FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

jiaogulan Jan 15, 19 6:33 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan (Post 30624876)
I figured it would take 2 seconds to chat and ask, so I asked for 5,000 more stating "I found a new offer that mentions 75,000, as opposed to the original 70,000 one I saw" and they will grant my wish hopefully.

"I reviewed your account in this case I will go ahead and raise a dispute from your side for additional 5000 reward points.
Monika
at 20:20, Jan 7:
Upon review and approval when rewards will be awarded you should see 75000 points in your reward account."

Got snail mail today saying upon review basically: we gave you 10,000 already and we aren't going to give you 5,000 more. So yeah, don't make a mistake like I did and ask for the wrong match and expect them to make up the difference. ;)

Chatted today on another Platinum card and asked for 15,000 properly and it was sucessfully "processed for review" on the first pass by the chat agent. What I noticed was different was the agent said I'll receive email confirmation in 5-7 business days, not snail mail confirmation.

IkeEsq Jan 15, 19 7:53 am

Originally Posted by NeYo (Post 30652451)
I just got a no-language email offer. Was sent by AA.com not citi and provides a 9 digit code, which you enter the same way as mailers. I checked both the email and the application landing page and it only says "for new accounts only", just like mailers.

You can try using it. Just be aware that in the past people who have applied using emailed codes have been denied the bonus under the 24-month rule.

GH83 Jan 15, 19 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30654159)
I got an interesting letter today. Curious if anybody else got one similar. First of all, it's dated 1/15/19 (time travel, obviously). Apparently there was some confusing wording at some point about earning 2X miles with the plat card at restaurants and gas stations. They just wanted to clarify. Simple enough.

Same here... my heart skipped a beat when I saw it.

walterj Jan 15, 19 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30654393)
Refund goes to closed card would eventually be a check mailed to you automatically after it is there for 2 months - seems it is the regulation when credit is not touched for 2 billing cycles the credit balance would be auto-refunded by check. It probably would be too much a hassle for the banks to program different treatments for active and closed cards. There is no need to request a refund check if you dont need the money immediately. It would come after 2 billing cycles the refund is posted.

eglantine who was doing mailers, had all her cards closed because of a refund to a closed card, reported a few weeks back. Ironically it was on an award ticket refund. I think avoiding any spend which could possibly be refunded, eg normal spending and just sticking to GCs and perhaps taxes is the best practice..

asdfghjk Jan 15, 19 11:03 am

I just got a no-language email offer. Was sent by AA.com not citi and provides a 9 digit code, which you enter the same way as mailers. I checked both the email and the application landing page and it only says "for new accounts only", just like mailers.

if you decide to use it, please keep us posted regarding the sign up bonus. Thanks.

RobertHanson Jan 15, 19 11:10 am

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30657328)
I applied in November, and received the 7-10 day screen. I waited and after ten days nothing, so I called. They told they had just mailed me a letter that same day and I would have to wait. Six days later I got the letter with the four digit code. I called and was approved, 16 days after the application. I just applied again this month using an expired in november offer 60K for 3k spend, I got the 7-10 day screen, I waited two days and called. They told me I would have to wait for an email, phone call or letter. Five days later I received the letter with the 4 digit code. I called and was approved, seven days after the application.

I've had a Citi AA card for over 20 years. DW has had one for almost 10 years. During that time we've both had dozens of Citi cards of various types, most now closed, but several still open.

A couple of weeks ago we applied with mailers. Both apps stayed "pending" for 8 to 10 days. Finally we got frustrated and called. All the CSR wanted was to send a code to our phone. Not sure how that "verifies" anything, but after that we were instantly approved. Shortly after that we each got a letter, probably sent before we called, that said Citi couldn't approve our apps because they couldn't verify our ids.:confused:

After 8/20 years, and approving our previous apps 33 days earlier, now they can't verify our ids? But a code sent to a cell phone somehow does verify it? :rolleyes:

mia Jan 15, 19 11:41 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30657671)
.... a code sent to a cell phone somehow does verify it?

The wireless operators have sold this service. Citi can verify that your name is associated with a specific wireless phone account. The text PIN shows that the person calling about the application has access to that wireless phone account. Citi can also see that the wireless phone account is associated with a cluster of other accounts in the same name. The larger the cluster, the higher the confidence that it is the same person.

This is not "proof" of identity, in the sense of 100% certainty, and it does not "eliminate" the risk of fraud, but it reduces the risk because it is It is evidence that the applicant is real.

