FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

mhdena Dec 7, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 31815580)
The use of emailers is definitely one thing every single lockdown has in common with each other.

Anyone activating a recently received emailer card and or applying for another before the Dec 11(actually10th) apply by date?

Allathompson Dec 7, 2019 10:59 am

I just received a mailer for an AA biz card with a 9 digit code and 48 month language. Is this really enforced? Was anyone successful in receiving the bonus on this card?

Robl Dec 7, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Allathompson (Post 31815805)
I just received a mailer for an AA biz card with a 9 digit code and 48 month language. Is this really enforced? Was anyone successful in receiving the bonus on this card?

Data points suggest they do enforce the 48 month rule on these.

DVDBob Dec 7, 2019 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 31816073)

Anyway to see when a past card was opened? I have a CitiBiz card still open, but I can't remember when I opened it.

littlewinglet Dec 7, 2019 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 31815965)
I think the common goal is sharing of information, some of the info is credible and some is not, lets wait and see what happens.

The question is, are people still using eMailers these days.

I got one in early Nov. Was approved with another emailer in early Oct, and just now hopped on the train again with instant approval.

wyogold Dec 8, 2019 3:45 pm

The shutdown rumors were about aadvantage accounts not Citi cards. Citi is a pita with in store purchases, won't even let them through if you pre-warned them.

xyzxyzxyz Dec 8, 2019 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold (Post 31819384)
The shutdown rumors were about aadvantage accounts not Citi cards. Citi is a pita with in store purchases, won't even let them through if you pre-warned them.

Citi keeps a running account of where they experience the most fraud. If you think they were paranoid about a purchase at Crate and Barrel, just try buying $1K in VGCs from CVS, You'll be on the phone with their fraud department for at least half an hour. And even then, when they tell you the purchase has been approved, and try to redo it right away, you have a 50% chance of having the purchase denied again. :(

wyogold Dec 8, 2019 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz (Post 31819517)
Citi keeps a running account of where they experience the most fraud. If you think they were paranoid about a purchase at Crate and Barrel, just try buying $1K in VGCs from CVS, You'll be on the phone with their fraud department for at least half an hour. And even then, when they tell you the purchase has been approved, and try to redo it right away, you have a 50% chance of having the purchase denied again. :(

I know - there's a reason I'm doing my citi MS exclusively at GC.com. 2K online with a brand new account in one txn - no problemo.

"you have a 50% chance of having the purchase denied again" in my experience (although it's been a few years) - more like 100%
If Citi ever moves like Amex to not counting online GC purchases towards the SUB MS, I'm out. Amex I can do several K at my Safeway 500 at a time without a glitch.

sdsearch Dec 8, 2019 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by DVDBob (Post 31816914)

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 31816073)

Anyway to see when a past card was opened? I have a CitiBiz card still open, but I can't remember when I opened it.

First of all, doesn't it say 48 months since the last sign-up bonus, rather than 48 months since opened (like the public offers now do)? If so, then you need to wait closer to about 52 months since it was opened. (And in case you had to fight for your bonus for some reason, it might have taken even longer! :eek:)

Second, you can see when a past card was opened or when you got the signup bonus that far back if you have something you kept about it: statements, emails, etc. If you kept absolutely nothing, since you still have it open, you can try calling up Citi and asking them. (Citi is not likely to tell you over the phone about when closed cards were opened, but it is more likely to tell you over the phone when a still-open card was first opened.)

AA itself only lets you see your activity (including signup bonuses) going back 2 years, so it doesn't help if your bonus was further back and you never kept captures of those activity reports before. If you think your bonus may have been less than 2 years ago, go to AA.com right now, and capture all your activity for the past two years, and if it's there.

And, obviously, from on, keep track of all of this stuff yourself, since you never know what the rules may be in a few more years.

littlewinglet Dec 9, 2019 8:38 am

What's the latest DPs on offer matches? I just got approved on a 50k emailed code, and USPS daily digest says I have a 75k offer coming in the mail....of course addressed to one of my dogs :) Anyone got a match from this recently?

MaxVO Dec 9, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 31821378)
Anyone got a match from this recently?

I got a written rejection in the mail stating that the offer I will receive can not be substituted.

