA Personal Plat MC using Mailer - Restarts 24-month clock for personal AA card & resets 60-day clock.
Day 66 Apply for 50K AA Business - Starts 24-month clock for AA biz card apps, starts 90-day clock for CitiBusiness cards & updates 60-day clock. No apps of any kind for 3 days, recommended 8 days.
Day 74 Apply for 50K TYP Card - Starts 24-month clock for TYP & updates 60-day clock. No apps of any kind for 52 days, recommended 57 days.
Day 161 - Open Costco Business card/Close CitiBusiness AA card - Restarts 24-month clock for Business AA apps, restarts 90-day clock for CitiBusiness cards & updates 60-day clock. No apps of any kind recommended for 8 days.
Day 9 plus 24 months Apply for 50K AA personal plat MC - As long as you have not closed the Day 9 card in the previous 24 months (as that would have reset the 24-month personal card clock).
Day 161 plus 24 months - Apply for 50K AA Business . . .

Not sure what day you applied? The date is written year, month, day in the application number: 1902150000... means you applied on February 15, 2019.

5. Do I need to close existing cards before applying?
There is no requirement that you close previous personal accounts. In fact, with the new applications that include 24-month language, closing accounts will increase the time between applications. People have reported having 6 or more of the exact same card.

The rules for Business accounts vary by individual. Some people can only get a single business card in their lifetime. Others can only get a new business card if their previous business cards are closed. Still others can have multiple business accounts open. It is unknown why people end up in one pool versus another. The only way to figure out which pool you are in is to test it out. With the new 24-month language, it is safest to completely close business accounts as soon as the bonus is received.

6. When should I close existing Citi accounts?
Citi cards can be closed immediately after receiving a bonus and paying off the balance. There are no verifiable reports of Citi clawing back miles except in cases where charges forming part of the required bonus spend are later reversed (for merchandise return, etc.) and even this is rare. Opening and closing accounts has no effect on whether or not you get the bonus from a mailer without 24-month language. If you are getting these cards every 33 days, there is no reason to keep old cards active.

Reasons to keep accounts open:

• Having large credit lines improves your utilization percentage.
  • Maintaining old cards improves average age of cards, although cards are not removed from your credit report for 10 years.
  • Credit lines can be moved from old cards to new cards.
  • Anecdotal evidence suggests that Citi counts the credit lines of recently-closed accounts for 3-6 months against your total available credit. You can call/SM/chat to reduce credit lines instead or prior to closing to free CL more quickly.
  • You can receive retention offers once every 6 months per card. See this thread for details on the latest retention offers.
  • Closing cards now resets the clock for future applications for the same type and category of card.
Reasons to close accounts:

• Having a large amount of available credit with Citi will eventually reduce your chances of instant approval. You may end up with 1K/2K credit lines, especially on Business cards. You can also SM and request that your CL be reduced.
  • There is little incentive to keep a card with an annual fee if Citi does not offset it with a credit.
  • Citi has become stingier with retention offers and credits to offset annual fee.
  • Having a large number of open Citi cards may affect non-Citi applications.
  • Closing multiple accounts of the same type and category simultaneously resets the clock only once. Doing so shortly after opening a new account minimizes the wait for future churn eligibility.
  • The actual effect on your credit of closing cards as soon as the bonus is received is negligible.
  • Citi has not reacted negatively to people churning and closing cards on a near monthly basis.

7. What is the recommended application procedure?
Clear cache and cookies prior to applying or use an incognito or private browsing session to apply. Failing to clear cookies/cache has resulted in people receiving a lesser offer or no bonus at all. Opening multiple, different apps in different windows or tabs will not circumvent the one-use restriction on mailers.

8. There is nothing on the application page stating the bonus miles. How do I know what the associated offer is?
The bonus listed on the solicitation is the bonus associated with the application. As long as you cleared your cache first to make sure you are not pointing to the wrong offer then nothing will change the offer associated with the application. See below for ways to tell whether or not you are eligible for the bonus.

9. My credit limit is really low, what can I do?
Citi limits your total credit lines across all cards based on a number of factors, including income. Normally, they will extend something in the high- to mid-teens on a new card if it will not go over the total limit they are willing to extend to you. It is advisable that you lower credit limits immediately upon activation to what you actually need and reduce it again to $2000 prior to closing the card. It is also recommended that you close cards once the bonus has posted and the balance is paid off to limit the amount of outstanding credit and increase the chance of automatic approval and reasonable credit lines.

