FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

Happy Jan 22, 19 12:19 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30683090)
The ability to generate spend does matter, because you are limited in the amount of cards you can get.

If you can only get 1 card per month but you can generate over $6k of spend per month, it's obviously better to get 81k miles/month than 68k miles/month.

Of course if you could get a 2nd card per month then splitting the spend and getting 136k miles would be even better, but, once you've maxed out the number of cards and put $3k on each, it makes sense to use any remaining spend to get the 2nd part of the bonus.

I can only get 1 per 33 days or so (no spouse, not interested in business cards) so this is my situation

I hear you but we are the same one player mode here because the other player is destined to stay at 4/24, hence the nice UR sign up bonuses on all Inks and still have one more to get, plus the current UA 75K Biz card public offer.

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30683115)
I can’t speak to international flying, but I’m solely dependent on AA miles (out of PHL) for all of my flying. Even with the high award rates, churning this card is still very, very much worth it to me. Hell, I don’t even need to redeem first class awards for this to be valuable to me.

See above. Based in MIA, we can view it as being AA centric as well. The reality is, Star Alliance has far more TATL options than OneWorld which with AA's sad availability often means no direct flights / married segments - unless you are willing to pay BA's scam fee. Think outside the box away from the "Hub" mentality, you may be able to find some options that work for you too.

Keep one CSR in the household and one player under 4/24 has been proven the right strategy to us. We have 1.5 million UR pts, (they would be better used to book travels than to transfer to partners) as well as decent bal in UA, AS, BA and even DL thanks to AMEX targeted offers. We do not randomly redeem awards even we can, with the balances we have. We try to use sweet spots of each program. More fun this way too.
@RobertHanson

This is meant to give some suggestions on how trips can be booked, with different currencies, and not always a straight R/T, even your preference is EU. But since this is quite OT to this thread, so it would be one post and done, hence a bit more details.

Asia can be a convenient spot for a RTW trip. We tend to do a RTW every year on top of the usual EU trips as it means we save at least one or two One-Way awards. When we do one pure EU though, it usually is with one direction on a TATL cruise, and one to or back to US, or as a part of a RTW.

We use all programs as we do 2 to 3 month long international trips a year. Places we go, dont always work with AA miles.

8 days ago I booked a 3 Continents RTW this Sept/Oct using Aeroplan, miles from Marriott Travel Packages and AMEX Membership Reward. Will go US-EU, Stopover 1 at Venice (would explore Italian Adriatic Coast that is less known to the American tourists). EU to West Australia via Asia, using Perth as Destination. (Great Road trips and Wild Flower Season) Australia back home via Asia, Stopover 2 at Hong Kong. All business class with Star Alliance members, except the last segment on UA coach. Such as life, domestic segments tend to be coach whether it is AS, AA, DL or UA.
It is 160K Aeroplan per person.

I cannot book anything before April because our passports expire in March and with the continue shut down I dont know when we could renew our passports. Therefore I dont want to take any chance. We may need to do the expedite thing once the shut down is over. But that requires to show up in person versus renewal by mail...

You can do a EU r/t with the same 2 stopovers and 1 destination, with only 100 or 110K per person with Aeroplan miles.

2018 was a "less traveled" year. Only 2 long trips.

Last November we returned from a month's trip to Australia (Brisbane and Sydney) and Hong Kong - AS miles both directions - CX J out, QF F in. Actually it was the QF F "unicorn" that prompted that trip as we have been in Australia's East Coast many times before. Since we haven't been in HKG in 2018 until the "unicorn" showed up, we thought what the heck, let's figure out if we could work HKG in. (We normally passed thru HKG 1 to 3 times a year.) Had to take AS coach back home due to the only seats were on Thanksgiving Day in coach. So we were "forced" to spend 3 days in Los Angeles also. AS cost was 60K out and 70K in, with a stopover each direction. I let you find out how much AA costs (and no stopover so it would be additional).

Last Apr/May we had an EU trip that the outbound was a 14 days TATL cruise FLL to FCO, followed by a 11 days Med cruise. Post cruise we went to Sicily for 9 days. Then AA J award MXP-JFK-MIA home. We had the misfortune being caught in the Italian air controller strike that caused our Ryanair flight being canceled and we had to scramble to find our way from Sicily back to Italy mainland then took the train to MXP. Chase CSR covered the forfeited one night BnB but not the expensive new tickets, as well as the train fare.