SeeBuyFly Jan 15, 19 1:33 pm

Chat response to request for 20K extra (total would have been less than 75K):

" Just to inform, that we can only match up to 15000 points through chat window. However, if you wish, I can help you with the phone number of our Specialized team who can check for the possibilities. "

I took the 15K. I would never call, but now I do not know if SM would have worked for 20K.

DCJoe1 Jan 15, 19 3:45 pm

Also, was asked to send in a 4506-t form for a December application, and as far as I understand the IRS doesn't process these forms during the shutdown. Is there a time limit for citi to close the app if they get no response from the IRS?

I got s similar offer- 50K miles for $2.5K spending. The email says it is "non-transferable". The application page does allow changes to the name/address/etc. No 24 month language anywhere. Interested to hear if this info is different from the previously emailed codes.

VegasGambler Jan 15, 19 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30657778)
The wireless operators have sold this service. Citi can verify that your name is associated with a specific wireless phone account. The text PIN shows that the person calling about the application has access to that wireless phone account. Citi can also see that the wireless phone account is associated with a cluster of other accounts in the same name. The larger the cluster, the higher the confidence that it is the same person.

This is not "proof" of identity, in the sense of 100% certainty, and it does not "eliminate" the risk of fraud, but it reduces the risk because it is It is evidence that the applicant is real.

That's interesting. My phone is prepaid and the name on the account is clearly fake (I didn't see any reason to give T-mobile my real name -- I set it to something like "ABC"). I've been using it for over a decade (not the same phone, but the same account) and never had an issue. I'm pretty sure I've done this "text me a code" thing before (not with Citi, but with other lenders), and never had a problem.

LWT3 Jan 15, 19 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30658113)
Unfortunately this isn't uncommon if you've been churning and get the 7-10 day message, and don't call them. Call one of the contact phone numbers in the wiki (such as (800) 695-5171). They'll get it processed for you quickly. They've pretty much stopped approving cards for frequent appliers without a phone call, so we don't even wait anymore - we generally call the same day we apply.

Starting with our apps in October, I switched from every 33 days to every 65 day. Since then we've either been auto-approved or approved without a phone call after further processing.

RobertHanson Jan 15, 19 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 30655002)
TWO of my brothers received the same postal mail today. One of my wife's sisters also appears to have received one (I don't open her mail but the exterior looks identical, and she doesn't get much mail except from Citi and AA). It's odd.

Those addressed to my brothers do name them ("Dear My Brother's Name...") and references the last 4 digits of cards that were not opened by anyone who lives here.

Now, it's true that there have been some Citi cards opened by folks in my house, but none that match the numbers on the letters. I'm left scratching my head wondering where those 4 digit numbers came from.

As an aside, I'm guessing that Citi is finding that their new 2X (at restaurants and gas stations) card benefit is not being used as much as they expected, and they think that by being more clear that should bump up those results. I'm not sure I would draw the same conclusion, but wish them luck. Now, if they offered 5X at office supply stores or grocery stores, I bet that would move the needle significantly.

HA! My twin brother, who doesn't have a credit history, just got that letter. Addressed to him, and listing a cc number that's never been given to anyone at our residence. What the ("heck") ?

Is Citi trying to get the person they have sent so many mailers, to call them to straighten this out? Cause I'm pretty sure most of us on this thread, if we hadn't read about it here, got one of these letters addressed to our actual name, with an account number listed that we have never received, would call Citi to find out what's up. Especially since no one yet has posted that they got that letter sent directly to them, only to the person who got the mailer. Hmmm....

So if someone gets this letter, and it's addressed to YOU, and not a "family member", please post about it here.

NeYo Jan 15, 19 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by DCJoe1 (Post 30658811)
I got s similar offer- 50K miles for $2.5K spending. The email says it is "non-transferable". The application page does allow changes to the name/address/etc. No 24 month language anywhere. Interested to hear if this info is different from the previously emailed codes.

Yeah this is the same offer I got. Debating between using this for my next app or a mailer with the 50k + 10k offer. Are you planning on applying with the email code?

fredc84 Jan 15, 19 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30659232)
Starting with our apps in October, I switched from every 33 days to every 65 day. Since then we've either been auto-approved or approved without a phone call after further processing.

Interesting. We've been applying every 65 and down to 45 days and I've had to call in for at least the last 4. But yesterday, on day 33 from my last app and the shortest time between churns for me, I was auto-approved.