10. I applied but did not get auto approved, what should I do?
If you have a large total credit line from Citi or you have applied for a number of Citi AAdvantage cards in a short period of time, you are likely to stop getting auto-approvals and instead get a 7-10 day message. Closing cards and reducing credit limits can reduce this risk as can slowing down the tempo of applications. However, this is not a denial. Normally, Citi will just need to verify your identity and that you applied for the card. They can do this by mailing a letter or calling you and leaving a 4- or 5-digit code. This can be done while you are on the phone if you have call waiting or call from a different phone than the one listed on the application, or can receive a text to the listed phone.

Expect to be asked for name, address, date-of-birth, SSN, and whether or not you applied for the card. If they are unable to call you, they may ask for a credit card number from a different issuer, who they will call with you on the phone.

If you are not auto-approved call Citi at 1-800-695-5171 (direct line to an agent for personal cards) or 1-866-606-2787 (indirect line with prompts).

11. After approval, how can I a) confirm the amount of the bonus I can earn and b) determine the deadline for completing the required spend?
For personal and business cards, you can always Chat with Citi through your online account to confirm your bonus amount and deadline. (You must first activate the card and set up online access, either by creating an online account or by linking your new card to your existing online account. Unlike some other banks, Citi does not automatically add your new card to your existing online account.)

In addition, for personal cards only, the approval letter for a personal card will confirm the amount of the bonus for which you are eligible, but not the spend deadline. Note for business cards only: Approval letters for business cards do not confirm the bonus.

Note that these are the only reliable indicators. Asking a Citi phone CSR immediately after you are approved is NOT a sound approach. Such CSRs can only tell you what the bonus offer terms were, not whether you are eligible. (This is because Citi will issue you a card even if you are ineligible for the signup bonus.)

12. How do I match a higher offer and how much can I get?
After you activate and link your new card to your online account, use Chat or send an SM with some variant of:

"I just activated my new card and I heard about a higher offer for XX,000 miles and I was wondering if you could add XX,000 miles as a one-time courtesy to match that higher offer?"
You have to have a bonus on the existing card. You do not need to explain where you saw the bonus. You do not need to lie, simply read about current bonuses in this thread. The highest offer you can currently match to is 75,000 miles and the most you can match is an extra 20,000 miles. The total bonus is used on tiered offers like 50,000 miles for spending $3000 in 3 months and an extra 10,000 miles for spending a total of $6000 in 12 months is a total offer of 60,000 miles and can be matched for an additional 15,000 miles to the 75,000 mile offer. Update: Citi, as of July 2019, is no longer agreeing to give these extra bonus miles.

The bonus miles normally appear two days after the end of the next billing cycle.

If you are rejected, send a new request. If rejected more than once, try sending at a different time of day, use different wording, etc.

If you get a message that you were not selected for that offer and please send a copy of the offer to which you are requesting a match, then you probably asked for too much or did not carefully word your request with the amount of miles requested and the total of the offer you are trying to match.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
As to how many extra international trip(s) each year, that is also not very relevant unless you are solely depending on AA miles. Then it is actually not a happy situation to be in.

Many of folks dont rely on AA miles as the sole source for their travels but almost all of us would treat this as "get it while the getting is good", as well as to get the most bang out of the bucks spend.
I can’t speak to international flying, but I’m solely dependent on AA miles (out of PHL) for all of my flying. Even with the high award rates, churning this card is still very, very much worth it to me. Hell, I don’t even need to redeem first class awards for this to be valuable to me.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:25 pm

until the mailer dries up, the additional spend at a much Inferior rare simply does not make sense when there is a far better option at hand.

Aye, and there's the rub. Unless you happen to know if/when the mailers are going to dry up. I'm pretty sure none of us know that, so we could skip the extra 10K, and then never get another mailer. hence yes, we see this as "get it while the getting is good".

For that matter, many of us are getting UR pts at 5 per $1 spend rate outside the sign up bonuses

We can get 5X; but it's limited to office supply stores, telecommunications, and $1500 per quarter on Freedom bonuses. Considering that we won't be able to max out at least a couple of those bonus categories (gas, domestic dining), and mostly only get 3rd party GCs at OS stores, that's not really very many UR points for us. Certainly not enough to ever get us EU/ASIA Premium cabin awards from the US.

Meanwhile TG has availability almost every day. Even SQ has lots of availability, provided you book thru Aeroplan which of course means AMEX MR pts transfer.

