FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

RobertHanson Jan 8, 19 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua (Post 30626886)
I applied using the code for 60k/3k spend, yet when I got the approval letter yesterday, it's for the 50k/3k spend. Is this the new normal now?

Are you sure the app was for a straight 60K? Because the mailers I've gotten recently say 60K in big letters on the front of the envelope, but when you read the details of the offer on the inside, it's 50K + 10K.

Two things I'm wondering about:

1) When I asked thru chat a while ago for the courtesy 15K bonus miles, the CSR said that they would put the request right thru. But others have mentioned getting either an email or a letter confirming that, and I haven't heard anything about it since the chat. Has anyone gotten the extra bonus without some confirmation first?

2) DW applied with a mailer 11 days ago, and not only had we not been told she was approved, but the online site to check status still said "7-10 days". So this morning she called in, and was approved in about 3 minutes, with only confirming her phone numbers and address, and getting a code sent to her phone. It's my understanding that her 33 days to the next app started the day she applied, not the 11 days later when she was approved. Are there any recent DPs on if this is still the case?

9Benua Jan 8, 19 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30627158)
Are you sure it said 60k/$3k, or did it just say 60k in big letters? All of mine show 60k as the offer, but in the description they have been 50k/3k + 10k/3k.

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30628210)
Are you sure the app was for a straight 60K? Because the mailers I've gotten recently say 60K in big letters on the front of the envelope, but when you read the details of the offer on the inside, it's 50K + 10K.

I'm pretty sure this is the straight 60k. It's an invitation code with 12/15/18 expiration date.

NTP9766 Jan 8, 19 1:48 pm

FWIW, I don't have any mailers that expire on 12/15/18. The last ones I see that had the straight 60k/$3k offer expired on 11/15/18. The 12/31/18 mailers are 40k/$3k + 20k/$10k.

phant0m Jan 8, 19 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30628331)
FWIW, I don't have any mailers that expire on 12/15/18. The last ones I see that had the straight 60k/$3k offer expired on 11/15/18. The 12/31/18 mailers are 40k/$3k + 20k/$10k.

I have one 12/31/18 and 2/15/19 that are 40k/$2K + 20k/$6k

fredc84 Jan 8, 19 2:07 pm

I have 8 unused mailers on the coffee table, the last straight 60K/$3K expired 11/15. Starting with the 12/15 mailers, they are all 50K/10K mailers.

jiaogulan Jan 8, 19 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 30628420)
I have 8 unused mailers on the coffee table, the last straight 60K/$3K expired 11/15. Starting with the 12/15 mailers, they are all 50K/10K mailers.

Same. Will be interesting to see if this is some sort of cycling down trend of the mailer game, or if it's just a blip and will continue strong for a while. Strong is relative as well, as 50K/3K maintaining for a while isn't exactly bad in the grand scheme.

NTP9766 Jan 8, 19 3:19 pm

It'll eventually get back to 60k/$3k. These cycles have happened throughout the time I've been churning these cards, which has only been since late 2015.

BONDMI6 Jan 8, 19 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30627739)
We need to collect DPs on the matches granted to the new 50K+10K offers.

Reading the past several pages, it seems the amounts ranging from 15K to 10K to 5K only. It also seems to depend on the amount of initial requests.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30593652-post3296.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30607844-post3333.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30624425-post3376.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30622133-post3365.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30624876-post3381.html

My gut feeling is if you request a match to the 50+10, with only 15K, you would get it without drama as the reps could see the offer as a 60K. But if you are asking for a 20K based on the 50K, the outcomes have been either a 15K, 10K or worse, a 5K, probably being result of poor math done by the persons who granted the courtesy pts.
Given some of us also are confused by the 50+10 being 60K offer, it is entirely possible the Citi reps see those 50+10 being a 60K offer so only 15K max can be granted. We have not have a single positive DP on 20K asked, 20K granted.

