Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by TTT103

The challenge that I have with the Prestige card, as well as most other domestic card issuers, is the lack of chip plus pin. It is a killer at unmanned parking garages and gas stations in Europe. I keep paying for a Barclays card just for this reason.
I paid with Samsung Pay in parking garages with no issues using CSR.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
...Chase portal gives a 33% discount on everything .....
Only if you pay with points, and only if you buy into the arbitrary assumption that points have a base value of $0.01 each. However, if the points are worth $0.015 when redeemed for airfare I don't see any meaningful sense in which this is a "discount" when used for a hotel stay.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by kesco
Has anyone had any good luck in booking WITH the ThankYou service center @ 1-800-THANK-YOU? e.g. is the availability EXACTLY the same as online, and you get no hotel status benefits to boot? Just curious if the phone is the same as online.
I tried, it's exactly the same. They couldn't find any special rates like on hotel website, but their rates were pretty close, like withing $10 per night. When hotel was offering $238 on a special rate, they were offering $249.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I paid with Samsung Pay in parking garages with no issues using CSR.
Good to know. I'll need to try that next month when I'm back in Europe.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by Super Mario
If I was a betting man, it was probably not Citi's intent to offer 4NF on rock-bottom rates through concierge. It was likely a loophole that the internet took advantage of again, so I get that. However, that with the 4NF cap is another big change to the product. I'm sure the average person doesn't use it more than twice, but I would be a bit agitated if this is what I wanted it for.
I don't think it was the rates being booked per se that killed this, but the frequency it was used by the traveling professional - consultants, auditors, accountants etc.

Clearly that language about this not being intended for biz use going forward is a way to limit this for the next 10 months, when that kind of customer can still put a world of hurt on Citi.

My assumption is that Citi loses on net 10% of the total booking cost of all those stays. Sure they get a few cases where someone books a longer stay, or maybe crazily books a shorter one and gets nothing, just because they like a full service travel agent who can get them Virtuoso, or Prive perks or what not. And they get the commissions on those to offset the 25% loss on room rate.

But a big diff between losing 10% on 2 stays of 4 nights at $200 per night ($160 overall) vs. the guy with 10+ stays in that same time frame (until Sep 2019), traveling a week each month. Other than moral suasion though I'm not sure how they really push back against biz bookings. Just saying 'no' to corp rates may not be enough. Some firms allow their staff to use the corp rates for hotels/cars on personal time, so that's not a good enough filter (I think) if Cits intent is to stop the reimbursed biz traveler from cleaning them out.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by worldfreqtrav
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm interpreting this as saying that we can make bookings through August 2020 as most hotels allow bookings to be made for at least a year out. So basically, as long as we have made a booking through Aspire prior to 9/1/19 we should still receive the 4NF without any use cap. As long as we know our schedules, we'd be able to make bookings a year out and if we didn't need the booking then we could cancel?

Anyone else reading it the same way I am?
the most straight forward reading of the terms is that the limit of 2 per year:

does not apply to 2019 stays, as long as the reservation is made prior to Sept 1 2019
does apply to 2020 stays, regardless of booking date

but, I do think you are on to something in that I expect in practice Citi to implement the 2 per year rule via the thankyou.com portal only.
as such, I will be sure to plan & book before Sept 1 2019 all my stays at Hyatt through end of Sept 2020 (Hyatt allows 13 months in advance bookings).
that timing work well for me as my 2020 Prestige annual fee becomes non-refundable mid Nov 2020.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
the most straight forward reading of the terms is that the limit of 2 per year:

does not apply to 2019 stays, as long as the reservation is made prior to Sept 1 2019
does apply to 2020 stays, regardless of booking date

but, I do think you are on to something in that I expect in practice Citi to implement the 2 per year rule via the thankyou.com portal only.
as such, I will be sure to plan & book before Sept 1 2019 all my stays at Hyatt through end of Sept 2020 (Hyatt allows 13 months in advance bookings).
that timing work well for me as my 2020 Prestige annual fee becomes non-refundable mid Nov 2020.
thankyou.com portal discount is at they time of the booking, so it will surely follow the dates of the booking, not when the actual stays are.

Concierge, since they won't do new bookings after Sept. 2019, is moot under the new limit.

Now in terms of concierge booking affecting future thankyou.com bookings, it may, but my guess is, it won't.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer

Concierge, since they won't do new bookings after Sept. 2019, is moot under the new limit.

Why is it moot? What if I book 6 stays in 2020 via the concierge prior to 9/19?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
Why is it moot? What if I book 6 stays in 2020 via the concierge prior to 9/19?
my guess is it should be fine.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer

my guess is it should be fine.

I will test this as this is how I book my work trips and monthly vacations.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I won't be keeping mine. I could live with the 2 4night restriction IF you could use the concierge, but to book and not get the points or benefits, no thank you! I don't travel that much and I already have the AMEX platinum. I can't justify its cost any more.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:27 pm

Citi should really reconsider using only online 3rd party bookings for the two 4th night free hotel bookings.
It is bad enough that it is now restricted to 2 bookings but absolutely terrible if we cant use the concierge to get the rates/packages that we want.
Not to mention many hotels and many rates dont show up on the awful website.

The Citi online booking engine often gives higher pricing too when compared to other 3rd party sites.

If Citi , by Sep 2019, still requires us to use the 3rd party online booking, I would be canceling the card...
4th night free is the only reason I am still using the Citi card.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Citi should really reconsider using only online 3rd party bookings for the two 4th night free hotel bookings.
It is bad enough that it is now restricted to 2 bookings but absolutely terrible if we cant use the concierge to get the rates/packages that we want.
Not to mention many hotels and many rates dont show up on the awful website.

The Citi online booking engine often gives higher pricing too when compared to other 3rd party sites.

If Citi , by Sep 2019, still requires us to use the 3rd party online booking, I would be canceling the card...
4th night free is the only reason I am still using the Citi card.
+10000 to this. I'm in at $350/yr as Citi Priority, so I will keep this card, but otherwise I would not be a buyer at $495/yr, especially if 4th night free can only be had through the portal.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joachimm
...I'm in at $350/yr as Citi Priority,...
Mentioned earlier in the thread that the discount for Citi Priority will end.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Mentioned earlier in the thread that the discount for Citi Priority will end.
Well it's been a good run... Bye Prestige

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.