You can structure a RTW trip with AA miles as well if you like to try. We did one in 2016 though with a whole lot more miles - itinerary like this - MIA-LHR AA J, spent several days in London. LHR-SPU BA avio. 2 weeks driving trip in Croatia. ZAG-DOH-SYD to revisit Vivid Sydney Festival. I consider this the sweet spot on AA chart - EU to South Pacific via DOH, QR to QR. You may want to check out QR's business class, esp its new one the QSuite - should be better than AA's F no matter which way to look at it. Then TG F with UA miles SYD-HKG, before UA devalued this sweet spot in Nov 2017. Though still not bad, just not as an excellent value as in the past at 30/40K and daily availability to boot. HKG-LAX-MIA in CX F (can be done with either AS at 70K or AA at 110K, depending on your mileage accounts) That trip the AA portion was around 200K IIRC, (57.5 + 75 + 67.5 before AA devalued the Asia 2 to cost 110K) That does not incl the UA 40K on TG F. Therefore the total miles would be over 250K. In comparison, the trip later this year only costs 160K with same 3 continents.

The point I am trying to make is, while the Citi Mailers are like candies for the kids here and is a great excitement to have, there are other goodies we should not totally ignore. With some planning especially with 2 or more multiple players team, develop a strategy can go a long way. At least it would not limit you to totally dependent to AA's charts and the availability. I know at least one frequent poster here is adopting this strategy.

Happy Jan 22, 19 12:31 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30683814)
Not to take this too off topic, but the ability to generate spend is very relevant since it doesn't impact me also spending on other cards (and I think we all agree it's best to spread it around). The cost of generating those 5x points with Chase outside of certain sales is higher than generating ~4.3x miles with Citi. Also taking into account that it costs less even at non-saver points levels to book with AA than United (easiest airline for those of us not in a coastal hub city) I personally value those extra miles. I appreciate that some people do not though. Being on the east coast it's probably more convenient for you to travel TATL, but other than my last trip to Scotland I tend to fly TPAC. I've also been very successful finding premium saver and partner awards, in fact I am headed to Japan with one of my friends next month on JAL J and JAL F.

It all comes down to what various folks value, and I find value in AAdvantage miles with plans to take Aadvantage until the well dries up. I definitely preferred getting the full bonus for $3k spend vs $6k, but I just view it as a penance for all of us raping and pillaging their cards for so long.

BTW, I agree having multiple points currencies is best (I have more UR than I can spend right now)... except AMEX, I really don't like them.

We fly a lot TPAC, actually we fly a lot RTW.

Membership Reward pt is the only transferrable currenty other than the old SPG that can be transferred to Aeroplan and it is instant.

Given your preference is TPAC, you may want to check out ANA's program. The only drawback is ANA is R/T system, and it only let you book family members with blood relationship. So cannot even book fiancee out from your account. Several Asian airlines are like that. ANA to/from Japan should be at least equal to JL.
I hope you would not be disappointed by JL lounges, and avoid using KIX as your TPAC...

Keep in mind SQ premium cabin is bookable with SQ own currency, as well as Aeroplan (in the Asia and Pacific region).

Your UR pts can be transferred to SQ, as well as can be used to book travel directly. It can save us major cash because we take cruises several times a year - and that is real cash out of pocket, not like a J/F award booked with miles.

mia Jan 22, 19 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30684536)
Membership Reward pt is the only transferrable currenty other than the old SPG that can be transferred to Aeroplan .

I believe Aeroplan is now also a Capital One transfer partner:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thepoin...ers-available/

NTP9766 Jan 22, 19 6:22 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 30684191)
DP, one new mailer today. 60K miles, $3K spend/90 days

Thanks for this DP. I'm ready for my next card, so I'll hold off a week or so to see if I get one, as well.

NTP9766 Jan 22, 19 9:23 am

Got two new mailers today (same mailer, different names). Both are 60k/$4k mailers with 3/15/19 expirations. I was expecting 60k/$3k based on what was posted above, so I'm not sure if there truly are two different 3/15 mailers out there.

My expired (December) mailer codes (12/15: 50k/$3k + 10k/$10k; 12/31: 50k/$3k + 10k/$6k) still pull up, but the application page no longer shows the bonus associated with the offer. I don't recall ever seeing that before, so I'm going to have to choose between the 2/15 50k/$3k + 10k/$6k offer or this newest one. I may actually opt for the former if only to being able to make the spend quicker and close the card.