40orFight Jan 15, 19 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by NeYo (Post 30659396)
Yeah this is the same offer I got. Debating between using this for my next app or a mailer with the 50k + 10k offer. Are you planning on applying with the email code?

One of my family members got this email offer as well. I'm thinking one of us might use it. It's a better offer if you consider that it could possibly be matched with 20k extra miles (because there is no 10k on the back end making it look like a 60k offer up front), and has slightly lower spend. I'm just nervous about wasting an app slot if it turns out not to be exempted like the mailers. Any advice is appreciated.

Apply for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® and earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.* The annual fee of $99 is waived for the first 12 months.

Apply today using your non-transferable, exclusive invitation number [___]. This number can be used one time to apply for this credit card offer. Offer expires 02/04/2019.

dangw20 Jan 15, 19 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by xu6652030 (Post 30655977)
I churned a lot citi aa plat. Today my family most of citi cards got closed. My wife has 8 cards include citi Costco. Only two citi aa alive. My mother has 8 citi aa. Same as my wife. Only two cards alive. I got close 3 citi aa accounts, still alive 5 citi aa and citi dividend.

So they closed some accounts for each of you but left others open? Interesting. Did they provide a reason or are you waiting til they send something in the mail (assuming they would)?

bobert24 Jan 15, 19 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20 (Post 30659957)
So they closed some accounts for each of you but left others open? Interesting. Did they provide a reason or are you waiting til they send something in the mail (assuming they would)?

I've been trying to figure out if he's saying that Citi closed them or that he closed them (since we were just talking about how many cards to keep open at a time). It sounds like the former, but that really doesn't make much sense - you would think they would close all or nothing.

bigshooter Jan 16, 19 3:10 am

Interesting DP. I didn't "plumb" my new card first and went straight for VGC. Made 2x$500+ fees and went through. Decided to try again and fraud lock.

Fraud department said they blocked because it looked like merchant was trying to double charge me. So lesson learned, first purchase $1000 or less, second for less than that and let things settle.

Still trying to find the secret sauce to limit the number of trips to the mall I need to take when I get a new card... getting to $6k/month is turning into a chore and taking away from my UR point earning :)

bigshooter Jan 16, 19 3:12 am

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 30659576)
Interesting. We've been applying every 65 and down to 45 days and I've had to call in for at least the last 4. But yesterday, on day 33 from my last app and the shortest time between churns for me, I was auto-approved.

I've had to call and send info on my last 3. It'll be a chore when my new w-2's show up and I have to rescan them :)

walterj Jan 16, 19 10:30 am

One or two cards every 65 days?

cb11 Jan 16, 19 11:38 am

How long until after creating accounts on AA did you all start receiving mailers? Applied for a regular (non-mailer) personal then regular Biz in the last month so to continue I'll need mailers.

Signed up for accounts for family members end of November.

NTP9766 Jan 16, 19 11:44 am

3-4 months for me.

muji Jan 16, 19 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 30661653)
Last year Citi was locking cards after about 4-8 weeks and requiring cardholders to call in and verify they were the ones opening the card ...I have not had that happen in the last 6 months or so.

Exact same situation for me. This locking of accounts hasn't happened for a good half year.

flyer4512 Jan 16, 19 6:07 pm

DP........I was able to match 60K to 75K via chat yesterday.

LWT3 Jan 16, 19 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30661808)
One or two cards every 65 days?

One. I switched from one card every 33 days to one every 65 days. It was never possible to do 2 every 33 days.

40orFight Jan 16, 19 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30654051)
I used to keep them open for a year (or as close to it as possible), so that they would look better on my credit report in case I had to go through manual recon with another issuer. Now, like most people in this thread, I'm pretty much 100% locked out of cards from anybody else (way too many recent apps), so there's no longer any point to that. I've had as many as 6 per person open before, but now I'm always at half that or less.

I'm a bit torn on this. I don't love the idea of having 6+ active AA cards on my file in case anyone looks (two or three is bad enough). But I'd also rather keep them open for the full year because having a bunch of 3-month accounts doesn't help my average age of accounts one bit. Admittedly, a bunch of 12-month accounts isn't great either, but it is at least marginally better.

Does anyone keep them all open for a full year, or does everyone close them down as soon as possible?

40orFight Jan 16, 19 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by muji (Post 30662583)
Exact same situation for me. This locking of accounts hasn't happened for a good half year.

