FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi Rewards+ (replaced Citi Preferred) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1948917-citi-rewards-replaced-citi-preferred.html)

sdsearch Feb 2, 2020 8:22 pm

If you apply within a Citibank branch, the singup offer currently is 20k for $1500 spend, as opposed to 15k for $1000 spend online. The offer I got said expires Feb 6, but the branch manager said that while there's no guarantee, they've kept extending it.

It was apparently even higher a few months ago:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ash-100-offer/

but I wasn't in a position to apply for it back then.

(Or maybe it's a different offer at branches in different parts of the country?)

GUWonder Feb 3, 2020 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 32025574)
If you apply within a Citibank branch, the singup offer currently is 20k for $1500 spend, as opposed to 15k for $1000 spend online. The offer I got said expires Feb 6, but the branch manager said that while there's no guarantee, they've kept extending it.

It was apparently even higher a few months ago:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...ash-100-offer/

but I wasn't in a position to apply for it back then.

(Or maybe it's a different offer at branches in different parts of the country?)

It was 30k TYP SUB for in-branch applications last quarter at least . And it was that way for in-branch applications in at least MA, NY, DC, and IL. 30k TYP for $1500 within 90 days, and it came with a promotional interest-fee period.

Didn’t realize until now that they also had a Citigold customer SUB for the same card but for 40k TYP.

YoungSoloTraveler Aug 23, 2020 2:15 am

If I were to theoretically find an establishment that allows $0.01 card transactions, does Citi have grounds to shut you down? Any experiences. Also can you convert a double cash card to this? Want to save my 24 month sign up bonus for a proper card.

kdm31091 Aug 23, 2020 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler (Post 32623767)
If I were to theoretically find an establishment that allows $0.01 card transactions, does Citi have grounds to shut you down? Any experiences. Also can you convert a double cash card to this? Want to save my 24 month sign up bonus for a proper card.

The card has terms about abuse of the rounding up feature so they definitely have grounds to shut you down. I wouldn't recommend pushing it.

You can likely convert the Double Cash card as long as it's 12 months old.

xov91 Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am

Does this card or the thankyou preferred still offer a 2-year extended warranty? And if so, does anyone know at what point in the product change process the benefits from the new card kick in?

It's surprisingly hard to find clear information about these questions. Thinking about buying a new phone, so the 2-year warranty would be nice. I'm hesitant to do the one-way costco PC.

mrkymark Nov 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by xov91 (Post 32849413)
Does this card or the thankyou preferred still offer a 2-year extended warranty? And if so, does anyone know at what point in the product change process the benefits from the new card kick in?

It's surprisingly hard to find clear information about these questions. Thinking about buying a new phone, so the 2-year warranty would be nice. I'm hesitant to do the one-way costco PC.

I believe only the prestige and premier have the extended warranty feature. TPG had an article about it when they removed all the benefits last year from most of the other cards.

brajalle Nov 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark (Post 32851404)
I believe only the prestige and premier have the extended warranty feature. TPG had an article about it when they removed all the benefits last year from most of the other cards.

The extended warranty still appears in the card benefits for my TY preferred, simplicity, and my wifes ATTAM. I believe the Costco card has it as well, since I know they get kept some benefits that ALL other cards lost. My understanding was that only the Double Cash card lost the extended warranty.

xov91 Nov 30, 2020 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by brajalle (Post 32853632)
The extended warranty still appears in the card benefits for my TY preferred, simplicity, and my wifes ATTAM. I believe the Costco card has it as well, since I know they get kept some benefits that ALL other cards lost. My understanding was that only the Double Cash card lost the extended warranty.

Thanks, this is the type of confirmation I was looking for. I've seen the TPG article but had also read elsewhere that the DC and dividend were the only cards losing extended warranty. Perhaps I'll PC my seldom used DC. Thanks again.

Traveler Dave Dec 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Citi Rewards+ Round-Up. Anyone really use this?

I got this card for the initial sign-up bonus but quickly put it in my “sock drawer”. I do use it on occasion when using a vending machine but find little benefit for the round-up feature.

I see advice/suggestions on blogs that you can get 10 points for a .50 cent Amazon reload. Good deal, but does anyone really do this? I guess I could do this repeatedly while on a conference call?

My question from the group is anyone doing this and are there any DPs of people getting shutdown for this? Since no one would really be buying .50 GC reloads on Amazon.