Happy Jan 22, 19 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30685291)
I believe Aeroplan is now also a Capital One transfer partner:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thepoin...ers-available/

Thanks a lot for the info. I know CapOne has added transfer partners to its cards but at a glance at the time, it seems they are at inferior ratios so I have not gone over it more deeply.
Given AC had finalized its purchase a couple weeks ago, it would be prudent to wait for the inevitable restructuring of Aeroplan awards coming out, then decide if it would still be a worthy program to add on, after cleaned out 320K about 10 days ago. Though I suspect for the next few months the current charts and rules stay.
FWIW, Aeroplan can see SQ, TP and LX availability while UA currently has stopped access to those, citing technical issues. Phone in bookings are still possible from comments posted to the blog articles.

flyer4512 Jan 22, 19 10:46 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30685922)
Got two new mailers today (same mailer, different names). Both are 60k/$4k mailers with 3/15/19 expirations. I was expecting 60k/$3k based on what was posted above, so I'm not sure if there truly are two different 3/15 mailers out there.

I looked again, mine is 60K/$3K. Only one mailer arrived ( so far) and FWIW this persons name has never been used to apply for a card via a mailer as it's my DIL and mailers for her mailers only started arriving last month.

NTP9766 Jan 22, 19 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 30686253)
I looked again, mine is 60K/$3K. Only one mailer arrived ( so far) and FWIW this persons name has never been used to apply for a card via a mailer as it's my DIL and mailers for her mailers only started arriving last month.

Check your second mailer, if you get one. I just opened my second mailer that looks identical, and it is in fact a 60k/$3k mailer. Glad I checked!

mia Jan 22, 19 1:00 pm

Moderator action

Passport renewal discussion moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prac...-shutdown.html

fredc84 Jan 22, 19 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30686631)
Check your second mailer, if you get one. I just opened my second mailer that looks identical, and it is in fact a 60k/$3k mailer. Glad I checked!

Just got our first 3/15 60K/$3K mailer today.

For those of you getting these (all the bonus in one spend...no split) and still having some 50K/10K offers available, are you using the 50K's anyway, or jumping right to the 60K's.

NTP9766 Jan 22, 19 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 30687442)
Just got our first 3/15 60K/$3K mailer today.

For those of you getting these (all the bonus in one spend...no split) and still having some 50K/10K offers available, are you using the 50K's anyway, or jumping right to the 60K's.

I applied [and was approved for after a quick call] for the 60k/$3k offer.

fredc84 Jan 22, 19 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30687561)

I applied [and was approved for after a quick call] for the 60k/$3k offer.

Sooo, you are skipping the 50K/10K offers you have left? :D
I was surprised about the app for the card I just received today, I'm one of those who has to call in for everything and this was my shortest time between apps yet...but I was auto-approved for this one...gotta luv Citi.

NTP9766 Jan 22, 19 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 30687732)
Sooo, you are skipping the 50K/10K offers you have left? :D
I was surprised about the app for the card I just received today, I'm one of those who has to call in for everything and this was my shortest time between apps yet...but I was auto-approved for this one...gotta luv Citi.

Only for now. If I don’t receive anymore mailers before my next app cycle, I’ll use that 50k offer. I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve had to call in for 95% of my apps over the last year. And of course thus card has the highest limit of any Citi card I’ve ever received. Just give me a $4k limit and auto-approvals, please.

Robl Jan 23, 19 5:31 pm

I also got a 60k/3k with 3/15 expiration today. It came on a relative's account that had also received the mysterious letter from Citi claiming ownership of a Citi card when she had never had one (so no worry about a "dummy account".) I will not be using any of those 50k mailers.

Happy Jan 24, 19 7:16 pm

Glad to report that the SIL who received the crummy 40+20 in Dec just received the 60 today, expires 3/15.

I notice the 40+20 came in a glossy silver, almost square shape envelop covered with snowflakes with HUGE 60,000 on it but the pamphlet inside is a disappointment.

Today's 60K came in a regular size plain envelope with the 60,000 in big red print on the side.

Looks to me a new campaign is in place. Hope it would last for a while as I made another SIL signed up her AAdvantage account last week.

iowa guy Jan 24, 19 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 30663158)
Instead of stopping at FAQ #1 in the wiki, please continue reading as far as FAQ #3 .

So the FT'er that was applying for a card (and bonus) every 33 days was getting mailers on a regular basis?

NTP9766 Jan 25, 19 3:59 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30697477)
So the FT'er that was applying for a card (and bonus) every 33 days was getting mailers on a regular basis?

