Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: cnb reward for travel/gas/restaurant/grocery
aunnul fee 350 still want to close

Originally Posted by Etp
Did anybody who had a $350 AF but was not CitiGold, get charged $495 AF at renewal?
Originally Posted by roundtree
Mine showed up on the first billing statement.

I have the annul fee just posted. still 350, I am not citi gold. however, I still lean to close the account because really the duplicate categories. currently I am using CNB which is providing almost x4 on travel, gas, restaurant and supermarket. I am trying to minimize the active cards in wallet so make life easier, there is really not much point to spend time and energy maintaining so many cards. If there is a big perk like purchase protection or travel protection service way better than other banks and easier to deal with those reps I am willing to keep the card but so far I dont see that in this card...
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by thomasmessi
I have the annul fee just posted. still 350, I am not citi gold. however, I still lean to close the account because really the duplicate categories. currently I am using CNB which is providing almost x4 on travel, gas, restaurant and supermarket. I am trying to minimize the active cards in wallet so make life easier, there is really not much point to spend time and energy maintaining so many cards. If there is a big perk like purchase protection or travel protection service way better than other banks and easier to deal with those reps I am willing to keep the card but so far I dont see that in this card...
The benefits of the Citi Prestige have undoubtedly been watered down. One potentially decent new benefit effective 5/1/2019 is cell phone protection, if one pays for the monthly mobile phone bill with the Prestige card. I cannot comment on claims experience for this new benefit.

Info here: https://information.citi.com/prestige/intro

In order to find value with the Prestige card, make sure that you're on board with the Prestige ThankYou point redemption options (not all ThankYou points are created equal) going forward. Personally, I have the Citi Premier card, but am not enthused by the recently announced changes for the Prestige card.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
the cell phone coverage - while nice - isn't a very differentiated benefit. a lot of cards offer that.

plus i think the customer base that can carry $500 cards ought to be able to handle the hit from breaking/losing a phone.

i think the benefit is likely to be an expensive one.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:23 am

Really interesting datapoint.

I just noticed a few “Travel Credits” on my past 3 statements 1/24, 2/26, 3/26. I am able to correspond these charges to “travel purchases” in those statements. What’s interesting though is that on 12/31, I made an airline purchase for $800 and received the $250 “Congrats! Citi air travel credit” on 1/24 statement as well. Citi resets its airline credit after the December statement, but it looks like after Citi refreshed its travel credit to include all travel in early January, they didn’t count the air travel purchased in late December. So looks like I’ll be able to double dip the $250 credit this year.
yugi, akr1970akr and jamesinclair like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Really interesting datapoint.

I just noticed a few “Travel Credits” on my past 3 statements 1/24, 2/26, 3/26. I am able to correspond these charges to “travel purchases” in those statements. What’s interesting though is that on 12/31, I made an airline purchase for $800 and received the $250 “Congrats! Citi air travel credit” on 1/24 statement as well. Citi resets its airline credit after the December statement, but it looks like after Citi refreshed its travel credit to include all travel in early January, they didn’t count the air travel purchased in late December. So looks like I’ll be able to double dip the $250 credit this year.
Same for me.

Shhhhhhhh
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by conde
The benefits of the Citi Prestige have undoubtedly been watered down. One potentially decent new benefit effective 5/1/2019 is cell phone protection, if one pays for the monthly mobile phone bill with the Prestige card. I cannot comment on claims experience for this new benefit.

Info here: https://information.citi.com/prestige/intro

In order to find value with the Prestige card, make sure that you're on board with the Prestige ThankYou point redemption options (not all ThankYou points are created equal) going forward. Personally, I have the Citi Premier card, but am not enthused by the recently announced changes for the Prestige card.
On the contrary, I think, Prestige became the king of premium credit cards, surpassing CSR and Altitude Reserve. And the Citi "quadfecta" now looks pretty good: Prestige, Premier, AT&T Access More and Rewards+. Add Sears card to the mix, and you're getting a load of points.
akr1970akr likes this.

Last edited by mia; Apr 9, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by yugi
On the contrary, I think, Prestige became the king of premium credit cards, surpassing CSR and Altitude Reserve. And the Citi "quadfecta" now looks pretty good: Prestige, Premier, AT&T Access More and Rewards+. Add Sears card to the mix, and you're getting a load of points.
This is my take as well, but the problem with the Citi setup is a lack of "stability." You never know when the Sears card will offer bonuses (or how much longer it will be around), Access More also seems to be unattainable now. But Rewards+ certainly added good value to the mix with the rounding up for small purchases and 10% rebate.

