Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou Preferred, Citi ThankYou Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:20 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
There is no doubt that booking that happens before 9/2019 through the concierge will be covered.

But good luck getting anyone at the concierge booking for you after 9/2019. I wish it would have been that simple - but we all know it is not going to work.
I will try it.

I guess it it doesnt really matter though because one of the hotels we stay at on Maui twice a year doesnt have a rewards program and our average rate is usually $500/night.

But I stay in hotels about 130 nights per year for work so I use this card on almost every booking now.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:38 am

Is there going to be a ceiling on the price of the hotel room for 4NF after September 2019?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I finally got around to thinking about this card this morning when I got my email about the impending devaluation. My first instinct is to cancel the card after my next $250 credit posts.

But I gotta ask this: why do bloggers think these points are worth 1.5-1.7 cents each? The flight redemptions are not that high, and the list of transfer partners is paltry. I literally don't participate in a single program with which they have a transfer option.

Are the bloggers basing their valuations on one of those transfer programs? Is there one that is seen as superior to the others for someone who doesn't actually put their flight EQM's there as well? I know SQ is a great airline, but slow-crawling to an award via credit card transfers seems like too long of a bet on the future.

To date, I've redeemed TYP on short cheap flights via their portal. Stuff where redeeming a traditional miles award would not make sense.
BrockAdams likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
There is no doubt that booking that happens before 9/2019 through the concierge will be covered.

But good luck getting anyone at the concierge booking for you after 9/2019. I wish it would have been that simple - but we all know it is not going to work.
That will *almost* be a deal-breaker for me. Between accepting a worse rate (which you always must do even now to get 4NF) and losing the value of the points and status you get on a traditional booking, all value is pretty much gone if I have to book through the TYP site.

The value would only be on the fringes - an ultra-luxe stay at a brand outside the major chains where elite status and point don't matter, or a limited-service stay where I'm giving up points and just using the portal to save a few bucks (maybe half of the 4th night free, if I'm lucky). If I had two four-night Four Seasons stays per year, I'd still be enthusiastic about this card.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: American ExPlat SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
But I gotta ask this: why do bloggers think these points are worth 1.5-1.7 cents each? The flight redemptions are not that high, and the list of transfer partners is paltry. I literally don't participate in a single program with which they have a transfer option.

Are the bloggers basing their valuations on one of those transfer programs? Is there one that is seen as superior to the others for someone who doesn't actually put their flight EQM's there as well? I know SQ is a great airline, but slow-crawling to an award via credit card transfers seems like too long of a bet on the future.

To date, I've redeemed TYP on short cheap flights via their portal. Stuff where redeeming a traditional miles award would not make sense.
I agree with this. I personally value TYP at the $0.0125 rate, haven't had any use for the transfer airlines yet. I have enjoyed using TYP as you described, typically where award availability is scarce or accompanied by large out of pocket taxes. I have done a couple of long haul flights on TYP, it was nice earning the EQMs for those and not being hampered by availability.

I will be keeping the card for my next AF cycle that begins July '19. I travel often and will easily get credits surpassing the AF. I used to be one of the hyper-users of the 4NF, in one year using it ~25 times. It was nice while it lasted but let's be real, it was too good to be true. That said, 2 4NF a year can still be valuable. This year I used it at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho this spring, when my rate was ~$600 / night. I got to stack the benefit w/ Luxury collection's 4th night free rate. 4 night's in Tokyo during cherry blossom season for nearly 50% off and I earn my SPG points for 4 nights? Hard to beat.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:30 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

Are the bloggers basing their valuations on one of those transfer programs?
Because they need to keep pumping cards to get their referrals But yes, the high point valuations bloggers attribute to credit card currencies are generally based on premium reward redemptions via mileage transfer partners.

The problem is, these values are often hard for regular people (even many of us here on FT) to replicate, because we don't always have the flexibility in travel patterns to fly when those premium redemptions are actually available.

Not to mention that there is always that argument, that just because an international business class ticket retails for $5,000, it's not really "worth" that much unless you would have otherwise paid out of pocket if the mileage redemption wasn't available.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by dw
Because they need to keep pumping cards to get their referrals But yes, the high point valuations bloggers attribute to credit card currencies are generally based on premium reward redemptions via mileage transfer partners.

The problem is, these values are often hard for regular people (even many of us here on FT) to replicate, because we don't always have the flexibility in travel patterns to fly when those premium redemptions are actually available.

Not to mention that there is always that argument, that just because an international business class ticket retails for $5,000, it's not really "worth" that much unless you would have otherwise paid out of pocket if the mileage redemption wasn't available.
I hear you. For airline miles, I calculate my own valuations based on when I redeem vs. buy a coach award for a trip I'm definitely going to take. That's usually in the 1.8 - 2.0 cpm range (for most programs where I actually earn and burn a lot). Out of those same programs, I often redeem int'l J and don't worry about the cents-per-mile (they can get silly if you look at max-retail rates in Orbitz for a convoluted open-jaw multi-carrier three-continent F itin!!).

I'm curious if there's one program in particular on TYP's odd (and really limited) list that the bloggers are baselining off of. Turkish? AsiaMiles?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:37 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... SQ is a great airline, but slow-crawling to an award via credit card transfers seems like too long of a bet on the future.
To extend that example, SQ is also a transfer partner at Membership Rewards and Ultimate Rewards, which means you can accelerate accumulation by pooling points earned through spending and bonuses from cards issued by three banks.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:40 am

I will be sure to get my two 2020 4-night reservations booked via Citi Prestige Concierge prior to Sept 2019.
will then cancel the card when the annual fee posts in late 2020.
the card is relevant to me only to the extent it helps me keep WOH Globalist status
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Colin
I will be sure to get my two 2020 4-night reservations booked via Citi Prestige Concierge prior to Sept 2019.
will then cancel the card when the annual fee posts in late 2020.
the card is relevant to me only to the extent it helps me keep WOH Globalist status
Just curious: how does this card help you keep Globalist?

I have the Chase Hyatt Visa that gets me Discoverist, but I don't use it often. I just pay the fee, use my annual Cat 4 cert, and use the card for my 3-4 paid Hyatt stays a year. I wasn't aware of any Citi-Hyatt tie...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:55 am

book 10 4-night stays at Hyatts via Citi Prestige Concierge per year and pay for only 30 nights
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Colin
book 10 4-night stays at Hyatts via Citi Prestige Concierge per year and pay for only 30 nights
Ah... So you actually stay at Hyatts a lot and just crush the 4NF benefit while you're at it. I was thinking there was some secret backdoor to Globalist I was missing out on...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Got the email as well.

No mention of the $100 AF reduction for Citigold members, or was that considered a part of the "Relationship Bonus" which is going away?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:28 am

Looks like I will keep the card through the next renewal (Spring) and cancel in 2020
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by docbert
Got the email as well.

No mention of the $100 AF reduction for Citigold members, or was that considered a part of the "Relationship Bonus" which is going away?
My read of the email is that Citigold members keep their existing fee, presumably still $350.

Annual Fee
will be increasing to $495, and $75 per authorized user, including cardmembers with a Citi Priority account. You will receive official notice of this change at a later date. This change will be effective at your account anniversary after September 1, 2019. If you maintain a Citigold or Citi Private Bank account, these annual fee and authorized user fee increases will not apply to your account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.