Assuming you want to go strictly to Asia. Been there, done that, much prefer the EU. After from the (legally mandated several day stopover in HK which we always enjoy) we then went HK-SIN-CDG with SQ last year. But since virtually all EU bound flights out of HG and SIN leave between midnight and 1:30 am, doing that is far more exhausting that we had anticipated. Even in SQ Suites, because you are in HK just long enough to halfway adjust to HK time, then have to force your self to stay awake until after midnight in the lounge, followed by dinner on the plane. Can't imagine doing that again. .
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:42 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
You miss the point. It is always better for an earning rate at 22 miles per $1 than 4.5 miles per $1. Math does not lie. The ability to generate the spend is Irrelevant.

Like other said, until the mailer dries up, the additional spend at a much Inferior rare simply does not make sense when there is a far better option at hand.

As to how many extra international trip(s) each year, that is also not very relevant unless you are solely depending on AA miles. Then it is actually not a happy situation to be in.

Many of folks dont rely on AA miles as the sole source for their travels but almost all of us would treat this as "get it while the getting is good", as well as to get the most bang out of the bucks spend.

For that matter, many of us are getting UR pts at 5 per $1 spend rate outside the sign up bonuses - UR pts definitely are more valuable than AA miles given its transferrability. Also dont forget the poor availability of AA award seats on the TATL routes, unless of course you also do not mind to pay an additional few hundreds to redeem on BA flights. The poor comparison of its TPAC routes was mitigated by CX in the past, but CX is getting much tougher since Q2 of 2018, plus now with the famous CX F mistake fares, one can pretty much write the 2019 CX TPAC premium cabins redemption off.

Even with the regional redemption - try to find a CX HKG-Australia / New Zealand in business, you would need to bet your luck by looking at a week to 10 days before departure for example. you also would not find ANY on QF. So the AA miles are dead in water.

Meanwhile TG has availability almost every day. Even SQ has lots of availability, provided you book thru Aeroplan which of course means AMEX MR pts transfer.

Not to mention to those folks who have to book 330 days out due to their work / family obligations, Aeroplan is 365 days out, without routing restriction plus 2 stopovers 1 destination on a R./T redemption.

Having a lot of UR and MR pts at hand is a good measure. Therefore extra spend could be better used for these purposes.
Not to take this too off topic, but the ability to generate spend is very relevant since it doesn't impact me also spending on other cards (and I think we all agree it's best to spread it around). The cost of generating those 5x points with Chase outside of certain sales is higher than generating ~4.3x miles with Citi. Also taking into account that it costs less even at non-saver points levels to book with AA than United (easiest airline for those of us not in a coastal hub city) I personally value those extra miles. I appreciate that some people do not though. Being on the east coast it's probably more convenient for you to travel TATL, but other than my last trip to Scotland I tend to fly TPAC. I've also been very successful finding premium saver and partner awards, in fact I am headed to Japan with one of my friends next month on JAL J and JAL F.

It all comes down to what various folks value, and I find value in AAdvantage miles with plans to take Aadvantage until the well dries up. I definitely preferred getting the full bonus for $3k spend vs $6k, but I just view it as a penance for all of us raping and pillaging their cards for so long.

BTW, I agree having multiple points currencies is best (I have more UR than I can spend right now)... except AMEX, I really don't like them.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:09 pm

DP, one new mailer today. 60K miles, $3K spend/90 days
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:11 pm

Between myself and friends, we've received 3 60k/3k (not 50k+10k) mailers within the past week. 3/15 expiration. Hopefully this signals the end of the ##k+##k mailers.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The ability to generate spend does matter, because you are limited in the amount of cards you can get.

If you can only get 1 card per month but you can generate over $6k of spend per month, it's obviously better to get 81k miles/month than 68k miles/month.

Of course if you could get a 2nd card per month then splitting the spend and getting 136k miles would be even better, but, once you've maxed out the number of cards and put $3k on each, it makes sense to use any remaining spend to get the 2nd part of the bonus.

I can only get 1 per 33 days or so (no spouse, not interested in business cards) so this is my situation
I hear you but we are the same one player mode here because the other player is destined to stay at 4/24, hence the nice UR sign up bonuses on all Inks and still have one more to get, plus the current UA 75K Biz card public offer.

Originally Posted by NTP9766
I can’t speak to international flying, but I’m solely dependent on AA miles (out of PHL) for all of my flying. Even with the high award rates, churning this card is still very, very much worth it to me. Hell, I don’t even need to redeem first class awards for this to be valuable to me.
See above. Based in MIA, we can view it as being AA centric as well. The reality is, Star Alliance has far more TATL options than OneWorld which with AA's sad availability often means no direct flights / married segments - unless you are willing to pay BA's scam fee. Think outside the box away from the "Hub" mentality, you may be able to find some options that work for you too.

