Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Citigold can be had rather cheaply, if you have otherwise dormant rollover IRA assets sitting anywhere else. Open up a Citi Private Wealth Management account, and then set it up for self directed IRA + brokerage, and then roll in some cheap ETFs, or other financial holdings you might have at other places. I realize not everyone has IRA assets early in their careers, but this may be doable for some. This way there is no fee on the asset management, very low fees at the underlying investment, and account fees are waived for CG status (which this account creates). I am acutely sensitive to ongoing fee streams, and pay them very little for all this. (But to be fair, they also get fees off my mortgage, which accrues very little benefit to me, other than a small sliver of TYP. That mortgage frustratingly counts zippo toward CG status)
Wait, Citi offers a discount online brokerage where you can manage a self-directed IRA? I tried to look into options in this area and didn't find such an offering. What can you do in this account (say an IRA)? Can you buy/sell individual stocks and/or options? Or is it a mutual-fund only or ETF-only type of product?

Last edited by mia; Dec 10, 2018 at 2:26 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Wait, Citi offers a discount online brokerage where you can manage a self-directed IRA? I tried to look into options in this area and didn't find such an offering. What can you do in this account (say an IRA)? Can you buy/sell individual stocks and/or options? Or is it a mutual-fund only or ETF-only type of product?
You can open the account with the National CPWM number. I can't remember if they're in Long Island City or San Antonio. It's an 800 number on their site. They don't go out of their way to advertise it or market it, but its operational. Of course their preference is that you get a fee collecting financial adviser.

Generally you can do the usual gamut of stocks, ETFs, etc. Mutual Funds are more limited. Generally only has load ones, and I didn't find any Vanguard ones. But you can own Vanguard ETFs. Service isn't really awesome, so I wouldn't try to do anything complicated in this account. The backbone that Citi runs the self directed part off is from Pershing/Bank of New York.

The main point of the account (I think) would be just to get Gold status. Do your real investing in better / lower cost / more flexible platforms.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Any hints to as long as the charges are within the statement that cuts after 1/4, that the new 5x bonuses will apply? Even if the charges posted before 1/4. I ask because Citi IT.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

You can open the account with the National CPWM number. I can't remember if they're in Long Island City or San Antonio. It's an 800 number on their site. They don't go out of their way to advertise it or market it, but its operational. Of course their preference is that you get a fee collecting financial adviser.

Generally you can do the usual gamut of stocks, ETFs, etc. Mutual Funds are more limited. Generally only has load ones, and I didn't find any Vanguard ones. But you can own Vanguard ETFs. Service isn't really awesome, so I wouldn't try to do anything complicated in this account. The backbone that Citi runs the self directed part off is from Pershing/Bank of New York.

The main point of the account (I think) would be just to get Gold status. Do your real investing in better / lower cost / more flexible platforms.

Sounds like it will be no better than You Invest, and probably a lot worse. You Invest itself I took a hard pass on - was much hopeful they'd deploy a fully fleshed out product. But no options, and certainly no OTC stocks - both are things I regularly use in all my non-401 accounts. Without those, I probably won't bother. At least, the Chase adviser said they might expand product offerings to include options later next year. Wait and see.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:02 am

To clarify - you're able to purchase Vanguard ETFs, or just hold existing rolled over ones?

Is there an advantage now to having Gold over Priority, aside from the discounted AF on the Prestige?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:36 pm

Yes you can buy Vanguard ETFs.

There are some unstated Gold benefits - free safe deposit boxes, free signature medallions gtys, Culture Pass, more ATM withdrawals fee free etc.

We are also grandfathered into one card fee free as well.

Mortgages have been cheap and mostly quick to get too (we've had 3 though Citi)

I've had it so long I have forgotten how crummy regular US banking can be.

There are constant low level technology/web site issues though.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by sudden729
Maybe we can crowdsource a list of eligible OTAs... I've gotten 3X points on Expedia and Orbitz (I actually did the math on my statement to confirm) for hotel bookings
I just booked a hotel through the TYP portal (using TYP and $) and got 3x on the dollars spent.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Restaurant Uses Square for Payment

There’s a restaurant I frequent that uses Square as their payment provider for CC. I have heard Amex has problems coding square with restaurants and getting the restaurant bonus.

I have the Citi Prestige which will earn 5x at restaurants in the new year. Does the fact that the restaurant uses Square won’t give me my 5x points?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
There’s a restaurant I frequent that uses Square as their payment provider for CC. I have heard Amex has problems coding square with restaurants and getting the restaurant bonus.

I have the Citi Prestige which will earn 5x at restaurants in the new year. Does the fact that the restaurant uses Square won’t give me my 5x points?
How would you expect folks to know this since the Prestige benefit hasn't gone in effect yet?

I don't think anyone here can authoritatively answer your question, but I can say that I use my CSR at establishments which use Square (and Toast) all the time and they code correctly and award 3X points just fine. So this seems more an Amex problem than a general problem. But, since by definition, we don't have any Prestige data points yet it's hard to know what will happen...

Regards
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This is easy to test. Prestige already award 2X points for dining. If it works correctly now it should still work correctly when the bonus increases.
dw and jeepie like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
This is easy to test. Prestige already award 2X points for dining. If it works correctly now it should still work correctly when the bonus increases.
Good point, my mistake. Since the Prestige only earns 2X for dining I literally would never have thought to use it for dining

Regards
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Good point, my mistake. Since the Prestige only earns 2X for dining I literally would never have thought to use it for dining

Regards
Sorry I missed reading when dining points go from 2x into 5x. January 4th?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
....January 4th?
Correct: https://information.citi.com/prestige/intro
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Are the trip delay/cancellation benefits on the Citi/ChaseSR essentially the same now? I think I read that the Citi went up from 3hrs to 6. Not talking about the primary car rental protection, I know thats better on the chase.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
Are the trip delay/cancellation benefits on the Citi/ChaseSR essentially the same now? I think I read that the Citi went up from 3hrs to 6. Not talking about the primary car rental protection, I know thats better on the chase.
The citi one is worse I feel. because it only cover the FIRST leg of the trip. So if you have to make a connection, you're out of luck for the 2nd (or further) legs.
cuthroat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.