Thanks Happy! Excellent summary. I was just approved today for the 40k + $250 stmt credit today. Citi provided a card # to start using the card now. How long do I need to wait before requesing a match to 60k? Until the physical card arrives in the mail?

Happy Jan 8, 19 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by BONDMI6 (Post 30628942)
Thanks Happy! Excellent summary. I was just approved today for the 40k + $250 stmt credit today. Citi provided a card # to start using the card now. How long do I need to wait before requesing a match to 60k? Until the physical card arrives in the mail?

You need to register the card online or add it to your existing citi account log in before you can do the chat or send SM to request a match. So you would have to wait for the physical card to arrive thus enable you to do those things. Or you can be the guinea pig to call with your given card number and see if you could even get thru and then the phone rep would understand what you are requesting... :)

Happy Jan 8, 19 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 30628340)
I have one 12/31/18 and 2/15/19 that are 40k/$2K + 20k/$6k

That is the one and the only mailer I receive, 2/15/19, exact same crummy offer.

bobert24 Jan 8, 19 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 30628420)

Agreed. I think everything after 11/15 expiration is 50k+10k (or less).

Originally Posted by jiaogulan (Post 30628777)
Same. Will be interesting to see if this is some sort of cycling down trend of the mailer game, or if it's just a blip and will continue strong for a while. Strong is relative as well, as 50K/3K maintaining for a while isn't exactly bad in the grand scheme.

I don't like the lower offer, but I personally have gotten way more mailers in the past 2 months than ever before. Anybody else in that situation? With 1 app per mailer now, it's actually not a bad place to be.

fredc84 Jan 8, 19 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30629118)

I don't like the lower offer, but I personally have gotten way more mailers in the past 2 months than ever before. Anybody else in that situation? With 1 app per mailer now, it's actually not a bad place to be.

Yeah. Like I said, we have 8 with the latest expiring 2/15. We won't be able to use them all.

bobert24 Jan 8, 19 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30627739)
We need to collect DPs on the matches granted to the new 50K+10K offers.

Reading the past several pages, it seems the amounts ranging from 15K to 10K to 5K only. It also seems to depend on the amount of initial requests.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30593652-post3296.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30607844-post3333.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30624425-post3376.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30622133-post3365.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30624876-post3381.html

My gut feeling is if you request a match to the 50+10, with only 15K, you would get it without drama as the reps could see the offer as a 60K. But if you are asking for a 20K based on the 50K, the outcomes have been either a 15K, 10K or worse, a 5K, probably being result of poor math done by the persons who granted the courtesy pts.
Given some of us also are confused by the 50+10 being 60K offer, it is entirely possible the Citi reps see those 50+10 being a 60K offer so only 15K max can be granted. We have not have a single positive DP on 20K asked, 20K granted.

It's simple. Citi sees 50k+10k offers as 60k offers. Maximum match on that would be 15k, for a total of 75k. Nothing new there.

The problem actually appears to be on our end. If you look at most of the DPs (and their followup posts) carefully, you can see that most of the extras less than 15k have been the result of poor wording. "Can you match my offer to 70k?" "Sure, you've got a 60k offer, so we'll just add 10k more points."

The solution to this is also simple. Never ask for anything less than 75k. That way, no matter what the max match you can get is, you'll get it. Don't mention how many extra miles you think you should get, don't mention what your current offer is. Don't allow any room for confusion. Just ask for 75k miles.

VegasGambler Jan 8, 19 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30628331)

I have two 12/31 ones (I used one, and am waiting to use the 2nd) and both are 50k+10k

phant0m Jan 8, 19 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30629076)
That is the one and the only mailer I receive, 2/15/19, exact same crummy offer.

Definitely not as nice as the older ones but I can hit $6k pretty easily in two months with my mortgage so I don't have any problem applying for them.

Happy Jan 8, 19 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 30629156)
Definitely not as nice as the older ones but I can hit $6k pretty easily in two months with my mortgage so I don't have any problem applying for them.

