FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

IkeEsq Jan 27, 19 8:26 am


Originally Posted by AndyGator87 (Post 30704576)
I applied with a Dec. 31 mailer a week ago. I didn't even notice the no bonus thing until looking at my screenshot recently when cleaning up my desktop. Same situation - bonus did not show on the app page. Sure hope I didn't waste a pull/approval. Sometimes in the churning game, you have to be the data point. Really sucks if the 2 month extended window ended in 2018.

That is not how it works. The ability to apply up to two months after the listed expiration is not related to whether or not you get the bonus. If the application loads it is because your invitation code has not been used before and you are within 2 months of the expiration date. Once the application loads, if you are approved then you will get the bonus if your application link is associated with an offer without 24-month restrictions or if you have not opened or closed a Citi AA card of that type (personal/business) in the previous 24 months.

RobertHanson Jan 27, 19 10:07 am


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30701317)
Mine came through email. It was around 10 days after the request though.

Citi is not exactly quick. 6 days is not enough time. You need to make a request, and then set a calendar reminder for 2 weeks later to remind yourself to check to see if they followed through.

Today I woke up to an email saying this:

"Hi Robert We've added 15,000 Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® miles to your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®account. You'll see this mileage adjustment on your statement within two billing periods." :) :) :)

fredc84 Jan 27, 19 10:12 am


Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30706351)
Today I woke up to an email saying this:

"Hi Robert We've added 15,000 Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® miles to your Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®account. You'll see this mileage adjustment on your statement within two billing periods." :) :) :)

Same here. First time I've gotten a response to a bonus request by email.

NTP9766 Jan 27, 19 10:38 am

Were your requests via chat or the SM workaround?

RobertHanson Jan 27, 19 11:00 am


Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30706459)
Were your requests via chat or the SM workaround?

SM

For what it's worth, the request for my previous card was done thru chat, and I haven't gotten a response to that one. Nor any extra miles posted, although today's email did mention two billing periods to see the miles added to my AA account, so I suppose there's still a chance of getting them.

Not holding my breath though... :p

RobertHanson Jan 27, 19 11:16 am


Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30706547)
SM

For what it's worth, the request for my previous card was done thru chat, and I haven't gotten a response to that one. Nor any extra miles posted, although today's email did mention two billing periods to see the miles added to my AA account, so I suppose there's still a chance of getting them. Not holding my breath though... :p

And we need all of the miles we can get due to the recent AA devaluation, which I haven't read about anywhere. We like to go TATL FC non-stop, and of course finding 2 such awards in Saver is virtually impossible. So lately we've had to bite the bullet and go Anytime. In previous years most days, at least in the Summer, priced out at 140K miles one way.

Not anymore. Although there are still a few dates at 140K, especially July thru mid-August, once you hit September it's mostly 175K, or even 215K. :rolleyes:

430K for one RT? :eek:

NTP9766 Jan 27, 19 12:04 pm


Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30706604)
And we need all of the miles we can get due to the recent AA devaluation, which I haven't read about anywhere. We like to go TATL FC non-stop, and of course finding 2 such awards in Saver is virtually impossible. So lately we've had to bite the bullet and go Anytime. In previous years most days, at least in the Summer, priced out at 140K miles one way.

Not anymore. Although there are still a few dates at 140K, especially July thru mid-August, once you hit September it's mostly 175K, or even 215K. :rolleyes:

430K for one RT? :eek:

I had not heard, but just read up on it... JFC. I only use my miles for PHL-OGG, so I'm not thrilled about this. It looks like main cabin awards aren't changing, but MileSAAver Buisness/FC and FC is going up 15k. Seeing as how I've had a hard time finding MileSAAver BC/FC anything from the East Coast, this may wind up not affecting me at all (we usually just fly coach). I don't think the new Premium Economy booking tool will be relevant to me, either, since I don't like the connections through DFW and generally fly via LAX.

This will just fuel my need to continue churning the hell out of these cards regardless of offer.

RobertHanson Jan 27, 19 1:39 pm


Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30706738)
MileSAAver Buisness/FC and FC is going up 15k.

Well the FC Anytime from LHR to LAX starting Sept 6th, which used to be pretty available for 140K, is going to either 175K or 215K, depending on the day you fly. That's an increase of 25% to 55%. And that's for the Anytime price, which was already something like 60% higher than the totally unavailable Saver rate. In other words, either 200%, or 250%, higher than the mythical Saver rate.

