Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Secure messaging is no longer available via:
Services
  • Credit Card Services /
    • Request a Credit Limit Increase /
      • Request Your Card Agreement (at left)
However, it may be available via (but as of late May 2019 this method, too, seems to be not working):
Print Wikipost

Citi Secure Message - now read only?

Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Account closed successfully within 1 day after I left a SM request.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: many
Yesterday the TOKEN= workaround was working fine for me in ff (but not chrome). Today I could not get SM send messenging to populate with any browser I was trying. I used chat today successfully for my request. Hopefully the workaround continues to be successful in the future.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
Interestingly, I closed SO's AA card this morning and was able to do it via online chat..unlike me.
Originally Posted by NTP9766
I have tried repeatedly to close cards via chat, but am always told that I have to call. Pass your luck onto me, please.
I asked why they would not close my acct while they had closed other people's. She said "Your account has offers associated with it". Makes no sense, and Citi agents make stuff up, but it's possible that some accounts are flagged as 'must try to retain' or something like that.

Why the accounts of churners would be so flagged is not clear.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I asked why they would not close my acct while they had closed other people's. She said "Your account has offers associated with it". Makes no sense, and Citi agents make stuff up, but it's possible that some accounts are flagged as 'must try to retain' or something like that.
That makes sense. It's possible that if you have retention offers they won't close it until you talk to a retention rep. With no offers, it's possible that anyone can close it. (I'm not saying that this is true, just that it is possible, and seems to be what the rep implied)

Call and see what the offers are There is a whole thread about retention offers...
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Ugh, I have the worst luck. I tried the wording that someone posted here to use in chat to request the additional 15K miles to my account for my new card. They said they couldn't help me (I had asked them to forward the request to the correct department) and instead gave me a phone number to call. That number is the same one they gave me when I had to call in to close my last card.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Ugh, I have the worst luck. I tried the wording that someone posted here to use in chat to request the additional 15K miles to my account for my new card. They said they couldn't help me (I had asked them to forward the request to the correct department) and instead gave me a phone number to call. That number is the same one they gave me when I had to call in to close my last card.
Let us know how it goes when you call in to match :-)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:56 am

After 12 days, I still hadn’t received any confirmation of the bonus match (mail or email), so I chatted with Citi again. The CSR checked my account and copied/pasted the text confirming the 15k match approval, then gave me an extra 1k out of the blue for good measure.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766
After 12 days, I still hadn’t received any confirmation of the bonus match (mail or email), so I chatted with Citi again. The CSR checked my account and copied/pasted the text confirming the 15k match approval, then gave me an extra 1k out of the blue for good measure.
I used the SM workaround twice on 12/11 then 12/15. Missed several phone calls from them then got a letter yesterday informing me I would get the additional 15K.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Robl
I used the SM workaround twice on 12/11 then 12/15. Missed several phone calls from them then got a letter yesterday informing me I would get the additional 15K.
The SM workaround doesn’t work for me in any browser. I’m always redirected to a login page, rinse, repeat.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:13 pm

Secure Message is back?

DoC is reporting that Citi Secure Message function might be back but I just logged in and can confirm I do not see it (as well as many of commentators on DoC.... oh well....link: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-...cure-messages/

update: Edited for when I logged on to actually confirm for myself

Last edited by SLINKYTRAVEL; Dec 25, 2018 at 3:57 pm Reason: Updating my attempt at logging for in
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL
DoC is reporting that Citi Secure Message function is back as of today.... link: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-...cure-messages/ I haven’t tried it yet but will tomorrow. Merry Christmas
It looks like you can read, but not send, messages.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

still worked as yesterday. requested to close an account via the workaround to reach the SM function. Account shows "closed" this morning.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:07 am

SM currently available via Credit Card Services / Credit Line increase / Request card agreement.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:49 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
SM currently available via Credit Card Services / Credit Line increase / Request card agreement.
Genius. I don't know how you managed to find your way to that link but thank you for sharing.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Red face

Post the same info on Dec 14 Post 42, and confirmed it was working Post 44, in this very thread. I basically poked around after the initial way died. It has not been dead, but is under disguise!

See the bottom of Post 42. Note - there is also Request Card Agreement from the Customer Service drop down menu - that would NOT lead you to the SM but pull up an online email form for the purpose.
You must go thru the cumbersome way thru the side bar of the Request Credit Increase. It is at the same location as the previous "Email Customer Service" which was replaced by the "Request Customer Agreement" but the underlying redirection has not been changed, yet.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30532133-post42.html

Also Ed Janowsky gave a precise steps on Dec 18 Post 50.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30548070-post50.html

I thought everyone has known about this twist happened 2 weeks ago...

Last edited by Happy; Dec 27, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.