Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Rewards+ (replaced Citi Preferred)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Citi Rewards+ (replaced Citi Preferred)

Citi Launching Rewards+ Credit Card on January 10th: Minimum 10 Points/trx, 15,000 Signup Bonus, 10,000 Redemption Points, No Annual Fee (DoC)

Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
Amazon Dash button for $1 Amazon gift cards, anyone?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Prestige, Premier, Plus, Preferred. Too bad they couldn't think of a more distinctive name.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Is it guaranteed that this card's sign-up bonus will count against the 24 month TY rule? Maybe it will be like the AA mile-up card that had its own rules?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:23 am
mia

Originally Posted by kapooncha
....guaranteed that this card's sign-up bonus will count against the 24 month TY rule?....
No way to know until we see Prestige and Premier offer terms after Plus is officially launched.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by ejg930
Amazon Dash button for $1 Amazon gift cards, anyone?
Yeah, let's go ahead and abuse it to death so Citi changes the T&C's. Great idea.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Yeah, let's go ahead and abuse it to death so Citi changes the T&C's. Great idea.
Game theory. People are going to abuse it to "death," whether you approve or not. So the question is do you want to get yours while the getting is good or rest on your laurels and be left out?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Game theory. People are going to abuse it to "death," whether you approve or not. So the question is do you want to get yours while the getting is good or rest on your laurels and be left out?
I wouldn't be surprised to see the major card issuers scale back rewards significantly by the end of the year. In fact, it's already been rumored:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/03/bankwirestory.html
https://kdvr.com/2019/01/02/the-gold...ting-its-peak/
https://qz.com/1514489/credit-card-r...ks-scale-back/

Issuers will start to realize their credit card portfolio will be better off without giving out "4x on travel" and "3x on dining" to customers. I think if we want to see what credit cards will look like in the future, the Key2More Rewards MasterCard is a great example:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/keyba...-5-everywhere/

Minus the inflated rewards program of course (5x equals to 1 cpp). The more you spend per month on the card, the higher the cash back rewards are, but only up to what's equal to a mediocre 1.5% cash back.

With that said, I don't think the Citi Rewards + card will last in it's current state... Citi will end up placing a cap on the rewards, such as "maximum of 50 rounded up points per day."
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:17 pm
Suspended

With that said, I don't think the Citi Rewards + card will last in it's current state... Citi will end up placing a cap on the rewards, such as "maximum of 50 rounded up points per day."
Then you should get yours as much as you can while you can.

As for whether issuers cut back on rewards, perhaps. My current strategy is points/miles cards for sign-up bonuses, then sock drawer them. All normal expenditures go on my cash back card.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:31 pm
mia

... already been rumored:

There isn't an independent consensus. All three of those pieces are based on the same Wall Street Journal article, which is discussed in this thread:

Rewards Credit Cards Gained Fanatic Following Now Banks Are Pulling Back- WSJ article
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
There isn't an independent consensus. All three of those pieces are based on the same Wall Street Journal article, which is discussed in this thread:

Rewards Credit Cards Gained Fanatic Following Now Banks Are Pulling Back- WSJ article
I mean, rewards probably will eventually decrease since there will likely be pressure on the networks to lower interchange, but 2019 might be a bit soon for that. Not to mention that without government intervention, I doubt we'll ever see reductions down to EU levels.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:59 pm

Is the Rewards+ the same design as Prestige?

The new Rewards+ design looks very similar to prestige (color wise). Is Citit going to redesign the prestige card or have it look just like the new Rewards+ card?

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
mia

I think the family resemblance is intentional. Citi Premier also has a similar design.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:09 pm

But the Citi premier is different color (grey). Understand if the design is same just surprised if the color is the same.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
I wonder what exactly they mean by a 10% rebate on redemption's.

Would that be similar to the AA Plat card? or the old IHG card?

If uncapped, that could actually be a pretty nice force multiplier for someone using TYP constantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.