I can't imagine anyone who gets their miles from paid flights, and/or buying miles, wanting to have anything to do with AA anymore. If it wasn't for mailers we'd be thinking of spending next Summers vacation at Orlando instead of Paris. :rolleyes:

There was a time when I'd take the punishment of an 11 hour overnight flight in economy. But not anymore. Besides which, back then we flew a 763 which had only window and aisle seats on the sides, ie 2 across, not the current 10 across with only 31 inches from the seat in front of you. :eek:

Maybe if I'd never been to Europe before, in which case I wouldn't realize that the level of exhaustion from such a flight in 'AA cattle class' (TM) takes days to recover from, I'd do it. But I've been dozens of times, and as much as I'm looking forward to going again, we don't have to go again. Thank God for mailers, may they rain down upon us for many years to come. :p

acinchus Jan 27, 19 3:50 pm

Need some insights from those who are maximizing the mailers by applying for 2 cards during every 2-3 month rolling period

Which of the following you consider a must-do vs good-to-do

a. reduce original CL of 13-19k down to 3-5k within first few weeks/months after getting the card to increase auto approve chances in future? In other words does reducing CL really help (with Citi or even banks who are looking at reports) and if not would like to stop taking that extra step or make it a low priority

b. cancel cards in 6-9 month window vs. waiting to get closer to 12 months and try luck on retention offers? Ideally would like to close cards after 6 months, or are the retention offers (in the 11-13 month window) worth the burden of the extra calls and requirements to meet?

NTP9766 Jan 27, 19 3:59 pm

I’ve thought about lowering the CL immediately to something like $4k, but never have. I see no reason to keep the card open one second past the point of receiving the bonus miles. There’s just no reason to do that if you’re going to churn the cards.

Meet the spend. Lower the CL. Close the card. Rinse, repeat.

Happy Jan 27, 19 5:07 pm


Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30706547)
SM

For what it's worth, the request for my previous card was done thru chat, and I haven't gotten a response to that one. Nor any extra miles posted, although today's email did mention two billing periods to see the miles added to my AA account, so I suppose there's still a chance of getting them.

Not holding my breath though... :p

Your email should mention the last 4 digits of the AA card it is related to.
So you can identify which AA card still hasn't gotten a response. I were you I would do a HUCA chat / SM on the one that hasn't gotten any reply or any bonus.
Pretty sure it does not take 2 billing cycles to get the additional. It should show up on the statement of the billing cycle your request is granted. Nobody seems to need to wait for the 2nd statement to get the additional - either it came BEFORE the regular bonus because there was not enough time to meet the spend - like in the occasions when the statement closed the next day or next 2 days after the physical card arrived - there would be NO WAY to meet the spend due to Citi takes 2 days or more to post a pending charge, or the additional came with the regular on the same statement in which you met the spend.
NEVER need to wait for another statement if the request is handled properly before a statement closing date.
You can choose to wait another cycle or to HUCA chat or SM fashion.

NTP9766 Jan 27, 19 6:16 pm

And if you HUC(hat)A, you may even get 1k bonus miles for your trouble. ;)

IkeEsq Jan 27, 19 6:27 pm

I immediately lower CL to $5K when I get the card.
When I finish paying off the card after earning the miles, I reduce CL to $2000.
As soon as the CL is reduced, the miles in account, and the card is paid off, I close the account. Usually 3-4 months on the outside.


Originally Posted by acinchus (Post 30707408)
Need some insights from those who are maximizing the mailers by applying for 2 cards during every 2-3 month rolling period

Which of the following you consider a must-do vs good-to-do

a. reduce original CL of 13-19k down to 3-5k within first few weeks/months after getting the card to increase auto approve chances in future? In other words does reducing CL really help (with Citi or even banks who are looking at reports) and if not would like to stop taking that extra step or make it a low priority

b. cancel cards in 6-9 month window vs. waiting to get closer to 12 months and try luck on retention offers? Ideally would like to close cards after 6 months, or are the retention offers (in the 11-13 month window) worth the burden of the extra calls and requirements to meet?


Carl Christensen Jan 28, 19 4:41 am


Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30700796)
I'm not having any luck with courtesy bonuses. On my prior card, I used chat, and the Chat CSR said they would put in the request "right away". But I didn't get any follow up, and no extra bonus ever showed up. On my most recent card, I used the SMC, and got this response:

"We have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate department for handling. Within 24 hours, you will receive an email notice that we have replied to your inquiry. At that time, simply log into Account Online to view the response.
Thank you for using our website."

Now it's six days later, and though the SMC shows my request was sent, there again has been no response of any sort. :(

I see your posts about trips to Europe using AA miles. How do you stay hotel points or?

i agree that the inflation of award prices and lack of availability is frustrating and we have been bitting the bullet and booking anyway given the wealth that Citi has bestowed upon us.

PETERPNYC Jan 28, 19 10:26 am


Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30704424)
Have you read upthread on how Citi is treating those X + Y offers? Hint - it is the total that matters.
Yes, more than one poster has asked differently. You can read the outcomes a few pages back.

Seriously, lots of questions asked, even on new offers, are being discussed and experimented on, with the outcomes posted. All you need to do is just spend a few minutes to read back in case you have not regularly followed this thread. Though I believe anyone and everyone who is using mailers should make this thread a regular read. A few min a day would keep you very up to date.

For true newbies, Wiki is your friend. 99% of your questions are addressed in the Wiki.


I think this should be more of a mandate , than a suggestion .

I make a habit of reading at least 15-25 posts before asking questions and then also
try to contribute to the thread, instead of
just dropping in an being spoon fed, and I believe since I think we all work pretty hard
at this Hobby ? , we should not encourage this behavior .

If people are not willing to do the basics,they
should not benefit solely from the work of
others .


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:03 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.