The $6K mortgage spend can meet 2 new cards spend, just a thought.

Personally I would wait a while because if history repeats itself, Citi has sent out the 50K mailers before and then a few months later resuming the 60K and 65K offers. The lower balled offers seem to be a test on the reception - the less people taking the low balled mailer the better chance Citi will resume the better offers.

pkoo Jan 9, 19 8:42 am

I applied and got approved for a 40k + $200 statement credit offer 2 weeks ago. I called today to ask to be matched to a 60k bonus miles offer but the CSR said we would have to file a "dispute." Does that sound right to anyone?

On the other hand, I want to make sure I don't lose the $200 statement credit, since that isn't a part of any other offer that gives more than 40k miles

bigshooter Jan 9, 19 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30629330)
The $6K mortgage spend can meet 2 new cards spend, just a thought.

Personally I would wait a while because if history repeats itself, C1t1 has sent out the 50K mailers before and then a few months later resuming the 60K and 65K offers. The lower balled offers seem to be a test on the reception - the less people taking the low balled mailer the better chance C!t! will resume the better offers.

Why wait for a couple of months when in that time you could have at minimum 100k miles with 2x50k/$3k (best case 130k with match), and still apply for new cards after that time? Nothing guarantees mailers will continue, language isn't inserted to stop the churning madness, or offers could get worse.

I've used the 50k+10k mailers for my last three apps and met full spend. It's a little less convenient, but it's here now and I say take full advantage of it.

AugustWest Jan 9, 19 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30631673)
Why wait for a couple of months when in that time you could have at minimum 100k miles with 2x50k/$3k (best case 130k with match), and still apply for new cards after that time? Nothing guarantees mailers will continue, language isn't inserted to stop the churning madness, or offers could get worse.

I've used the 50k+10k mailers for my last three apps and met full spend. It's a little less convenient, but it's here now and I say take full advantage of it.

This. We have no idea how long this will last. It is easy to feel a little spoiled after months of 78,000 miles for $3k spend, but 53,000 miles for the same spend is gravy too.

RobertHanson Jan 9, 19 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30630767)
Will I have any problems with Citi if I make a single $3500+ Plastiq rent payment on each card and nothing else?

EDIT: note that this is not manufactured spend or anything like that. This is my actual rent payment made to my landlord. Although, I guess Citi doesn't know that. Do they care?

Citi could care less. DW and I used to each get 2 Exec cards at the same time, with a min spnd of $10K on each card. We would each get $5K of GCs at CVS, 4 days in a row, and be done with the entire $40K min spnd in just 4 days. Never heard a word from Citi.

The only thing that has changed is that Citi CSRs tell me they have had massive fraud problems with charges at CVS, so they have become skittish about large charges there. But I'm still doing all of my Citi Min Spnd with a $500 GC from my local grocer for the first spend, then $1K GC spend for the rest. Completing the $3k Min Spnd in just a few days. And same as before, not a word about it from Citi. Maybe a day will come when they do care, but that day is not now.

iowa guy Jan 9, 19 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30632831)
Citi could care less. DW and I used to each get 2 Exec cards at the same time, with a min spnd of $10K on each card. We would each get $5K of GCs at CVS, 4 days in a row, and be done with the entire $40K min spnd in just 4 days. Never heard a word from Citi.

:confused: who what where when why how which way did he go which way did he go:confused:

How on this planet, or any other, do you spend $40k at CVS?

RobertHanson Jan 9, 19 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30633012)
:confused: who what where when why how which way did he go which way did he go:confused:

Oh, come on, like you've never bought $40K worth of candy at CVS. :)

Back in the day, CVS would let you buy $5K of Vanilla Visa gift cards per 24 hours. We would go in together and buy $5K each; so $10K a day. 24 hours later repeat that. Four days later we'd done our entire $10K per card min spnd, ($10K x 4 cards = $40K) and we'd get our 100K AA miles per card (400K total) deposited in our AA accounts as soon as the statement closed, which was often as little as a week after we got the cards in the mail. Then we'd deposit the $40K of GCs into Blue Bird, and later Redbird, (may they rest in peace), and use that to pay off the balance on the cards.

