Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Extended Warranty [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Citi Extended Warranty [Consolidated]

I just got the Citi Costco card. Like the extended warranty. However, I wonder what happens if I buy something with, say, with 3 year warranty and I cancel my Costco membership 4 years from now. Since I can't have the card without Costco membership, what will happen?

The official rule is you must have the account open but you can't without the Costco membership. Will Citi honor the benefit? Will it help to have another Citibank card?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
My Guess: No Costco membership=no benefits!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
I just got the Citi Costco card. Like the extended warranty. However, I wonder what happens if I buy something with, say, with 3 year warranty and I cancel my Costco membership 4 years from now. Since I can't have the card without Costco membership, what will happen?

The official rule is you must have the account open but you can't without the Costco membership. Will Citi honor the benefit? Will it help to have another Citibank card?

Thanks.
I don't understand your question. Four years from now, your three year warranty will have expired anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stheller
I don't understand your question. Four years from now, your three year warranty will have expired anyway.
I think username means a three year manufacturer's warranty plus a two year Citi warranty, five years total.
stheller likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
I had asked Citi a similar question with respect to the Honors Reserve card being tranisitioned to Amex, they told me as long as I purchased it with a Citi cc, the warranty would apply. They didn't say anything about the card having to remain open, and I didn't see anything in the T&C that requires the card to be remain open.

I suppose when you cancel your Costco membership, you could ask them to convert the card to a no-fee card, just in case.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by stanj
I didn't see anything in the T&C that requires the card to be remain open.

These benefits apply to cards issued in the United
States by Citibank, N.A. to residents of the United States. The United
States is defined as the 50 United States, the District of Columbia,
American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands and
Northern Mariana Islands. No person or entity other than you shall
have any legal or equitable right, remedy, or claim for benefits,
insurance proceeds and damages under or arising out of these
programs. These benefits do not apply if your card privileges have
been cancelled. However, benefits will still apply for any benefit you
were eligible for prior to the date that your account is suspended
or cancelled, subject to the terms and conditions of coverage
Non-insurance benefits described in this Guide may be provided
by a third party provider.
It's unclear if this only means that claims filed prior to closing the account will still be processed, or if purchases made prior to closing are covered.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:21 pm

If I Cancel Card, Does Extended Warranty End?

I have a Prestige Card, thinking of not renewing.

Does anyone know - once I fail to renew, do any Citi extended warranties end?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
You could downgrade to a no fee card that might preserve the extended warranty.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
You could downgrade to a no fee card that might preserve the extended warranty.
That was actually my follow-up question. If you do have to keep the account active, would obtaining another Citi card with the same warranty provision keep it alive.

Costco Card comes to mind, I think has same warranty provision, so that might do it - if there is a requirement that an account be maintained.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Costco + Citi extended warranty questions

About to buy a dishwasher at Costco.
—Manufacturer warranty is 1 year
—Costco adds 1 year
—Citi adds 2 years (Chase and Amex add 1)

If I eventually downgrade Prestige (used for purchase) to Premier will I still be covered on the Citi extended warranty?

And if anyone can answer this question (esp in case downgrade question is no):

Will Amex and Chase add their year AFTER Costco’s year or will it occur simultaneously (and therefore moot)?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:48 am
mia

Extended Warranty terms begin on page 29, with extensive explanation of how Citi's benefit applies when there are other warranties:

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...R20_FINAL.ashx

Also read the Additional Terms at the end of the document:

These benefits do not apply if Your card privileges
have been cancelled. However, benefits will still apply for any
benefit You were eligible for prior to the date that Your account is
suspended or cancelled, subject to the terms and conditions
of coverage.
I read this to mean that if you close your account the coverage ends, but pending claims will still be processed. Downgrading to another card type is not explicitly discussed.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:50 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Successful extended warranty claim

Couldn't find a thread with any experiences so maybe the mods will use this as a generic experiences thread?

I had a successful claim on a broken TV. The display had suddenly gone cloudy, then completely blank. Had a local repair shop diagnose it, would require replacing the most expensive part on the TV. They gave me an estimate of $1400+, which was nearly the replacement cost of the whole thing.

Original charge was on a Forward card but had no problem making the claim on the converted ThankYou Preferred with a new card number.

Manufacturer's warranty was 12 months and the claim was right around the 23 month mark. No problem there.

I started the claim with a phone rep at the insurance provider. Very easy process. Then they emailed a request for specific documentation:
  • Itemized store receipt (printout from Amazon)
  • Copy of Manufacturer's Warranty - I read that many people had trouble producing this, since Citi often asks for the original printed warranty from the product manual. I found a page at the manufacturer's website that clearly showed the detailed model number with warranty information and that was acceptable
  • Repair Estimate
  • Photos of Item (didn't know what to send, so took photos of the back, front, and serial number)
  • Copy of Extended Service Plan (didn't buy one, so sent a note attesting to that)
Two weeks later, got back a request for the Repair Estimate again, breaking out the costs and the diagnosis. I realized it wasn't exactly clear from the wording on the estimate, so I sent back a note explaining where to find that info on the estimate.

Few days later, got an email approving the claim at the full amount on the estimate, including the diagnostic fee and taxes.

Since the repair would be so expensive, we bought a newer model instead. It was basically a wash at that point.

Really pleased with the experience! A new TV was NOT in the budget this year so we were scrambling to figure out what to do for entertainment.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I had a successful claim on a broken TV.
That is awesome.

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2018 at 1:38 pm Reason: Prune quotation.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Citi extended warranty cover failing AirPods?

I thought there was a master thread for Citi extended-warranty questions but I couldn't find it with a search. I bought AirPods on a Citi card (which I still have) back in early 2017. The AirPods are now failing — they won't hold a charge for more than about an hour — and the one-year Apple warranty has expired. Apple is quoting $69/each to replace them, which is only about $20 less than the price for a new pair plus a new charging case.

My understanding is the AirPods should be covered under Citi's extended warranty for about another year. Has anyone filed a similar claim with Citi? I can't find any exemptions that would apply to failing batteries, but it's possible I missed something. I have the repair estimate and a case number from Apple. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by joe_miami
....can't find any exemptions that would apply to failing batteries....
Does your card's coverage include this exclusion?

The item has a product defect, recall, or experiences normal wear and tear where no failure has occurred.
It's normal for battery capacity to diminish, and the rate of decline becomes the basis of the claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.