I was getting maulers frequently when I was applying for one card every quarter. I’ve since switched to one card every 70 days or so and the mailers have still kept on coming. The more “people” you have in your household with an AA number, the more mailers you receive.

LWT3 Jan 25, 19 7:52 am

Just auto-approved again on day 65 after my last application.

fredc84 Jan 25, 19 8:08 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30697477)

I had been doing every 45 days but my last was 33 days. I have 6 mailers on the coffee table in front of me that are 50K/10K that I could use (but probably won't) and a new one that is pure 60K. We have 2 household members who receive mailers who don't apply for credit cards.

mia Jan 25, 19 11:26 am

Moderator action

Sorry, but Flyertalk is not a marketplace where mailers (or anything else) can be offered, requested, sold or bartered.

cb11 Jan 25, 19 11:50 am

Sorry, my bad!

fredc84 Jan 25, 19 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30699845)
Sorry, but Flyertalk is not a marketplace where mailers (or anything else) can be offered, requested, sold or bartered.

While I know there are folks who trade these on Reddit (I believe) I, for one, would not. Probably no risk in it, but I'd want to bring as little attention to this mailer biz as possible. For those trying to get the mailers started, there's plenty advice in this thread on how to do so.

NTP9766 Jan 25, 19 12:10 pm

I don't do it for the simple fact that it reveals personal identification information that I'd prefer to keep to myself. Signing up a family member for an AA account is definitely the easiest way to get mailers started, IMO.

RobertHanson Jan 25, 19 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30692143)
That was me (for having to chat with them twice about the bonus match confirmation). My new card should arrive next week, so if the issue persists for me, I'll give them a call.

I'm not having any luck with courtesy bonuses. On my prior card, I used chat, and the Chat CSR said they would put in the request "right away". But I didn't get any follow up, and no extra bonus ever showed up. On my most recent card, I used the SMC, and got this response:

"We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate department for handling. Within 24 hours, you will receive an email notice that we have replied to your inquiry. At that time, simply log into Account Online to view the response.
Thank you for using our website."

Now it's six days later, and though the SMC shows my request was sent, there again has been no response of any sort. :(

SeeBuyFly Jan 25, 19 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30700796)
...On my most recent card, I used the SMC, and got this response:

"We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate department for handling. Within 24 hours, you will receive an email notice that we have replied to your inquiry. At that time, simply log into Account Online to view the response.

Now it's six days later, and though the SMC shows my request was sent, there again has been no response of any sort. :(

The boilerplate response is from before they "shut down" the SM system. Now they can't/don't respond by e-mail or SM, but most of the time, they do what you ask. Unfortunately you won't know for sure until your next bill.

Happy Jan 25, 19 3:56 pm

Another 60K mailer came today for the same SIL who just received one 2 days ago.

The newest comes in the form of a 3-fold cardboard, same 3/15 expiration date but with the bold faced warning on the front above the addressee, "hurry, this offer expires 3/15/2019".

I like to keep track on the forms of mailer so to speculate that there are how many channels these mailers are sent thru. So far I believe there are at least 3.

Ops5 Jan 25, 19 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30685922)
My expired (December) mailer codes (12/15: 50k/$3k + 10k/$10k; 12/31: 50k/$3k + 10k/$6k) still pull up, but the application page no longer shows the bonus associated with the offer.

I'm seeing the same thing. Does anyone know of evidence either way with receiving the bonus? There is the last line, which could be read to provide some measure of comfort:

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World EliteTM Mastercard®

• No foreign transaction fees1
  • First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 4 travel companions
  • Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights

Limitations, terms and restrictions apply. Please refer to the direct mail piece that contained your invitation number for details

Happy Jan 25, 19 4:33 pm

I'm not having any luck with courtesy bonuses. On my prior card, I used chat, and the Chat CSR said they would put in the request "right away". But I didn't get any follow up, and no extra bonus ever showed up. On my most recent card, I used the SMC, and got this response:

Have you done the HUCA when no courtesy match showed up?

Just do another chat. It is no different than the HUCA with phone, just that you are doing it with chat. Isn't there a poster said on the 2nd chat the chat rep did a copy/paste of what in the system about the match and then also gave the poster 1000 miles for his inconvenience?

mia Jan 25, 19 6:13 pm

I received a reply to an SM through the postal service.

VegasGambler Jan 25, 19 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30701301)
I received a reply to an SM through the postal service.

Mine came through email. It was around 10 days after the request though.

