Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1

I will test this as this is how I book my work trips and monthly vacations.
355F1 - Any update on your 2020 bookings through Aspire?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Post September you can use it twice before the end of the year in 2019.

There are no limits on using it prior to Sep.

Basically treat it like separate time periods.

==========

Unless they jazz up benefits, I think they'll get a lot of cancellations come next Jan.

Especially among people who have $350 Prestiges that are likely candidates for $350 Schwab Plats. (discount for AUM)

I can't see how Prestige really is better than that, head to head, unless one really attributes a lot of value to the ancillary benefits (trip delay/interrupt, roadside, pricerewind, MC network vs Amex, etc.)
Which card is better than Prestige right now? I'm getting tons of points on restaurants right now. Planning to cancel both Platinums (personal and biz), and keep the Prestige.
roundtree likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by yugi
Which card is better than Prestige right now? I'm getting tons of points on restaurants right now. Planning to cancel both Platinums (personal and biz), and keep the Prestige.
I guess it depends on how you value the pts, where you are based, and what other bennies you might extract.

Prestige 5x on restaurants is nice, but relative to the 3x I get from others the relative advantage isn't as much.

Plat which gives some hotel status, and access to Centurions and Sky Clubs, could be quite helpful.

To me that is a big gap in Prestige, especially if 4NF is already getting eroded, well before stated demise.

And not being primary for US rental cars is also a bit weak.

I've been a fan of Prestige since launch. so I'm not a ha8erboi on them
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:44 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by worldfreqtrav
355F1 - Any update on your 2020 bookings through Aspire?
MY latest reservations are only up until Nov 2019 as of right now.

I am a daily user of this site and will definitely post everything! ^
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I guess it depends on how you value the pts, where you are based, and what other bennies you might extract.

Prestige 5x on restaurants is nice, but relative to the 3x I get from others the relative advantage isn't as much.
Point valuations certainly vary widely. For me, I'm focused on transfers to partners almost exclusively for biz class TATL/TPAC flights. Citi's list of partners isn't as good, IMO, as Chase or AMEX, but it's certainly good enough that little of my redemption plans would change. Iberia is the one partner that I could use with Citi that the other two already have, but I digress.

The relative advantage depends on a number of factors. I certainly spend enough on restaurants that the 67% bonus adds up really quickly. At least in raw terms, moving from 3x to 5x is every bit as useful as moving from 1x to 3x.

Plat which gives some hotel status, and access to Centurions and Sky Clubs, could be quite helpful.

To me that is a big gap in Prestige, especially if 4NF is already getting eroded, well before stated demise.
Given the hotel statuses available via other cards with a low annual fee, the status advantage isn't very high. It certainly highlights the complexity of judging what's a good strategy with all the various costs that need to be tracked. The extra $40/year that I'll spend with Prestige + Marriott cards is more than compensated with the free night cert that Marriott provides. Others I'm sure have differing opinions on this.

The club accessses aren't as valuable as they once were, with the overcrowding and new restrictions. I'm fully prepared to live without them once my Personal/Business Plat AFs come up in Sept.

And not being primary for US rental cars is also a bit weak.

I've been a fan of Prestige since launch. so I'm not a ha8erboi on them
^ this. It's a reason I'll be downgrading my CSR to the CSP later this year instead of closing it. It's definitly one area that Citi lags and most of us don't pay attention to it with any card issuer. Of course, insurance isn't sexy to talk about when there 5x and 4NF and other cooler benefits.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
My feel is that its 'cheap' to keep the Prestige around (if one is CG) but I'll only put spend on it where I really think it will get a benefit - hotel/4NF, tickets for events (for missed event coverage), or risky (weather) flights where I think I might need the delay/interrupt insurance. all the juicy non bonused spend (from the issuers perspective) isn't going to Prestige. they've just shredded too much here to be fond of them. and if they blow up a 4NF credit i've been waiting for since Nov, i'll probably want to start gaming them harder with P1/P2 rotating SUB's. Right now we don't do that, since they are our main long term hub bank.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve just had two prestige card replacements (same number) where the chips don’t work in store. Anyone else getting same problem?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:25 am

My feel is that its 'cheap' to keep the Prestige around (if one is CG) but I'll only put spend on it where I really think it will get a benefit - hotel/4NF, tickets for events (for missed event coverage), or risky (weather) flights where I think I might need the delay/interrupt insurance. all the juicy non bonused spend (from the issuers perspective) isn't going to Prestige. they've just shredded too much here to be fond of them. and if they blow up a 4NF credit i've been waiting for since Nov, i'll probably want to start gaming them harder with P1/P2 rotating SUB's. Right now we don't do that, since they are our main long term hub bank.
I've had the Prestige card for a number of years, and will be putting mine out to pasture next month when it renews. There have been far too many downgrades to the card over the years, and the hits keep coming. Yes, I can create value out of the 4NF benefit twice a year, but other than that, I have other cards that afford me greater value with travel and everyday spending. While it hasn't become a horrible card, IMO, I see no reason to keep in when it duplicates many of the benefits I have with another premium card.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:36 am

Should be activating my prestige today. How long until the AF posts? Want to be sure I’m billed the $350 (I’m CG)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:19 am
Etp

Did anybody who had a $350 AF but was not CitiGold, get charged $495 AF at renewal?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Should be activating my prestige today. How long until the AF posts? Want to be sure I’m billed the $350 (I’m CG)
Mine showed up on the first billing statement.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, I'm about to walk on the Prestige card. There have been too many small downgrades over the years - losing Admiral's Clubs, losing preferential redemption rates on AA, worse 4NF terms, limits to 4NF, etc. I have both of the premium hotel cards (Marriott and Hilton) that give me benefits can justify their high annual fees and duplicate many of the Prestige benefits, so I don't see the need for another $500 af card.

To those who have phoned into downgrade: did they attempt to keep you with a fee waiver or anything else remotely approaching $500 in value? If you downgraded, what did you downgrade to? Just some random TYP card?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
....what did you downgrade to? ....
I downgraded to Premier to preserve outsized credit line without a foreign transaction fee.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
did they attempt to keep you with a fee waiver or anything else remotely approaching $500 in value?
Downgrade if you want, but just hear me out here, what if they offered $250 in travel credits, 5x on dining and airfare, plus two 4th night free certificates (taxes and fees not included) when you book through the TYP portal?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:16 pm

Long-term Prestige holder, but since Priority clients no longer receive the discounted AF, pondering what to downgrade to. Citi Rewards Plus, maybe? Sounds like I'd at least get 10% extra on the banking TYPs. The (soon-to-be-gone) 25% bonus redeeming those was a nice perk, but that's not worth paying $95 for on its own.

Originally Posted by joachimm
Downgrade if you want, but just hear me out here, what if they offered $250 in travel credits, 5x on dining and airfare, plus two 4th night free certificates (taxes and fees not included) when you book through the TYP portal?
Those bookings no longer receive points, are not eligible for elite benefits, and you can no longer use any special rates. Kind of wipes out the benefits for most chain hotels, and the majority of those benefits can be had for a lower AF.

At least with Citi and Chase, there are plenty of opportunities for category shifting. E.g., going to the movies? Get a gift card for said theater from a grocer/drug store/office supply store/.etc. There are no such opportunities for generating tons of Citi TYP from such purchases unless I'm missing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.