TD

Biscoff27 Dec 23, 2020 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave (Post 32908929)
I got this card for the initial sign-up bonus but quickly put it in my “sock drawer”. I do use it on occasion when using a vending machine but find little benefit for the round-up feature.

I see advice/suggestions on blogs that you can get 10 points for a .50 cent Amazon reload. Good deal, but does anyone really do this? I guess I could do this repeatedly while on a conference call?

My question from the group is anyone doing this and are there any DPs of people getting shutdown for this? Since no one would really be buying .50 GC reloads on Amazon.

TD

I have always thought the 10 point round up feature has received too much focus. It is unique, so that is fun. But getting an extra 8 points on your dollar purchase is hardly something to get excited about. I tend to use it 5-10x per month, mostly for parking (which is app based in my city). If I am waiting to get a haircut, I will just hit renew every every 3 minutes, so I get 10 TYP for my 6 cent parking charge. I know people have talked about writing code to do cheap Amazon reloads, but I worry that is playing with fire.

Personally, I think the real benefit of this card is the 10% back on redeeming TYP. If you run a Citi TYP card setup like I do (Premier, ATTA, Double Cash), adding this card to the mix will get you up to 10K in points a year. I would have to make more than 1000 purchases to get that from the roundup feature (and risk shutdown in the process).

Traveler Dave Dec 24, 2020 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Biscoff27 (Post 32909200)
I have always thought the 10 point round up feature has received too much focus. It is unique, so that is fun. But getting an extra 8 points on your dollar purchase is hardly something to get excited about. I tend to use it 5-10x per month, mostly for parking (which is app based in my city). If I am waiting to get a haircut, I will just hit renew every every 3 minutes, so I get 10 TYP for my 6 cent parking charge. I know people have talked about writing code to do cheap Amazon reloads, but I worry that is playing with fire.

Personally, I think the real benefit of this card is the 10% back on redeeming TYP. If you run a Citi TYP card setup like I do (Premier, ATTA, Double Cash), adding this card to the mix will get you up to 10K in points a year. I would have to make more than 1000 purchases to get that from the roundup feature (and risk shutdown in the process).

The info below is from Citi. Does transferring points to an airline count as redeeming or do I need to use them via Citi website?

10% Points Back from Redemptions
When you redeem your ThankYou Points, you’ll receive 10% points back for the first 100,000 ThankYou Points redeemed per calendar year. This means that if you redeem 10,000 ThankYou Points, you’ll receive 1,000 ThankYou Points from the 10% Points Back feature. You will not receive 10% Points Back on points you redeem on Points Sharing transactions.

kdm31091 Dec 24, 2020 7:48 am

Anything other than point sharing with another TY user should count as far as "redeeming" and get you the 10% points back.

The Round Up is basically a gimmick. Even if you buy a $2 coffee every day 5 days a week, that's 8 extra points, times 5 days, times 4 weeks...a whopping 160 extra points from the roundup. And using the card heavily for spend to get points in general doesn't make sense with the 1x/2x rewards rate. It's nice to hold the card, because then your redemptions get 10% back, but in terms of actually using it, it's not great. It's a marginal improvement over the Thank You Preferred that it replaced, though.

The terms have language stating that if Citi feels you're abusing it, they will close your account, so excessive reloads are probably not a good idea.

yugi Dec 24, 2020 10:25 am

I'm using this feature for small purchases, up to approximately $5, mostly on ebay shipping charges, since my other best card for this is Priceline 2x, which breaks even at $5 to get 10 points.

mrkymark Dec 24, 2020 10:28 am

Agree

I totally agree.
I was excited at first long ago about the round up but in real life it's just not that lucrative. Sometimes I use it for a donut or something cheap but at the end of the month when you do the tally maybe you earned 60 more cents in extra typ over the course of a month.
If you think about it, takes a lot of work when you have multiple cards in your wallet to remember to use the round up card.

The real value as mentioned before is the 10k, 10% back in typ redemption. That's why I got the card and will keep it. The roundup is a gimmick that if they took away I would not be sad about. Manufactured spending to gain value in ten cent increments isn't really my cup of tea.

akr1970akr Dec 25, 2020 5:38 pm

well its vaguely entertaining to remember to use this on 50c parking fees and stuff like that

i remember reading somewhere about some guy who paid his tuitition in 50c increments, since his bursars office had no minimum amount for credit card usage.

he probably wrecked it for his school accepting cards going forward though, as they probably had a 30c fee from their acceptance vendor for each transaction....