Citi is not exactly quick. 6 days is not enough time. You need to make a request, and then set a calendar reminder for 2 weeks later to remind yourself to check to see if they followed through.

liw5215 Jan 25, 19 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 30683749)
Once you are approved for the new card, you get the bonus if you make the spend. The bonus is attached upon approval if you qualify and does not disappear again by closing an old card.

Thank you for the info.

NTP9766 Jan 26, 19 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30700858)
Another 60K mailer came today for the same SIL who just received one 2 days ago.

The newest comes in the form of a 3-fold cardboard, same 3/15 expiration date but with the bold faced warning on the front above the addressee, "hurry, this offer expires 3/15/2019".

I like to keep track on the forms of mailer so to speculate that there are how many channels these mailers are sent thru. So far I believe there are at least 3.

Same here. Two new mailers, tri-folds, and just like the last set one of them is a 60k/$4k offer and the other a 60k/$3k offer. I have been rotating which offer I use, and the card I just recently closed was for “User 1”. The $4k offers are for “User 2”, so my most recent application (last week) was again for User 1. Doubt it means anything, but it’s something I’m going to keep an eye on.

RobertHanson Jan 26, 19 11:51 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30701317)
Mine came through email. It was around 10 days after the request though.

Citi is not exactly quick. 6 days is not enough time. You need to make a request, and then set a calendar reminder for 2 weeks later to remind yourself to check to see if they followed through.

Good to know, thanks....

RobertHanson Jan 26, 19 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30700858)
Another 60K mailer came today.

My first mailer this month came yesterday as well. Exp date is March 15.

Positive: 60K instead of 50K :)

Negative: Min Spnd of $4K instead of $3K. :(

Guess I'm hard to please... :p

Happy Jan 26, 19 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30703065)
Same here. Two new mailers, tri-folds, and just like the last set one of them is a 60k/$4k offer and the other a 60k/$3k offer. I have been rotating which offer I use, and the card I just recently closed was for “User 1”. The $4k offers are for “User 2”, so my most recent application (last week) was again for User 1. Doubt it means anything, but it’s something I’m going to keep an eye on.

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30703534)
My first mailer this month came yesterday as well. Exp date is March 15.

Positive: 60K instead of 50K :)

Negative: Min Spnd of $4K instead of $3K. :(

Guess I'm hard to please... :p

you guys prompted me to actually read the tri-fold card - the one rec'd is for $3K. So we now know even the tri-fold version of 60K has 2 versions. I have not used any mailer from this relative because the first one is a 40+20. Really crummy.
I just hope the 60K campaigns continue for the next few months as 2nd SIL just has her account set up a few days ago. It has taken 4 months for the 1st mailer came for the 1st SIL but she has not done anything other than one or two dummy bookings.

AndyGator87 Jan 26, 19 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ops5 (Post 30700897)
I'm seeing the same thing. Does anyone know of evidence either way with receiving the bonus? There is the last line, which could be read to provide some measure of comfort:

• First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 4 travel companions

Limitations, terms and restrictions apply. Please refer to the direct mail piece that contained your invitation number for details

I applied with a Dec. 31 mailer a week ago. I didn't even notice the no bonus thing until looking at my screenshot recently when cleaning up my desktop. Same situation - bonus did not show on the app page. Sure hope I didn't waste a pull/approval. Sometimes in the churning game, you have to be the data point. Really sucks if the 2 month extended window ended in 2018.

changger1 Jan 26, 19 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ops5 (Post 30700897)

Well, I entered in a 12/31 mailer and it didn't show the bonus terms. I then entered in a 2/15 mailer and it showed the bonus terms.

changger1 Jan 26, 19 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by AndyGator87 (Post 30704576)
I applied with a Dec. 31 mailer a week ago. I didn't even notice the no bonus thing until looking at my screenshot recently when cleaning up my desktop. Same situation - bonus did not show on the app page. Sure hope I didn't waste a pull/approval. Sometimes in the churning game, you have to be the data point. Really sucks if the 2 month extended window ended in 2018.

You should be getting a letter from Citibank this week notifying you of your approved card. Hopefully It'll show you that you have the bonus offer. Keep your fingers crossed.

VegasGambler Jan 26, 19 9:29 pm

My De 31 mailers did not show bonuses on the application pages and I got bonuses on both approval letters.

The bonus was mentioned on the physical mailer though.

Ops5 Jan 26, 19 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by AndyGator87 (Post 30704576)

Let us know how it works out.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30705010)
My De 31 mailers did not show bonuses on the application pages and I got bonuses on both approval letters.

The bonus was mentioned on the physical mailer though.

Good DP, thanks.