Citi Extended Warranty [Consolidated]

Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:09 pm

Will Extended Warranty Cover Refurbished Item?

I have the Premier card, one of the exclusions from extended warranty coverage is "Used, antique or pre-owned items."

I bought a factory refurbished item with a full manufacturer's warranty. Any idea if it would be covered by the extended warranty?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Citi
These benefits apply to cards issued in the United
States by Citibank, N.A. to residents of the United States. The United
States is defined as the 50 United States, the District of Columbia,
American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands and
Northern Mariana Islands. No person or entity other than you shall
have any legal or equitable right, remedy, or claim for benefits,
insurance proceeds and damages under or arising out of these
programs. These benefits do not apply if your card privileges have
been cancelled. However, benefits will still apply for any benefit you
were eligible for prior to the date that your account is suspended
or cancelled, subject to the terms and conditions of coverage
Non-insurance benefits described in this Guide may be provided
by a third party provider.
Originally Posted by mia
It's unclear if this only means that claims filed prior to closing the account will still be processed, or if purchases made prior to closing are covered.
Originally Posted by mia
Extended Warranty terms begin on page 29, with extensive explanation of how Citi's benefit applies when there are other warranties:

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/...R20_FINAL.ashx

Also read the Additional Terms at the end of the document:

I read this to mean that if you close your account the coverage ends, but pending claims will still be processed. Downgrading to another card type is not explicitly discussed.

Did anyone resolve this? My reading of the text is that not only will pending claims filed before the card was closed be processed, but that you are still able to file new claims after the card was closed. Has anyone been able to confirm which is it?

Does anyone have practical experience with a claim after closing the card?

I imagine downgrading the card to one that still has the Extended Warranty provisions will definitely keep it alive?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:20 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Originally Posted by abcx

I imagine downgrading the card to one that still has the Extended Warranty provisions will definitely keep it alive?
I'm trying to figure this out too.

I want to buy a new iMac with my Citi AA PLT card but will be downgrading it to a no-fee card this year.....I wanna make sure the iMac is covered for the additional 2 years so I don't have to pay for Apple Care.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by abcx
Did anyone resolve this? My reading of the text is that not only will pending claims filed before the card was closed be processed, but that you are still able to file new claims after the card was closed. Has anyone been able to confirm which is it?

Does anyone have practical experience with a claim after closing the card?

Any updates on this? I'm wanting to get the free two years extra, but I can get 1.5 UR points per dollar instead of the two years extra, and that's about another $250 in value over 1.0 TYP per dollar.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Will inflatable boat be covered by Citi's extended warranty? I'm looking at the benefits, and it says: Cars, boats, aircraft or any motorized land, air or water vehicles and their original equipment are not covered. But the boat I want to buy is not motorized.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Will inflatable boat be covered by Citi's extended warranty? I'm looking at the benefits, and it says: Cars, boats, aircraft or any motorized land, air or water vehicles and their original equipment are not covered. But the boat I want to buy is not motorized.
Not covered, as the first time the word "boats" appears it is not modified by the word motorized.

If it said "any other" instead of "any" you might have had a case.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Not covered, as the first time the word "boats" appears it is not modified by the word motorized.

If it said "any other" instead of "any" you might have had a case.
I checked the PDF benefits file from the Citi web site, and it actually says:
"Boats, cars, aircraft or any other motorized land, air or water
vehicles and their original equipment."
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:02 am

Will car battery be covered, or it falls under "original equipment"?
Here is an excerpt from Guide to Benefits:
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:40 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by yugi
The only place that I see this language is in the list of exclusions:

Are you asking about the battery which was supplied with the car or a replacement battery that you purchased separately?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The only place that I see this language is in the list of exclusions:

Are you asking about the battery which was supplied with the car or a replacement battery that you purchased separately?
Replacement battery.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Any updates on this? I'm wanting to get the free two years extra, but I can get 1.5 UR points per dollar instead of the two years extra, and that's about another $250 in value over 1.0 TYP per dollar.
I know this is too late. Another option is to pay with Citi Rewards+ which offers 24 months extended warranty and no annual fee so you can keep it open. Credit cards which still offer an extended warranty
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Bad news on my current Costco Anywhere Visa statement:

Effective January 22, 2023, Extended Warranty coverage will be discontinued
and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by cjw2001
Effective January 22, 2023, Extended Warranty coverage will be discontinued
and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date.
Yep, between this and the travel benefits being cut, this card's become another sock drawer card for me.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, United Silver, AA Platinum
Just a data point here:
Called for extended warranty for a dyson vacuum that I purchased in 2018 September using Citi AA card around mid Feb in 2022. Got $100+ quickly after I went to a dyson dealer for repairing quote.
IAD-SFO-TPE and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:51 pm

As of today Costco CC killed the extended warranty!

What could be the replacement card? Also Chase Vs AMEX vs MasterCard ?
Chase (upto 3yrs) and AMEX (upto 5yrs) are close - but who offers better service when you had to file a claim?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.