FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

bobert24 Jan 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30668114)
On my mailer from November, I did a chat request for 15K. Chat CSR said he was requesting it right then. Unlike others, did not hear from Citi about this afterwards. No letter, no email, nothing. Met the full spend, and the sign up bonus posted 6 days ago. But no courtesy bonus of any sort. Do I go back to chat and ask again? Or just let it go?

How long ago did you chat? If it was more than ~2 weeks before the statement closed & bonus posted, I'd ask again. I say 2 weeks mainly because that's the longest we've heard of it taking anyone to hear from Citi (and that includes waiting on snail mail).

RobertHanson Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30668186)
How long ago did you chat? If it was more than ~2 weeks before the statement closed & bonus posted, I'd ask again. I say 2 weeks mainly because that's the longest we've heard of it taking anyone to hear from Citi (and that includes waiting on snail mail).

It was around 2 months ago. I didn't think anything about it at the time, as I didn't expect to hear back from AA. I just expected the bonus to post after I met the spend. Only lately heard that people are getting fairly quick responses to the request. Not sure what to do now, as I didn't take any screen shots, don't remember the name of the CSR, etc.

jvel Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Has anyone received a 40k/2k in 3 months with 20k/10k in 12 months mailer? I ended up applying for it today (have a few other mailers with the standard 50k/3k and 10k/6k) and received further processing required. Needed to send in utility bill for address verification, so will hopefully be approved tomorrow.

But, has anyone had any luck adjusting the spend requirement for the second bonus? I’ll gladly take the 40k miles but going for the additional 20k is a little steep.

LWT3 Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30668341)
It was around 2 months ago. I didn't think anything about it at the time, as I didn't expect to hear back from AA. I just expected the bonus to post after I met the spend. Only lately heard that people are getting fairly quick responses to the request. Not sure what to do now, as I didn't take any screen shots, don't remember the name of the CSR, etc.

Nothing to lose by trying chat again.

LWT3 Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30667520)
I get it. Fewer cards, but instant approval and less scrutiny. I thought you may be switching from every one card 33 days to two cards one at 65 days and a 2nd 8 days later, that some people are doing.

Yes. My reason for slowing down was 90% because of an odd experience that made me fear I was attracting too much attention from Citi and 10% because I am finding it harder to hit the minimum spend 2 x 33 days for H and W plus occasional apps for two others in our circle, The auto-approval is just a small side bonus for me. A little more than that for my wife who hates calling but does it when necessary.

My odd experience was getting a call asking not just "did you apply" but also where (which computer, home or office) did you apply from. Followed by, have you applied for anyone else. The rep noted multiple apps for different people from the same ip address. It spooked me a little. Since then the auto approvals have been a welcome change. As of now, I'm going to stick with 1 app every 65 days for me and one for my wife (and we are spaced almost a month apart, so it ends up being 1 app per month, more or less) mostly because I'm not sure how much minimum spend I can do and want to do, but I can see myself moving to a shorter wait time at least occasionally. I hate to leave points on the table by applying too slowly, and we never know when this might end.

bobert24 Jan 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30668341)

We've seen recently that most chat agents are reasonably competent and can usually at least submit the request for you, but also that there are a few who just plain don't know what they're doing. It sounds like you got one of the second type. I'm guessing your request never made it to the department who could do anything about it. Go ahead and ask again. But do it soon - there's a limit as to how long they'll match an offer. I think it's somewhere around 3-3.5 months after you open it.

With chat being a little less reliable than SM, I've now started recording the dates I received the match for each card. I've always recorded the bonus date, but now this seems to be the only way to know 100% for sure that I did get the match, too.

IkeEsq Jan 18, 2019 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jvel (Post 30668378)
Has anyone received a 40k/2k in 3 months with 20k/10k in 12 months mailer? I ended up applying for it today (have a few other mailers with the standard 50k/3k and 10k/6k) and received further processing required. Needed to send in utility bill for address verification, so will hopefully be approved tomorrow.

But, has anyone had any luck adjusting the spend requirement for the second bonus? I’ll gladly take the 40k miles but going for the additional 20k is a little steep.

They will not change the terms or bonus on the offer you applied for. All they will do is add courtesy points.

