Citi Rewards+ (replaced Citi Preferred)

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Get 10% Points Back for the first 100,000 ThankYou® Points you redeem per year. That means if you redeem 15,000 points, you get 1,500 back. It’s that simple.
The cap means that the maximum rebate is 10,000/year.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:36 pm
Suspended

So I was approved for the Premier card in December. I'm close to earning the bonus for the spend but haven't hit it yet. I just applied and was approved for the Rewards+ card under the 15,000 points bonus offer.

Per the terms, since I haven't closed any Thank You family card in the last 24 months and haven't received a bonus in the last 24 months (the Premier card bonus hasn't been reached yet), I should qualify. I might be splitting hairs there but that's my interpretation. I had to call recon to get approved and confirmed the offer was attached to the application.

I'll make sure to hit the bonus on the Premier before I begin using the Rewards+ card in case there is any funny business. Either way, it's only a $1,000 spend requirement, which I'd do anyway on the card, so worth a shot to see if I get the bonus.

Last edited by kapooncha; Jan 10, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kapooncha
So I was approved for the Premier card in December. I'm close to earning the bonus for the spend but haven't hit it yet. I just applied and was approved for the Rewards+ card under the 15,000 points bonus offer.

Per the terms, since I haven't closed any Thank You family card in the last 24 months and haven't received a bonus in the last 24 months (the Premier card bonus hasn't been reached yet), I should qualify. I might be splitting hairs there but that's my interpretation. I had to call recon to get approved and confirmed the offer was attached to the application.

I'll make sure to hit the bonus on the Premier before I begin using the Rewards+ card in case there is any funny business. Either way, it's only a $1,000 spend requirement, which I'd do anyway on the card, so worth a shot to see if I get the bonus.
Interesting strategy. I am curious if this will work. While as of today you have not received a bonus in the last 24 months, you will have gotten a bonus for the Premier before you get the bonus of the Rewards+. So per the language "Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi ...Premier ... in the past 24 months", one could make the argument that you would no longer be eligible after the Premier bonus posts. But hey, its worth a shot!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
Interesting strategy. I am curious if this will work. While as of today you have not received a bonus in the last 24 months, you will have gotten a bonus for the Premier before you get the bonus of the Rewards+. So per the language "Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi ...Premier ... in the past 24 months", one could make the argument that you would no longer be eligible after the Premier bonus posts. But hey, its worth a shot!
You definitely raise a valid point. But then the terms are changing right? It should be based at the time of the application. And as of when the application was approved, I met the terms. Of course, all of this is only in the situation where I have to argue my case. Though I also made sure to confirm the offer was attached to my card with the agent after being approved, made a note of the time of phone call, etc.

My main question is how automated this entire process is. Since I met the terms, the 15,000 point offer should be firmly attached to my Rewards+ card. Is the process smart enough to know that I'm working towards a bonus on the Premier card? I kind of doubt it but it's an interesting case. I'll report my success or lack thereof in the future.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: *A
I just downgraded from Prestige to Rewards +, so it can be done. Perfect timing with my Prestige statement closing and getting the airline credit.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sds1493
I just downgraded from Prestige to Rewards +, so it can be done. Perfect timing with my Prestige statement closing and getting the airline credit.
Does that reset the 24 month clock before you get another Thank You card welcome bonus?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Splitting hairs, yes, but you raise a good point.

I bet Citi changes the terms to include approved cards as well.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: *A
Does that reset the 24 month clock before you get another Thank You card welcome bonus?
I received a new number, so I assume so. Not too fussed since I recently got Premier (which although I didn't need it was a targeted offer without 24 month language).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:33 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Looking for data points!

Do you get the 15K Bonus Points after spending $1,000 on a product change from Premier?

Thank you!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Looking for data points!

Do you get the 15K Bonus Points after spending $1,000 on a product change from Premier?

Thank you!
I can't imagine why you would.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Last August I converted my Prestige to a Preferred, which changed the number; since the 24mo clock was reset I closed the Premier.
I just received an email offering to change my Preferred to "the new Citi Rewards+ Card". They said the number would not change.
I already have a 3x grocery card, so this is not appealing unless I feel like spending time on the $1 purchase gaming.
Since I'll be past the 24 months this fall, I'd just as soon wait to get the Rewards+ until then, for the bonus, anyway.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
I received this offer of converting my preferred to Rewards+ , I spent on insurance for 5x offer currently targeted, should i wait for the points to post or can i push the button for converting this card?
I get couple of coffee/snacks everyday so works better than preferred for me.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
I received this offer of converting my preferred to Rewards+ , I spent on insurance for 5x offer currently targeted, should i wait for the points to post or can i push the button for converting this card?
I get couple of coffee/snacks everyday so works better than preferred for me.
I would wait for the points to post. If you read the T&Cs of the 5x offer, it probably says something like you have to have "this card" still open to get the points, or something of that nature. I would worry about how they would interpret "this card" for the purposes of the promo.
rocky_nnc likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:42 am

So what is the strategy with this card? I would assume small purchases. I am not good at math but what are the sweet spots?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by geoff325
So what is the strategy with this card? I would assume small purchases. I am not good at math but what are the sweet spots?
Amazon $.50 gift card reloads

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.