If you find that incredible, I might add that as soon as the miles showed up in the AA accounts, we'd cancel the cards, meaning we didn't need to even pay the very high AFs, since the cards were cancelled before the AFs were due. We did this over and over again, until Citi changed the rules, and eventually discontinued the card. But they never said a single bad word to us. In fact Citi is still to this day giving us more AA cards every 33 days

Those were the days.... :)

VegasGambler Jan 9, 19 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 30633012)

He's talking about manufactured spending (I assume). There's a whole forum to discuss this but the main idea is that you buy gift cards that can be liquidated for cash. Example: Buy a visa gift card (from, possibly, CVS) and then use that gift card to purchase a money order which you deposit back into your bank account. You are out the gift card fees and the money order purchase fee. I've never done this and I'm not recommending it (at least not without researching it -- there are pitfalls) but that's the main idea. There is a lot of info in the manufactured spend forum if you are interested.

I'm not doing anything like that. I'm just paying my rent with my credit card, through a payment service. Because a single rent payment is more than the minimum spend requirement, my question was, does Citi care if I open a credit card, make a single large charge to get the bonus, and never charge anything else to the card? Or, should I throw them the occasional bit of "regular" spend, just so it's not 1 purchase per credit card?

SeeBuyFly Jan 9, 19 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30633195)
He's talking about manufactured spending (I assume). There's a whole forum to discuss this...

Yes! There is! Which means that...

LWT3 Jan 9, 19 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30633178)
as soon as the miles showed up in the AA accounts, we'd cancel the cards, meaning we didn't need to even pay the very high AFs, since the cards were cancelled before the AFs were due. We did this over and over again, until Citi changed the rules, and eventually discontinued the card. But they never said a single bad word to us. In fact Citi is still to this day giving us more AA cards every 33 days

And those cards came with a statement credit of $200, so Citi literally paid you to take the miles. Hard to top that. Vanilla Reload, we hardly knew ye.

bigboy61 Jan 9, 19 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30629137)
It's simple. Citi sees 50k+10k offers as 60k offers. Maximum match on that would be 15k, for a total of 75k. Nothing new there.

The problem actually appears to be on our end. If you look at most of the DPs (and their followup posts) carefully, you can see that most of the extras less than 15k have been the result of poor wording. "Can you match my offer to 70k?" "Sure, you've got a 60k offer, so we'll just add 10k more points."

The solution to this is also simple. Never ask for anything less than 75k. That way, no matter what the max match you can get is, you'll get it. Don't mention how many extra miles you think you should get, don't mention what your current offer is. Don't allow any room for confusion. Just ask for 75k miles.

As someone stated above, Citi is looking at the maximum bonus amount. Considering the 50k/$3k spend + 10k/$6 offer, you need to assume they are looking at the 60k offer when you ask for a match. If you ask to be matched to 65k, they will only give you 5k more because the 60k max bonus + 5k courteous match = 65k. If you want the whole 15k, you need to ask to be matched to the 75k offer.

geclub1 Jan 9, 19 5:35 pm

... eventually discontinued the card.

Slightly incorrect. That card is still very much alive.

RobertHanson Jan 9, 19 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 30634089)
Slightly incorrect. That card is still very much alive.

With a 100,000 mile sign up bonus, after $10K in spend? I think not....

The reason we stopped applying for it is because they stopped offering it. Then apparently (I'm not an expert on Citi app offers over time) they brought it out again with different T/Cs. I can tell you if they had simply lowered the bonus to 50K, and allowed you to still avoid the AF, we'd still be applying for many more of them.