LWT3 Dec 9, 2019 10:13 am

What's the latest DPs on offer matches? I just got approved on a 50k emailed code, and USPS daily digest says I have a 75k offer coming in the mail....of course addressed to one of my dogs :) Anyone got a match from this recently?

Matching is dead.

Robl Dec 9, 2019 11:11 am

That 75k offer is for a business card. And matching has been dead for many months.

littlewinglet Dec 9, 2019 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31821558)
I got a written rejection in the mail stating that the offer I will receive can not be substituted.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a go anyway we'll see what the paper mailer looks like anyway. It could be a 48mo language type of deal.

littlewinglet Dec 9, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 31821960)
That 75k offer is for a business card. And matching has been dead for many months.

NVM, it turned out to be a crappy biz offer with 48-mo language.

wiivile Dec 10, 2019 6:51 am

for those bold enough to keep applying with these emailers, TODAY is the last day to use those expiring tomorrow, 12/11 (yeah, citi being citi)

wyogold Dec 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Did anyone get targeted emails with the transferable 50K SUB this month? Usually they seem to come early in the month, haven't seen anyone mentioning getting them in December. Indication the emailer grAAvy train has stopped?

wiivile Dec 11, 2019 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold (Post 31831582)
Did anyone get targeted emails with the transferable 50K SUB this month? Usually they seem to come early in the month, haven't seen anyone mentioning getting them in December. Indication the emailer grAAvy train has stopped?

Wait until Friday.

slappychasez Dec 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Did anyone else receive a new mailer? The terms are still the same, and the AAdvantage number is changeable. Citi/AA too incompetent to change even with all this noise in the past two weeks.

ninim2200 Dec 12, 2019 12:42 pm

new mailers just showed up in my account. expiration 1/8/2020, the only difference is the first digit changed from 8 to 9, as it seems they ran out of 8s

bludgeon29 Dec 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 31833495)
new mailers just showed up in my account. expiration 1/8/2020, the only difference is the first digit changed from 8 to 9, as it seems they ran out of 8s

got emailers on 3 accounts today - a bit concerned than before given the recent news of shutdowns. All of these 3 accounts are new - opened in last 2 months. None of the older ones (actual family members) recd offers (yet).

wyogold Dec 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by bludgeon29 (Post 31833522)
got emailers on 3 accounts today - a bit concerned than before given the recent news of shutdowns. All of these 3 accounts are new - opened in last 2 months. None of the older ones (actual family members) recd offers (yet).

Same here. Choo choo!

DCJoe1 Dec 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by slappychasez (Post 31833475)
Did anyone else receive a new mailer? The terms are still the same, and the AAdvantage number is changeable. Citi/AA too incompetent to change even with all this noise in the past two weeks.

No one ever lost money betting on Citi's IT incompetence.

mia Dec 13, 2019 7:04 am

Moderator action

Most recent post have been moved to a new thread. If you have created extra AAdvantage accounts to elicit Mailers or eMailers without restrictive language, you will want to read this thread because it is is not obvious when an AAdvantage account is restricted:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...ec-2019-a.html

bobby21 Dec 14, 2019 5:46 am

Sadly my 60 days is up on 1/11, so the 1/8 mailer is useless. Previous mailers stayed valid well after expiration.

LWT3 Dec 14, 2019 6:23 am

Reminder of the "Life after AA Churn" thread

This thread about non-Citi alternatives for those who were basically out of options with most other issuers due to the high volume of Citi apps never saw much action, but it may be worth reviving now.

Life After AA Churn

mak101 Dec 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Finally I received one emailer on 12/12 exactly after two months of registering new account on 10/12. I registered for two accounts but received emailer only in one account but I am happy!

I have not applied any citi card in last 6+ months so I am safe to apply now, but want to confirm if I can use same link for two different applications on two different names. Do I have to use two different browsers technic or can I use it one by one?

Thanks.

NecessaryDuck Dec 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mak101 (Post 31840294)
Finally I received one emailer on 12/12 exactly after two months of registering new account on 10/12. I registered for two accounts but received emailer only in one account but I am happy!

I have not applied any citi card in last 6+ months so I am safe to apply now, but want to confirm if I can use same link for two different applications on two different names. Do I have to use two different browsers technic or can I use it one by one?

Thanks.

Have you not seen the news about the shutdowns? You will lose all AA miles, future award trips and your AAdvantage account will be permanently closed if you do this.