Keep one CSR in the household and one player under 4/24 has been proven the right strategy to us. We have 1.5 million UR pts, (they would be better used to book travels than to transfer to partners) as well as decent bal in UA, AS, BA and even DL thanks to AMEX targeted offers. We do not randomly redeem awards even we can, with the balances we have. We try to use sweet spots of each program. More fun this way too.
@RobertHanson

This is meant to give some suggestions on how trips can be booked, with different currencies, and not always a straight R/T, even your preference is EU. But since this is quite OT to this thread, so it would be one post and done, hence a bit more details.

Asia can be a convenient spot for a RTW trip. We tend to do a RTW every year on top of the usual EU trips as it means we save at least one or two One-Way awards. When we do one pure EU though, it usually is with one direction on a TATL cruise, and one to or back to US, or as a part of a RTW.

We use all programs as we do 2 to 3 month long international trips a year. Places we go, dont always work with AA miles.

8 days ago I booked a 3 Continents RTW this Sept/Oct using Aeroplan, miles from Marriott Travel Packages and AMEX Membership Reward. Will go US-EU, Stopover 1 at Venice (would explore Italian Adriatic Coast that is less known to the American tourists). EU to West Australia via Asia, using Perth as Destination. (Great Road trips and Wild Flower Season) Australia back home via Asia, Stopover 2 at Hong Kong. All business class with Star Alliance members, except the last segment on UA coach. Such as life, domestic segments tend to be coach whether it is AS, AA, DL or UA.
It is 160K Aeroplan per person.

I cannot book anything before April because our passports expire in March and with the continue shut down I dont know when we could renew our passports. Therefore I dont want to take any chance. We may need to do the expedite thing once the shut down is over. But that requires to show up in person versus renewal by mail...

You can do a EU r/t with the same 2 stopovers and 1 destination, with only 100 or 110K per person with Aeroplan miles.

2018 was a "less traveled" year. Only 2 long trips.

Last November we returned from a month's trip to Australia (Brisbane and Sydney) and Hong Kong - AS miles both directions - CX J out, QF F in. Actually it was the QF F "unicorn" that prompted that trip as we have been in Australia's East Coast many times before. Since we haven't been in HKG in 2018 until the "unicorn" showed up, we thought what the heck, let's figure out if we could work HKG in. (We normally passed thru HKG 1 to 3 times a year.) Had to take AS coach back home due to the only seats were on Thanksgiving Day in coach. So we were "forced" to spend 3 days in Los Angeles also. AS cost was 60K out and 70K in, with a stopover each direction. I let you find out how much AA costs (and no stopover so it would be additional).

Last Apr/May we had an EU trip that the outbound was a 14 days TATL cruise FLL to FCO, followed by a 11 days Med cruise. Post cruise we went to Sicily for 9 days. Then AA J award MXP-JFK-MIA home. We had the misfortune being caught in the Italian air controller strike that caused our Ryanair flight being canceled and we had to scramble to find our way from Sicily back to Italy mainland then took the train to MXP. Chase CSR covered the forfeited one night BnB but not the expensive new tickets, as well as the train fare.

You can structure a RTW trip with AA miles as well if you like to try. We did one in 2016 though with a whole lot more miles - itinerary like this - MIA-LHR AA J, spent several days in London. LHR-SPU BA avio. 2 weeks driving trip in Croatia. ZAG-DOH-SYD to revisit Vivid Sydney Festival. I consider this the sweet spot on AA chart - EU to South Pacific via DOH, QR to QR. You may want to check out QR's business class, esp its new one the QSuite - should be better than AA's F no matter which way to look at it. Then TG F with UA miles SYD-HKG, before UA devalued this sweet spot in Nov 2017. Though still not bad, just not as an excellent value as in the past at 30/40K and daily availability to boot. HKG-LAX-MIA in CX F (can be done with either AS at 70K or AA at 110K, depending on your mileage accounts) That trip the AA portion was around 200K IIRC, (57.5 + 75 + 67.5 before AA devalued the Asia 2 to cost 110K) That does not incl the UA 40K on TG F. Therefore the total miles would be over 250K. In comparison, the trip later this year only costs 160K with same 3 continents.

