FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

Happy Feb 7, 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 30750738)
Received small bonus match.
Late December 2018, got the AA plat card with a 50 K for 3 k in 3 months, with 10 K for 6k spend in 12 months. I hit 3K spend within the first month, sent SM using workaround method asking for a bonus point match to a “better offer I had heard about”. My SM went unread for 3 days. 3 days later I sent request by CS chat.
My message, verbatim was:
I recently read that there is a different signup bonus offer available that awards 65,000 for 3,000 and 75,000 miles for additional spend. As I have just met the 3,000 minimums, I am wondering, if you could, as a one-time courtesy, if I could be matched / bumped up to the 65/75K offer? Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Chat said rep they will submit request and I will hear an answer in 7 to 10 days by email. Today, day 10 after the chat, I rcv’d snail mail letter dated 1/31/19.

The letter said, “We have added 5,000 AA miles to your account, this adjustment will be included in the total monthly mileage on your statement within 2 billing periods”. The letter went on to recite the original offer I had enrolled in for my application. Wish I had got the 75 total like some others, but I live and learn. I guess an extra 5 K courtesy miles is better than nothing, but I was hoping for more. Thought I would pass along as a DP.

My first month’s statement closes tomorrow. . I hope to see my 50 K plus the 5K.

Your offer is 50+10 = 60.

You should ask very simply, can you kindly add 15K to my account to match the 75K bonus offer I have discovered.

There is ABSOLUTE NO NEED to mention any of the details you have listed. No need to mention about the spend requirement whatsoever.

The best way to ask for courtesy match is word it as simple and as PRECISE as possible - there are gazzillion DPs in this thread that the highest match is to 75K - and it is just basic math to work back to whatever offer you applied for, and then ask the difference. In this case, it is 75 - 50 - 10 = 15K.
Almost certain had you just asked for 15K to match 75K, you will get exactly that.

You are asking far less, and making it far more confusing than it should have been.

One more thing, when the spend is met, has NO BEARING on how a courtesy match is granted.
Multiple people reported they received the 15K on first statement when the first cycle was so short that it wasn't any time to meet the spend therefore the actual offer bonus was on 2nd statement.

Time and Again - KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid - would be the best approach when it comes to asking for courtesy match with Citi.

Happy Feb 7, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 30751066)
That might be why you only got 5000, you were asking for a match to 65K not 75K. Most match requests are for a match to a straight 75K...which means your 60K (the 50K + 10K) might have been matched by 15K. I don't think I've ever seen an offer of 65K/$3000 + 10K/$6000(total)...the 75K offers were in one shot for $3000 spend.

I dont think people ever mention spend requirement to earn a particular offer when asking for a match.

If it is in the mix, the standard reply at least in the past, would be when you meet the extra spend, SM us and we would add the additional. However as you said, the 75K is a straight 3K spend. There are probably many hundreds of such match being granted in 2018 when you think about the 33 days cycle. lol.

oldmanbob Feb 7, 2019 1:21 pm

both replies are spot on. I realized my mistake when I re read my chat and low and behold, I got what I asked for. My bad. ... that's why I ended my post with live and learn. I swear I read every post in the wiki, but did not catch the 75 K for 3 k. I easily see where more info is detrimental and where less words would have been more points.
I realize my mistake, and I have another app going in for my wife this week, and I will not make the same mistake again. All tips were appreciated and I will employ on my next card. Appreciate the feedback!
Thanks!

Happy Feb 7, 2019 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 30751168)
both replies are spot on. I realized my mistake when I re read my chat and low and behold, I got what I asked for. My bad. ... that's why I ended my post with live and learn. I swear I read every post in the wiki, but did not catch the 75 K for 3 k. I easily see where more info is detrimental and where less words would have been more points.
I realize my mistake, and I have another app going in for my wife this week, and I will not make the same mistake again. All tips were appreciated and I will employ on my next card. Appreciate the feedback!
Thanks!

Dont feel bad. It is only 10K. Next time you will know what to ask and you most likely would get it. We have not seen anybody not getting the proper match when it is asked the "right way". We have seen one or two gotten a denial and mostly due to the way how the poster asked.

Let's hope you will score on your wife's app. :)

IkeEsq Feb 7, 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 30751168)
Thanks!

Meh, it happens. I screwed up my wife's request in January because I forgot which bonus was attached to it and asked for the wrong amount. Ended up with 10K instead of 15K. I suspect that we will all live somehow. :)

SLINKYTRAVEL Feb 7, 2019 6:29 pm

Was doing the standard 8 day wait for my 8/65 (applied on 1/28 for the 1st) and got a HARD rejection! This is my first rejection in 15+ cards...anyone know if anything seems funky by this response? "
Unfortunately, we were not able to approve your application.