If they want to use a name they have used before, with totally different spnd, and totally different sign up bonus, etc. fine. But it's not the same thing in my book. Pretend it's the same if you wish.Not something I wish to argue about.

qazwsx Jan 9, 19 9:58 pm

Personal 50k card question

Hi I just got approved for the 50k miles for 3k spend and a total of 6k spend within 12 month for an additional 10k miles. Do I need to spend 3k then spend an additional 6k to get the full bonus (total of 9k spend)? Or spend the first 3k for 50k miles and spend another 3k to get 10k bonus (first 3k spent count towards the 6k spend) ?

Saturn Jan 9, 19 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by qazwsx (Post 30634857)
Hi I just got approved for the 50k miles for 3k spend and a total of 6k spend within 12 month for an additional 10k miles. Do I need to spend 3k then spend an additional 6k to get the full bonus (total of 9k spend)? Or spend the first 3k for 50k miles and spend another 3k to get 10k bonus (first 3k spent count towards the 6k spend) ?

Personally, I would forget about the second tier. Ask for a match to the 65k offer early, meet the first threshold, plan to retire the card. Apply for a new card with mailer code in time to put spend on that.

Saturn Jan 9, 19 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30629118)

Things have actually been rather dry where I am.

I can also chime in that the last 60k/3k batch had 11/15 expiration, so other poster was mistaken. December offers were all tiered, some with the ridiculous 40k+10k offer.

I did get a bunch of straight 50k/3k mailers with 1/31 expiration.

My most recent arrivals last month were all tiered with 2/15 expiration. Nothing further out, but I trust there will be a fresh campaign in the spring.

bigshooter Jan 10, 19 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Saturn (Post 30635118)
Personally, I would forget about the second tier. Ask for a match to the 65k offer early, meet the first threshold, plan to retire the card. Apply for a new card with mailer code in time to put spend on that.

If you ask for a 65k match you'll probably get 5k extra points. you need to ask for match to 75k offer to get 15k points or 65k total for $3k spend.

IkeEsq Jan 10, 19 7:28 am

Originally Posted by qazwsx (Post 30634857)

You need to spend a TOTAL of $6000 (or $10,000 on some cards) within 1 year.

Brituchenite Jan 10, 19 11:50 am

Hmmmm. Want to use a 9-digit mailer code. Offer in the letter is 50k miles with $3k spend and further 10k miles for $6000 total spend. Follow the link, and the landing page has no mention whatsoever of Miles offer. (see image). Code was valid to 12/31/18, but I've always been under the impression that codes are usable for approximately 30 days after the validity date.

Any thoughts? I'm not completing this application yet without getting inuput from y'all!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a96c7ac840.png

PresskittJon Jan 10, 19 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Brituchenite (Post 30637203)
Hmmmm. Want to use a 9-digit mailer code. Offer in the letter is 50k miles with $3k spend and further 10k miles for $6000 total spend. Follow the link, and the landing page has no mention whatsoever of Miles offer. (see image). Code was valid to 12/31/18, but I've always been under the impression that codes are usable for approximately 30 days after the validity date.

Any thoughts? I'm not completing this application yet without getting inuput from y'all!

This exact question is specifically asked and answered in the wiki

Brituchenite Jan 10, 19 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by PresskittJon (Post 30637556)
This exact question is specifically asked and answered in the wiki

Apologies. For some reason I had in my mind that was for business card apps.
Thank you for putting me straight on that.

pkoo Jan 10, 19 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 30631836)
What language did you use when asking? See post 3369.

I said that I applied and got approved for 40,000 bonus miles but that there was an offer for 60,000 bonus miles. I asked if I can "actually get 60,000 miles instead of the 40,000 that was given to me."