SeeBuyFly Jan 18, 2019 7:00 am

New one. I received a "congratulations...you've been approved...card is considered open as of today 1/18/19" email. But I have no pending applications, and the last 4 digits quoted in the email are of a card I CLOSED ~10 days ago.

I removed it from my web account, and destroyed the card, so I don't know if it was reopened. Perhaps this will count against my 2/65.

Robl Jan 18, 2019 7:09 am

Closed yet another account yesterday by phone and again was completely automated, no CSR involved.

NTP9766 Jan 18, 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 30670431)
Closed yet another account yesterday by phone and again was completely automated, no CSR involved.

You're one of the lucky ones. I closed a [two-month old] card this morning and had to speak to an agent.

Robl Jan 18, 2019 8:20 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30670493)
You're one of the lucky ones. I closed a [two-month old] card this morning and had to speak to an agent.

I close mine at 1 year when the AF posts. Perhaps that’s the difference or maybe it’s random.

Saturn Jan 18, 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 30667880)
3/15. Sorry, I realize that is important data, too.

Great news, thanks for bearing it. Would you share a few other details? Envelope or folded? What are the first 3 digits? It has 9 digits, correct? Does it include pictures of a happy family enjoying themselves outdoors?

rover4618 Jan 18, 2019 10:49 am

DP ... 60 to 75 match via SM

cb11 Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am

DP: HUCA chat matched 60k -> 75k just posted

RobertHanson Jan 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618 (Post 30671302)
DP ... 60 to 75 match via SM

Wait....what?

All I have in my SM page is the messages already sent and received. No way to send a new one. And I just checked the wiki to see if a workaround had been added, but nothing about SMs there either way.

Pray tell, how did you SM Citi? Or did you do the SM months ago, and the points just posted now?

SeeBuyFly Jan 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30671686)
Wait....what?

All I have in my SM page is the messages already sent and received. No way to send a new one. And I just checked the wiki to see if a workaround had been added, but nothing about SMs there either way.

Pray tell, how did you SM Citi? Or did you do the SM months ago, and the points just posted now?

If we told you, we'd have to kill you.

But you can learn it for yourself, in the wiki of the very first sticky thread (the one with the relevant title) in the Citi/ThankYou forum.

rover4618 Jan 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Wait....what?

I don't know if it is a regional thing but I never lost SM. When logged in on account page I scroll to bottom, click contact us, click secure message, click send new message.
This match request was sent 2 days ago. Good luck let me know how it goes for you.

muji Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm

All I have in my SM page is the messages already sent and received. No way to send a new one.

At the top of the page, click on Services

Under that click on Credit Card Services

Now, under Card Management, click on Request A Credit Limit Increase

Then, on the left hand side under Need Help?, click on Request Your Card Agreement

40orFight Jan 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 30664448)
For FICO scoring purposes, Average age of accounts is measured from the account opening dates for all your open and closed accounts.
"Having a bunch of 3-month accounts" vs "12-month" has no impact on your average age of accounts.

Do not over think this.

Interesting, I believe you are correct. Never knew that it was just amount of time since account opened (regardless of whether subsequently closed). So yes, then there would really seem to be no reason to keep too many of these guys open.

40orFight Jan 18, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30664450)
The accounts show up on your credit report whether they are open or closed. Who are you worried about looking?

No one in particular. Overzealous phone or chat agent, I suppose. For example, I wouldn't want to have to try to explain why I have 5 - or why I need a 6th one.

blaz Jan 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread - success! On Jan 5th I have sent the following secure message to Citi:

I have signed up for the 50000 miles plus 10000 miles bonus offer after spending $6000 on new Citi AA Platinum Select card. recently read that there is a signup bonus offer available for 75000 miles available.I am wondering if I could be matched / bumped up to the 75K offer?
I have received no direct response to that SM. Today (January 18th), I received an email from Citi titled "Your AAdvantage® miles have been adjusted" with the following contents:

Hi, Blaz. We've added 15,000 Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® miles to your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® account. You'll see this mileage adjustment on your statement within two billing periods.
Before I sent the SM I have already spent the $6000 required for the signup bonus. My first statement hasn't cut yet and this is my first AA card ever.