You will receive written notification with details regarding our decision in approximately 7-10 days.

VegasGambler Feb 7, 2019 6:41 pm

That response has no information at all. The written notification will have a reason (though it's a pretty broad category).

Recon number is in the wiki for the other thread:

(800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
(866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
Executive Office - useful for getting a more empowered agent for reconsideration purposes: CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117
I'd probably call one of the numbers and see if you can figure out what's going on but I'm not sure if that's good advice.

The end of the FAQ in the other thread says

22. I was following the timing rules but got denied for Multiple Applications for Credit ("MAC"). Why??
Multiple Applications for Credit (or MAC) normally means that you violated one of Citi's application timing rules, like applying for more than two cards in 60 days. Because Citi has trouble counting, applications have been denied in the past if they were too close to 60/90 days. However, starting in August 2016, people have been somewhat randomly getting this denial when applying well outside of the 60/90-day range. CSRs frequently say that you can only apply for a single card in a 60-day period but this is not the case and people who have gotten this denial have gone on to successfully apply for 2 cards in 60 days or less.

You can try to request reconsideration or apply again as if the denial was an approval. You do not have to wait 60+ days from the denial to apply again.
I'm not sure if this is your reason or not; the person on the other end of the recon line may be able to tell you. Good luck!

SLINKYTRAVEL Feb 7, 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30752214)
That response has no information at all. The written notification will have a reason (though it's a pretty broad category).

Recon number is in the wiki for the other thread:

I'd probably call one of the numbers and see if you can figure out what's going on but I'm not sure if that's good advice.

The end of the FAQ in the other thread says

I'm not sure if this is your reason or not; the person on the other end of the recon line may be able to tell you. Good luck!

Thanks VegasGambler. Appreciate the quick response! Will call Recon and follow up in here

bigshooter Feb 8, 2019 3:47 am

Weird DP. I asked for a 15k match via chat in early January and received the snail mail acknowledgement almost a month later.

My first statement is about to close which might be the correlation? Who knows. Just thought I'd mention for those who have lost hope for their 15k :)

Also just got my taxes done! Federal refund and state due almost even out for once and gives me a perfect way to meet spend on some cards!

tmiw Feb 8, 2019 9:40 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30753235)
Weird DP. I asked for a 15k match via chat in early January and received the snail mail acknowledgement almost a month later.

My first statement is about to close which might be the correlation? Who knows. Just thought I'd mention for those who have lost hope for their 15k :)

Also just got my taxes done! Federal refund and state due almost even out for once and gives me a perfect way to meet spend on some cards!

Speaking of this, my first statement closed last night and I received the 15,000 point match. However, I got the mail confirmation within a week or so after doing the chat request.

Robl Feb 8, 2019 2:54 pm

Citi backtracking a bit. My Biz offers have always been 75k after 5k spend in 3 months. Today I got a biz mailer for 50k after 3k/3month then 15k more if you spend 10k in 6 months. I guess they are testing this market to see if low offers work. For now the latest personal mailers are just fine.

VegasGambler Feb 8, 2019 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL (Post 30752226)

Thanks VegasGambler. Appreciate the quick response! Will call Recon and follow up in here

Let us know the results, particularly if it's some timing thing that goes against what's in the FAQ, or if they are imposing some other rule that is not well-known here.

Allathompson Feb 8, 2019 8:04 pm

Targeted mailer 50k

I recently applied and was approved using the 9 digit code for 50k miles after spending $3k plus another 10k miles after spending $6k in the first 12 months. The 50k posted. Still waiting for the 10k to post even though I spent 6k already. Or do I have to spend an additional 6k after spending the 3k in the first 12 months?

asdfghjk Feb 8, 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Allathompson (Post 30756117)
I recently applied and was approved using the 9 digit code for 50k miles after spending $3k plus another 10k miles after spending $6k in the first 12 months. The 50k posted. Still waiting for the 10k to post even though I spent 6k already. Or do I have to spend an additional 6k after spending the 3k in the first 12 months?

It is $6k total.

acinchus Feb 9, 2019 1:39 pm

Have a business mailer code from a colleague who has already used it and considering using it for 75k for 5k spend vs the less attractive personal mailer offer I have for tiered 40k + 20k points.on 3k + 7k (total 10k) spend

Unlike my personal mailer codes which after being used, stop loading the application page, the business code is loading the application page with the welcome bonus details.

With the changes in Oct/Nov of 2018 when personal codes were restricted to one-time use, are there recent data points confirming that the business code could be used more than once?