Robl Dec 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by mak101 (Post 31840294)

Thanks.

You need to read the shutdown thread.

mak101 Dec 15, 2019 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 31840325)
You need to read the shutdown thread.

Oh! I am not paying any attention lately, can you please provide me shutdown link. And thanks for the update.

mia Dec 15, 2019 6:41 am

Originally Posted by mak101 (Post 31841641)
....can you please provide me shutdown link.....

You scrolled past it. Re-read post 2424

xyzxyzxyz Dec 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by NecessaryDuck (Post 31840324)
You will lose all AA miles, future award trips and your AAdvantage account will be permanently closed if you do this.

Left out the word 'might' in that statement. As in 'You will might lose all AA miles, future award trips and your AAdvantage account'.

No one really knows what the 'heck' is going on with AA right now. So best to keep that emailer handy, but don't use it until this mess gets figured out. ;)

littlewinglet Dec 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by xyzxyzxyz (Post 31842612)
Left out the word 'might' in that statement. As in 'You will might lose all AA miles, future award trips and your AAdvantage account'.

No one really knows what the 'heck' is going on with AA right now. So best to keep that emailer handy, but don't use it until this mess gets figured out. ;)

I just signed up using the Nov mailers, I plan on holding off the MSR spend until 2 months from now when my holiday travel is done and hopefully the purge is over. But I'm small potatoes, I only dipped into the gravy a few times over last year.

IkeEsq Dec 19, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 31854414)
I just signed up using the Nov mailers, I plan on holding off the MSR spend until 2 months from now when my holiday travel is done and hopefully the purge is over. But I'm small potatoes, I only dipped into the gravy a few times over last year.

You would be unwise to think that AA will not still go after you. People without any mailers have been shutdown. Drawing any attention to your account at this point seems unwise.

84fiero Dec 19, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 31857313)
You would be unwise to think that AA will not still go after you. People without any mailers have been shutdown. Drawing any attention to your account at this point seems unwise.

I'd agree. And we don't know how long AA will be going at this, either.

Dream of Flying Dec 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 31857313)

What was the possible reason for their AA shutdown if they had never used a mailer?

littlewinglet Dec 19, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dream of Flying (Post 31857375)
What was the possible reason for their AA shutdown if they had never used a mailer?

That was my question too. AA has been aware of churning for years, and even using your relative's mailer (especially at same address) is more of a dispute between Citi and myself. I would think AA only cares about the most egregious abusers, or those who sold miles / mailers, which is more of a serious violation.

luv2vacay Dec 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Nobody knows for sure. The boilerplate shutdown email lists a whole bunch of possible reasons.
"abuse" is probably the most likely (I think fraud/misrepresentation have legal definitions).
It's possible to get like what, 6 or more SUBs for AA "legitimately" without a mailer, and more with a mailer (that was addressed to you without creating fake AA accounts). Depending on velocity, perhaps the criteria AA is using is flawed (ie, if you got more than X SUBS in X time period and also redeemed awards for someone else).

The truth is we don't *know* why, we can speculate why.

The other situation (we've seen so far) is folks who NEVER used a mailer, NEVER used/created a fake account, only got "legit" SUBS and got shutdown is that they were a traveler on an award ticket that was used by someone else who was shutdown (ie: spouse, etc. in same household). Again, speculation, but AA may be thinking that this person knew about the whole thing and thus is abusing the system as well. We all know that spouses always 100% of the time tell each other 100% of everything that's going on.

Whether or not AA "wanted" to do that (in both scenarios) again, we don't know.

IkeEsq Dec 19, 2019 12:48 pm

AA does not seem to feel that they need to provide an explanation to anyone.

IkeEsq Dec 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 31857440)
That was my question too. AA has been aware of churning for years, and even using your relative's mailer (especially at same address) is more of a dispute between Citi and myself. I would think AA only cares about the most egregious abusers, or those who sold miles / mailers, which is more of a serious violation.

You would be mistaken. To date I have not heard of anyone getting shutdown who has bought or sold miles. It is possible everyone is lying but that is the available data. From what I gather, people who bought/sold miles in the past were given the opportunity to come clean and save their accounts and maybe some of their miles. No one who had the audacity to open more than one Citi card has had that opportunity.