PresskittJon Jan 19, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by blaz (Post 30673103)
Thanks to everyone posting in this thread - success! On Jan 5th I have sent the following secure message to Citi:

I have received no direct response to that SM. Today (January 18th), I received an email from Citi titled "Your AAdvantage® miles have been adjusted" with the following contents:

Before I sent the SM I have already spent the $6000 required for the signup bonus. My first statement hasn't cut yet and this is my first AA card ever.

Good work and welcome to the game.

Going forward take that 2nd $3000 you spent (from $3000-6000) and put it on your next Citi AA card to double your miles from 75k to 150k ;)

RobertHanson Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by muji (Post 30672072)
At the top of the page, click on Services

Under that click on Credit Card Services

Now, under Card Management, click on Request A Credit Limit Increase

Then, on the left hand side under Need Help?, click on Request Your Card Agreement

Thanks so much for the step by step directions that even I could follow. I read about that a while back, but couldn't get it to work, so I thought it was no longer workable. This time I did each step correctly, and yes, my SM has now been sent. :)

Ed Janowsky Jan 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30654159)
I got an interesting letter today. Curious if anybody else got one similar. First of all, it's dated 1/15/19 (time travel, obviously). Apparently there was some confusing wording at some point about earning 2X miles with the plat card at restaurants and gas stations. They just wanted to clarify. Simple enough.

Here's the confusing thing: it's addressed to one of my relatives who gets mailers but has never applied for their own card. It's regarding a Plat card for this person (complete with the last 4 digits of the card and everything). No one in my family has ever had a card with those last 4. Those digits also don't match any mailers we've received within the past 3 years, or an AA account, or anything else I can think of.

The obvious first thoughts are: 1. identity theft and 2. Citi's attempt to get rid of confusion led to them creating even more. But it can't be ID theft, because it would be impossible for this person to get a credit card. So all I can think is that Citi's IT messed up somewhere. Just curious if anybody else got a similar letter, and if it was as confusing/impossible as mine.

My fear is that Citi has opened a dummy account for my relative so he no longer receives new mailers. :eek: We'll see, but fortunately I have lots of relatives. :D

SpammersAreScum Jan 20, 2019 3:51 pm

DP:

2 cards currently open, newer app was in Oct
Tried a "expires Dec 15" 9-digit mailer and got the "information does not match" response
Tried a "expires Dec 30" 9-digit mailer and got instant approval (50+10, which I will SM to 75)
I intend to close the 2 older ones after latest is received and bumped to 75
I have another Dec 30 which I will try end of Feb;

SeeBuyFly Jan 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky (Post 30678769)
My fear is that Citi has opened a dummy account for my relative so he no longer receives new mailers. :eek: We'll see, but fortunately I have lots of relatives. :D

My relative who received one of those notices listing a nonexistent account number subsequently received a mailer. Of course there was only about a week in between, and maybe there is a time lag.

bigshooter Jan 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by PresskittJon (Post 30674459)
Good work and welcome to the game.

Going forward take that 2nd $3000 you spent (from $3000-6000) and put it on your next Citi AA card to double your miles from 75k to 150k ;)

If you spend $3000 per card instead of $6000 you only get 50k miles plus 15k match.

Not sure why everyone is so against spending the full $6k on these current offers. 4.3 miles per dollar for the extra $3000 is a pretty good earn rate.

NTP9766 Jan 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Because ‘pretty good’ doesn’t beat ‘exceptional’ for the same spend and little more effort, IMO. The only way I would consider this is if mailers had dried up.

SeeBuyFly Jan 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30679564)
4.3 miles per dollar for the extra $3000 is a pretty good earn rate.

It is? Compared to 22.7 miles/$ on the first $3000 of your next card?

I suppose it depends on how much spend you can generate without breaking a sweat. Speaking for myself, I sometimes pay 2-3% to make the spend (and even if not paying directly, I give up the 2% cashback I could have gotten charging regular spend on my regular card, which is the same as paying 2%), so I don't do it for small potatoes.

bigshooter Jan 20, 2019 5:48 pm

I guess if you have trouble generating $6000 of spend every month then the extra $3000 is not a great deal. I've been doing a card every month and maxing out the offers, but fortunately I can do it for <1%. I look at it as an extra biz class international ticket every year.