Same here - which is nice. It was no fun to call multiple times for each new card (i.e., if not auto approved).

And I used to get auto approved a lot more often too. Or it would say "call now for an immediate decision." Neither of those seem to happen much anymore for me. Applying too often it seems.

40orFight Jan 16, 19 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30662151)
3-4 months for me.

Took longer for me. Was more like six months, I think.

geclub1 Jan 16, 19 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by 40orFight (Post 30664398)
... having a bunch of 3-month accounts doesn't help my average age of accounts one bit. Admittedly, a bunch of 12-month accounts isn't great either, but it is at least marginally better.

For FICO scoring purposes, Average age of accounts is measured from the account opening dates for all your open and closed accounts.
"Having a bunch of 3-month accounts" vs "12-month" has no impact on your average age of accounts.

Do not over think this.

VegasGambler Jan 16, 19 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by 40orFight (Post 30664398)
in case anyone looks

The accounts show up on your credit report whether they are open or closed. Who are you worried about looking?

AugustWest Jan 17, 19 6:39 am

DP: Via chat I asked to be matched to the 70K offer on a 50+10 mailer --and specifically asked for 20K extra. Letter received that I will be getting extra 10K.
Lesson learned. Don't do what I did. All the folks suggesting asking to be matched to 75K have the better approach.

NTP9766 Jan 17, 19 6:42 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30572300)
After 12 days, I still hadn’t received any confirmation of the bonus match (mail or email), so I chatted with Citi again. The CSR checked my account and copied/pasted the text confirming the 15k match approval, then gave me an extra 1k out of the blue for good measure.

Billing cycle finally closed and I can confirm the 15k 16k bonus match posted to my AA account.

bobert24 Jan 17, 19 8:34 am

Originally Posted by cb11 (Post 30662121)
How long until after creating accounts on AA did you all start receiving mailers? Applied for a regular (non-mailer) personal then regular Biz in the last month so to continue I'll need mailers.

Signed up for accounts for family members end of November.

My parents started getting them about 4 months after opening their accounts. That seems to have been the fairly standard answer around here.

Of course, you do have to recognize that Citi doesn't send out mailers every day, and possibly not even every month. They definitely have them on a schedule. So it's possible it could be a little over 4 months, if the timing is bad.

bobert24 Jan 17, 19 8:35 am

We went the opposite direction, but with the same basic results. We were at one every 33 days with no auto approvals. Dropped to one every 65, and started getting auto-approved almost every time. Back up to one every 33 now, and back to no auto approvals. There definitely seems to be a timeframe below which you're gonna have to call.

fredc84 Jan 17, 19 11:21 am

Originally Posted by 40orFight (Post 30664415)
Took longer for me. Was more like six months, I think.

Got you beat :p 8 months for me. And that was with using the accounts on the dining rewards through AA around month 2.

AugustWest Jan 17, 19 2:14 pm

Another DP: A new mailer today-60K for 3K! I am 2 days out from my next app and thought I was stuck with the 50+10 offer again.

walterj Jan 17, 19 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30664366)
One. I switched from one card every 33 days to one every 65 days. It was never possible to do 2 every 33 days.

I get it. Fewer cards, but instant approval and less scrutiny. I thought you may be switching from every one card 33 days to two cards one at 65 days and a 2nd 8 days later, that some people are doing.

gmt4 Jan 17, 19 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 30667419)
Another DP: A new mailer today-60K for 3K! I am 2 days out from my next app and thought I was stuck with the 50+10 offer again.

AugustWest Jan 17, 19 4:06 pm

3/15. Sorry, I realize that is important data, too.

RobertHanson Jan 17, 19 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30667520)
I get it. Fewer cards, but instant approval and less scrutiny. I thought you may be switching from every one card 33 days to two cards one at 65 days and a 2nd 8 days later, that some people are doing.

If the choice is one card every 33 days, but I have to call in to get it approved, or one every 65 days with an instant approval, I'm calling every time. The calls used to take around 30 minutes, which was a real PITA, but now they only take around 3 minutes, and are of course toll free. For an extra 50k/60K/75K miles, yes, I will happily call in. Especially since due to 5/24, once in a lifetime, 2/3/4, and MAC, this is about the only card out there I can get approved any more. And happily one every 33 days keeps me at the Citi ideal of 6 HPs in 6 months.

Only one app every 65 days? What am I supposed to do those other 64 days? ;)