Last edited by mia; Apr 9, 2019 at 7:29 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
This is my take as well, but the problem with the Citi setup is a lack of "stability." You never know when the Sears card will offer bonuses (or how much longer it will be around), Access More also seems to be unattainable now. But Rewards+ certainly added good value to the mix with the rounding up for small purchases and 10% rebate.
Additionally for the person who can/will arrange their banking through Citi, there can be some TYP picked up that way too. Just make sure you are not overpaying for those services (or not getting a fair interest rate).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:37 pm

I have all those cards except the ATT Access More. I have the base Access card and from what I’ve read, I can upgrade it. But I don’t do enough online purchases to make it worth $95. Plastiq would’ve been nice, but that’s no more.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:55 pm

Prestige, Premier, Att Access More (or Att Access if you don't have a lot of online purchases), and Rewards+ is a good package. Adding the no annual fee Sears Card and the CitiBusiness Thank You Card would complete the Citi collection and maximize your Thank You point efficiency.

That being said, for me, the ideal card portfolio combines the Citi Prestige, Chase Ink Preferred, and Amex BusinessPlus cards. This combo has the same annual fee as the Prestige/Premier, but gives you access to Thank You Rewards, Ultimate Rewards, and Membership Rewards for the same price. You can add the no annual fee Ink Cash and Chase Freedom cards for additional 5x category buckets.

My portfolio: Prestige/Att Access/Rewards+/Sears/CitiBusiness/Ink Preferred/Ink Cash/Freedom/Amex Business Plus. My Prestige is still grandfathered at $350, Ink Preferred is $95, so this portfolio costs me $445 to have access to the big three loyalty programs, a diverse range of 5x/3x categories, the occasional Sears 10x, and a minimum earn at 2x.

Last edited by KIcarus; Apr 10, 2019 at 10:22 pm Reason: grammar
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:12 am

Good observations Kicarus.

I would note

I have not seen any data points of recent conversions from ATTA to ATTAM. At one point there was a back door way in, but I think it was closed sometime last summer. Happy to be wrong about that if anyone can point out a conversion. I was going to try after my card got seasoned long enough, but am assuming it's closed. And still not even sure if would be worth it, given that ATTAM has been limited in some of its earnings (Plastiq / Mortgages etc).

Citi TYP Biz Card doesn't usually have much marketing behind it - sometimes one might find a flyer in the branch - but there are old data points of people switching Citi AA Biz cards over to that, which can make sense since the AA Biz has a fee, and the TYP Biz doesn't. So get the SUB for AA Biz, and then conv over to TYP Biz for the cat bonuses. EDIT: It appears that channel might be dead now though. However those catergories may be duplicative for someone with the full panoply like the poster above. And some of the ones that are not may not be obvious that your vendors will code up correctly on them (software merchants etc.)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by thomasmessi
How is CNB providing you 4x, I know that it's 3x, and the points are non-transferrable.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

I have all those cards except the ATT Access More. I have the base Access card and from what I’ve read, I can upgrade it. But I don’t do enough online purchases to make it worth $95. Plastiq would’ve been nice, but that’s no more.
You can reach $10k spend per year by buying gift cards from staples.com and get 4x.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by KIcarus
Prestige, Premier, Att Access More (or Att Access if you don't have a lot of online purchases), and Rewards+ is a good package. Adding the no annual fee Sears Card and the CitiBusiness Thank You Card would complete the Citi collection and maximize your Thank You point efficiency.

That being said, for me, the ideal card portfolio combines the Citi Prestige, Chase Ink Preferred, and Amex BusinessPlus cards. This combo has the same annual fee as the Prestige/Premier, but gives you access to Thank You Rewards, Ultimate Rewards, and Membership Rewards for the same price. You can add the no annual fee Ink Cash and Chase Freedom cards for additional 5x category buckets.

My portfolio: Prestige/Att Access/Rewards+/Sears/CitiBusiness/Ink Preferred/Ink Cash/Freedom/Amex Business Plus. My Prestige is still grandfathered at $350, Ink Preferred is $95, so this portfolio costs me $445 to have access to the big three loyalty programs, a diverse range of 5x/3x categories, the occasional Sears 10x, and a minimum earn at 2x.
You're missing Altitude Reserve. How is CitiBusiness TY card? Any useful? I'm planning to apply.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: cnb reward for travel/gas/restaurant/grocery
You can reach $10k spend per year by buying gift cards from staples.com and get 4x.
each point is equal to 1.3 based on the best use case which is buying air tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.