SeeBuyFly Jan 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Note that the "teams" of many churners consist of more than one person.

bobert24 Jan 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by 40orFight (Post 30673065)
Interesting, I believe you are correct. Never knew that it was just amount of time since account opened (regardless of whether subsequently closed). So yes, then there would really seem to be no reason to keep too many of these guys open.

FYI, the source of a lot of this confusion is FAKO scores. FICO uses average age of accounts. FAKO (like credit karma) uses average age of open accounts. The good news is that banks use FICO, not FAKO.

Happy Jan 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30679684)
I guess if you have trouble generating $6000 of spend every month then the extra $3000 is not a great deal. I've been doing a card every month and maxing out the offers, but fortunately I can do it for <1%. I look at it as an extra biz class international ticket every year.

You miss the point. It is always better for an earning rate at 22 miles per $1 than 4.5 miles per $1. Math does not lie. The ability to generate the spend is Irrelevant.

Like other said, until the mailer dries up, the additional spend at a much Inferior rare simply does not make sense when there is a far better option at hand.

As to how many extra international trip(s) each year, that is also not very relevant unless you are solely depending on AA miles. Then it is actually not a happy situation to be in.

Many of folks dont rely on AA miles as the sole source for their travels but almost all of us would treat this as "get it while the getting is good", as well as to get the most bang out of the bucks spend.

For that matter, many of us are getting UR pts at 5 per $1 spend rate outside the sign up bonuses - UR pts definitely are more valuable than AA miles given its transferrability. Also dont forget the poor availability of AA award seats on the TATL routes, unless of course you also do not mind to pay an additional few hundreds to redeem on BA flights. The poor comparison of its TPAC routes was mitigated by CX in the past, but CX is getting much tougher since Q2 of 2018, plus now with the famous CX F mistake fares, one can pretty much write the 2019 CX TPAC premium cabins redemption off.

Even with the regional redemption - try to find a CX HKG-Australia / New Zealand in business, you would need to bet your luck by looking at a week to 10 days before departure for example. you also would not find ANY on QF. So the AA miles are dead in water.

Meanwhile TG has availability almost every day. Even SQ has lots of availability, provided you book thru Aeroplan which of course means AMEX MR pts transfer.

Not to mention to those folks who have to book 330 days out due to their work / family obligations, Aeroplan is 365 days out, without routing restriction plus 2 stopovers 1 destination on a R./T redemption.

Having a lot of UR and MR pts at hand is a good measure. Therefore extra spend could be better used for these purposes.

SeeBuyFly Jan 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30683031)
You miss the point. It is always better for an earning rate at 22 miles per $1 than 4.5 miles per $1. Math does not lie. The ability to generate the spend is Irrelevant.

Like other said, until the mailer dries up, the additional spend at a much Inferior rare simply does not make sense when there is a far better option at hand.

Huh? Mailer applications are limited to 2 every 65 days. IF the ability to generate spend is unlimited, one does not need to choose between taking the secondary bonus and taking the primary bonus of the next card. One can do both.

VegasGambler Jan 21, 2019 2:51 pm

The ability to generate spend does matter, because you are limited in the amount of cards you can get.

If you can only get 1 card per month but you can generate over $6k of spend per month, it's obviously better to get 81k miles/month than 68k miles/month.

Of course if you could get a 2nd card per month then splitting the spend and getting 136k miles would be even better, but, once you've maxed out the number of cards and put $3k on each, it makes sense to use any remaining spend to get the 2nd part of the bonus.

I can only get 1 per 33 days or so (no spouse, not interested in business cards) so this is my situation

NTP9766 Jan 21, 2019 2:56 pm

As to how many extra international trip(s) each year, that is also not very relevant unless you are solely depending on AA miles. Then it is actually not a happy situation to be in.

Many of folks dont rely on AA miles as the sole source for their travels but almost all of us would treat this as "get it while the getting is good", as well as to get the most bang out of the bucks spend.