Tried to keep it as general as possible

BONDMI6 Jan 10, 19 3:17 pm

Oh, come on, like you've never bought $40K worth of candy at CVS. :)

Back in the day, CVS would let you buy $5K of Vanilla Visa gift cards per 24 hours. We would go in together and buy $5K each; so $10K a day. 24 hours later repeat that. Four days later we'd done our entire $10K per card min spnd, ($10K x 4 cards = $40K) and we'd get our 100K AA miles per card (400K total) deposited in our AA accounts as soon as the statement closed, which was often as little as a week after we got the cards in the mail. Then we'd deposit the $40K of GCs into Blue Bird, and later Redbird, (may they rest in peace), and use that to pay off the balance on the cards.

If you find that incredible, I might add that as soon as the miles showed up in the AA accounts, we'd cancel the cards, meaning we didn't need to even pay the very high AFs, since the cards were cancelled before the AFs were due. We did this over and over again, until Citi changed the rules, and eventually discontinued the card. But they never said a single bad word to us. In fact Citi is still to this day giving us more AA cards every 33 days

You are lucky that Citi has not been as aggresive as Amex. If you did this with Amex today, Amex would claw back your bonus miles, shut down those card accounts, and very likely close other accounts you have with them. You took a big risk and it paid off. Citi is much more relaxed than Amex towards customers that game their bonus offers, but this could change at any moment.

fredc84 Jan 10, 19 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by pkoo (Post 30637861)
I said that I applied and got approved for 40,000 bonus miles but that there was an offer for 60,000 bonus miles. I asked if I can "actually get 60,000 miles instead of the 40,000 that was given to me."

Tried to keep it as general as possible

Your request is a little vague, but it sounds like you are asking them to change your bonus from 40K to 60K...which they can't do. You can request a "courtesy" 20K to make up the difference...basically asking them to give you 20K miles.

RobertHanson Jan 10, 19 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by BONDMI6 (Post 30638211)
You are lucky that Citi has not been as aggresive as Amex. If you did this with Amex today, Amex would claw back your bonus miles, shut down those card accounts, and very likely close other accounts you have with them. You took a big risk and it paid off. Citi is much more relaxed than Amex towards customers that game their bonus offers, but this could change at any moment.

Really? I had no idea.... :rolleyes:

Other than, of course, that it's right there in the AMEX app T/Cs, and no doubt the FT AMEX wiki as well. And if you think AMEX would react that way, just try it with Chase. (ie Don't try it with Chase !)

And I wasn't in the least "lucky". I waited a few months as others used that loophole, to see if Citi would come after them. When I basically got the "come on in, the water is fine" signal from folks that had already done it multiple times, and were somewhat critical of my having missed several chances at 200K miles for free, I decided to join the party.

"this could change at any moment"

Sure, in fact according to the AA T/Cs for (Dis)AAdvantage, they could cancel the entire program tomorrow, with no notice whatsoever. I greatly doubt they will, but legally they could. But many of us have been doing similar things for the past ten years at least, piling up humongous numbers of miles, with as I said not a whimper from Citi. Right now DW and I have a combined 2 Million AA miles in our accounts, despite going FC Anytime to Europe/Asia every Summer for the past 10 years. So what's your point anyway?

The fact that you bring up AMEX is especially amusing. I've been MSing both of our AMEX Surpass cards for a number of years, to the tune of around a combined $72K annually, with Visa GCs at grocery stores. That pays 6X HH points per $. Ends up costing me @$50 a night for HH properties that retail at 3 times that price. Plus full free breakfast in European properties just due to the card making me instant HH Gold. Quite the deal...

AMEX's response? They keep sending me targeted offers for Gold and Platinum cards, with full sign up bonuses, despite the fact that I've had these cards before. Last July I got another PRG card, with a 60K point sign up bonus, and no fee the first year. No 'once in a Lifetime' for me. And they keep trying to get me to do low interest rate balance transfers to my AMEX cards. (Which I ignore, since I have no need for balance transfers, even if they were at 0%.) Yes, AMEX and I are BFFs. :)