The point I am trying to make is, while the Citi Mailers are like candies for the kids here and is a great excitement to have, there are other goodies we should not totally ignore. With some planning especially with 2 or more multiple players team, develop a strategy can go a long way. At least it would not limit you to totally dependent to AA's charts and the availability. I know at least one frequent poster here is adopting this strategy.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Not to take this too off topic, but the ability to generate spend is very relevant since it doesn't impact me also spending on other cards (and I think we all agree it's best to spread it around). The cost of generating those 5x points with Chase outside of certain sales is higher than generating ~4.3x miles with Citi. Also taking into account that it costs less even at non-saver points levels to book with AA than United (easiest airline for those of us not in a coastal hub city) I personally value those extra miles. I appreciate that some people do not though. Being on the east coast it's probably more convenient for you to travel TATL, but other than my last trip to Scotland I tend to fly TPAC. I've also been very successful finding premium saver and partner awards, in fact I am headed to Japan with one of my friends next month on JAL J and JAL F.

It all comes down to what various folks value, and I find value in AAdvantage miles with plans to take Aadvantage until the well dries up. I definitely preferred getting the full bonus for $3k spend vs $6k, but I just view it as a penance for all of us raping and pillaging their cards for so long.

BTW, I agree having multiple points currencies is best (I have more UR than I can spend right now)... except AMEX, I really don't like them.
We fly a lot TPAC, actually we fly a lot RTW.

Membership Reward pt is the only transferrable currenty other than the old SPG that can be transferred to Aeroplan and it is instant.

Given your preference is TPAC, you may want to check out ANA's program. The only drawback is ANA is R/T system, and it only let you book family members with blood relationship. So cannot even book fiancee out from your account. Several Asian airlines are like that. ANA to/from Japan should be at least equal to JL.
I hope you would not be disappointed by JL lounges, and avoid using KIX as your TPAC...

Keep in mind SQ premium cabin is bookable with SQ own currency, as well as Aeroplan (in the Asia and Pacific region).

Your UR pts can be transferred to SQ, as well as can be used to book travel directly. It can save us major cash because we take cruises several times a year - and that is real cash out of pocket, not like a J/F award booked with miles.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Membership Reward pt is the only transferrable currenty other than the old SPG that can be transferred to Aeroplan .
I believe Aeroplan is now also a Capital One transfer partner:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thepoin...ers-available/
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
DP, one new mailer today. 60K miles, $3K spend/90 days
Thanks for this DP. I'm ready for my next card, so I'll hold off a week or so to see if I get one, as well.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:23 am

Got two new mailers today (same mailer, different names). Both are 60k/$4k mailers with 3/15/19 expirations. I was expecting 60k/$3k based on what was posted above, so I'm not sure if there truly are two different 3/15 mailers out there.

My expired (December) mailer codes (12/15: 50k/$3k + 10k/$10k; 12/31: 50k/$3k + 10k/$6k) still pull up, but the application page no longer shows the bonus associated with the offer. I don't recall ever seeing that before, so I'm going to have to choose between the 2/15 50k/$3k + 10k/$6k offer or this newest one. I may actually opt for the former if only to being able to make the spend quicker and close the card.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I believe Aeroplan is now also a Capital One transfer partner:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thepoin...ers-available/
Thanks a lot for the info. I know CapOne has added transfer partners to its cards but at a glance at the time, it seems they are at inferior ratios so I have not gone over it more deeply.
Given AC had finalized its purchase a couple weeks ago, it would be prudent to wait for the inevitable restructuring of Aeroplan awards coming out, then decide if it would still be a worthy program to add on, after cleaned out 320K about 10 days ago. Though I suspect for the next few months the current charts and rules stay.
FWIW, Aeroplan can see SQ, TP and LX availability while UA currently has stopped access to those, citing technical issues. Phone in bookings are still possible from comments posted to the blog articles.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:46 am

Got two new mailers today (same mailer, different names). Both are 60k/$4k mailers with 3/15/19 expirations. I was expecting 60k/$3k based on what was posted above, so I'm not sure if there truly are two different 3/15 mailers out there.

I looked again, mine is 60K/$3K. Only one mailer arrived ( so far) and FWIW this persons name has never been used to apply for a card via a mailer as it's my DIL and mailers for her mailers only started arriving last month.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I looked again, mine is 60K/$3K. Only one mailer arrived ( so far) and FWIW this persons name has never been used to apply for a card via a mailer as it's my DIL and mailers for her mailers only started arriving last month.
Check your second mailer, if you get one. I just opened my second mailer that looks identical, and it is in fact a 60k/$3k mailer. Glad I checked!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Passport renewal discussion moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...-shutdown.html
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Check your second mailer, if you get one. I just opened my second mailer that looks identical, and it is in fact a 60k/$3k mailer. Glad I checked!
Just got our first 3/15 60K/$3K mailer today.

For those of you getting these (all the bonus in one spend...no split) and still having some 50K/10K offers available, are you using the 50K's anyway, or jumping right to the 60K's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.