I can’t speak to international flying, but I’m solely dependent on AA miles (out of PHL) for all of my flying. Even with the high award rates, churning this card is still very, very much worth it to me. Hell, I don’t even need to redeem first class awards for this to be valuable to me.

RobertHanson Jan 21, 2019 6:25 pm

until the mailer dries up, the additional spend at a much Inferior rare simply does not make sense when there is a far better option at hand.

Aye, and there's the rub. Unless you happen to know if/when the mailers are going to dry up. I'm pretty sure none of us know that, so we could skip the extra 10K, and then never get another mailer. :( hence yes, we see this as "get it while the getting is good".

For that matter, many of us are getting UR pts at 5 per $1 spend rate outside the sign up bonuses

We can get 5X; but it's limited to office supply stores, telecommunications, and $1500 per quarter on Freedom bonuses. Considering that we won't be able to max out at least a couple of those bonus categories (gas, domestic dining), and mostly only get 3rd party GCs at OS stores, that's not really very many UR points for us. Certainly not enough to ever get us EU/ASIA Premium cabin awards from the US.

Meanwhile TG has availability almost every day. Even SQ has lots of availability, provided you book thru Aeroplan which of course means AMEX MR pts transfer.

Assuming you want to go strictly to Asia. Been there, done that, much prefer the EU. After from the (legally mandated several day stopover in HK :p which we always enjoy) we then went HK-SIN-CDG with SQ last year. But since virtually all EU bound flights out of HG and SIN leave between midnight and 1:30 am, doing that is far more exhausting that we had anticipated. Even in SQ Suites, because you are in HK just long enough to halfway adjust to HK time, then have to force your self to stay awake until after midnight in the lounge, followed by dinner on the plane. Can't imagine doing that again. .

bigshooter Jan 21, 2019 6:42 pm

For that matter, many of us are getting UR pts at 5 per $1 spend rate outside the sign up bonuses - UR pts definitely are more valuable than AA miles given its transferrability. Also dont forget the poor availability of AA award seats on the TATL routes, unless of course you also do not mind to pay an additional few hundreds to redeem on BA flights. The poor comparison of its TPAC routes was mitigated by CX in the past, but CX is getting much tougher since Q2 of 2018, plus now with the famous CX F mistake fares, one can pretty much write the 2019 CX TPAC premium cabins redemption off.

Even with the regional redemption - try to find a CX HKG-Australia / New Zealand in business, you would need to bet your luck by looking at a week to 10 days before departure for example. you also would not find ANY on QF. So the AA miles are dead in water.

Not to mention to those folks who have to book 330 days out due to their work / family obligations, Aeroplan is 365 days out, without routing restriction plus 2 stopovers 1 destination on a R./T redemption.

Having a lot of UR and MR pts at hand is a good measure. Therefore extra spend could be better used for these purposes.

Not to take this too off topic, but the ability to generate spend is very relevant since it doesn't impact me also spending on other cards (and I think we all agree it's best to spread it around). The cost of generating those 5x points with Chase outside of certain sales is higher than generating ~4.3x miles with Citi. Also taking into account that it costs less even at non-saver points levels to book with AA than United (easiest airline for those of us not in a coastal hub city) I personally value those extra miles. I appreciate that some people do not though. Being on the east coast it's probably more convenient for you to travel TATL, but other than my last trip to Scotland I tend to fly TPAC. I've also been very successful finding premium saver and partner awards, in fact I am headed to Japan with one of my friends next month on JAL J and JAL F.

It all comes down to what various folks value, and I find value in AAdvantage miles with plans to take Aadvantage until the well dries up. I definitely preferred getting the full bonus for $3k spend vs $6k, but I just view it as a penance for all of us raping and pillaging their cards for so long.

BTW, I agree having multiple points currencies is best (I have more UR than I can spend right now)... except AMEX, I really don't like them.

flyer4512 Jan 21, 2019 9:09 pm

DP, one new mailer today. 60K miles, $3K spend/90 days

bobert24 Jan 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Between myself and friends, we've received 3 60k/3k (not 50k+10k) mailers within the past week. 3/15 expiration. Hopefully this signals the end of the ##k+##k mailers.