Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yugi
I think that Prestige becomes better than both CSR and Amex Platinum. It's $100 more expensive than CSR, but you get more points for airfare, dining and travel agencies, and the same for hotels and cruise lines. But you get 2 free nights, which is definitely more than $100.
Compared to Amex Platinum, it wins everywhere, because Amex perks are harder to use. I'm planning to get my Prestige out of sock drawer and start using it for dining, airfare, and travel agencies, and planning to dump my Platinum.
Could not agree more! If I had to have just one card, it would be Prestige. Their trip insurance is better than Chase, extended warranty is also the best among the three, fourth night free for two uses a year that no one else offers, more points per $$ spent on average, much better price protection and better roadside assistance (i.e. no cap on annual use).

Where Amex wins is Centurion lounges, FHR, better value for MR (at least for me), and better customer service. The one card that I absolutely don’t care for going forward is CSR. I will earn my points with Freedom, Unlimited Freedom and Ink. For car rental, I will either use the City Crystal or get the premium insurance from Amex.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
.... trip insurance is better than Chase,... I will earn my points with Freedom, Unlimited Freedom and Ink. ...
I think Citi's insurance was better until the most recent revision, but I have not done a careful comparison since. What features are more favorable?

Which INK card do you use?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I think you are missing the bigger picture on the "free nights". Citi's 4th night free is essentially a 25% discount. Chase's 50% bonus is a 33% discount. Is 8% a game-changer? No, but it sure doesn't make Chase's benefit inferior. Now for the real difference maker here, Chase gives you the freedom to book whatever you want with those points, to get the bonus. 1 night, 4 nights, 6 nights, any duration, all 33% off, and with no limit. Citi makes you do 4 nights, can use it twice. For Citi to win here, you need a very specific profile. One that is very high on airfare and dining, and two, four night stays, at a very expensive resort.

But I do agree with you that this is more of a spending card than the Platinum.
But if you combine Prestige with Premier and book 4 nights at a time, you get 40% discount, which is better than Chase. I do book 4 nights at a time, and then I pad with Chase or US Bank if needed. Like if I need 5 nigths - 4 nights with Citi, 1 night with Chase. Also Citi don't allow back to back bookings, so you can do 4-1-4. I booked all inclusive hotels in Mexico like this many times.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by jediwho
Could not agree more! If I had to have just one card, it would be Prestige. Their trip insurance is better than Chase, extended warranty is also the best among the three, fourth night free for two uses a year that no one else offers, more points per $$ spent on average, much better price protection and better roadside assistance (i.e. no cap on annual use).

Where Amex wins is Centurion lounges, FHR, better value for MR (at least for me), and better customer service. The one card that I absolutely don’t care for going forward is CSR. I will earn my points with Freedom, Unlimited Freedom and Ink. For car rental, I will either use the City Crystal or get the premium insurance from Amex.
If I had to have only one card it would be Altitude Reserve. It's similar to CSR, but it earns 3x(4.5%) everywhere in person with Samsung Pay. It also has primary CDW, and some kind of lounge access. Protections may not be as good as CSR or Prestige, but you can't beat 4.5% everywhere with $75 effective AF, and no FTF.
akr1970akr and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I think you are missing the bigger picture on the "free nights". Citi's 4th night free is essentially a 25% discount. Chase's 50% bonus is a 33% discount. Is 8% a game-changer? No, but it sure doesn't make Chase's benefit inferior. Now for the real difference maker here, Chase gives you the freedom to book whatever you want with those points, to get the bonus. 1 night, 4 nights, 6 nights, any duration, all 33% off, and with no limit. Citi makes you do 4 nights, can use it twice. For Citi to win here, you need a very specific profile.
That is true if you compare the advance purchase rate or the BAR rate.

But with Citi you can use special rates and special promos that would stuck to the 25% off which potentially will be much more. With many hotels offering buy 3 get 4, which can be combined with the the 25% off you get effectively 44% off, as one example. Use corporate rate and you can get more than 25% off.

Of course the personal circumstances will differ as well as taking into consideration the discount on taxes with Chase and not with Citi.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
I think Citi's insurance was better until the most recent revision, but I have not done a careful comparison since. What features are more favorable?

INK Business Plus with 5x at office supply stores and teleco.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia

Prestige trip delay works on one ways. CSR requires a round trip. However Prestige will not cover if you misconnect if incoming flight to connection point wasn’t delay enough to meet coverage criteria . Not sure about CSR.

Prestige auto collision has a higher limit.

Prestige still offers a price match.

Prestige extended warranty is two years vs one for CSR.

I have both CSR and Prestige. Been keeping Prestige due to 4NF. On the fence on renewing it. The changes (other than 4NF) are compelling but Prestige is lacking transfer partners. I’m not keeping the card just because it breaks even.
mia and akr1970akr like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
On the surface, these changes to Prestige are smart. 5x on dining and air = more than Chase's 3x. 5 is more than 3, right? They clearly took the battle to Chase, which was unexpected. However, on the back end, are you REALLY getting that much more? Is the average person really benefiting that much more from the extra 2 TYP on airfare and dining to more than pay for the extra $45 in AF? At $2250 in additional airfare and dining spend, you have broken even with the new AF difference. What about the background devaluations?
People just have to accept that Citi is making a weak effort to keep the TY points program running. Cutting the portal redemption to 1 cpp, which is most likely equal to the price they pay for miles from their partner airlines, is all Citi wants to pay. It looks like they no longer want to pay 1.25 cpp or 1.66 cpp to redeem for flights. It wouldn't surprise me if the program as an entirety didn't exist within the next five years.

The Prestige is becoming more of a benefits card, even with the increase in dining and flight earnings - which I think is fine for many. Redeeming for two free nights at a $400 value plus $250 towards other travel as credits, is certainly great for a $495 AF.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
People just have to accept that Citi is making a weak effort to keep the TY points program running. Cutting the portal redemption to 1 cpp, which is most likely equal to the price they pay for miles from their partner airlines, is all Citi wants to pay. It looks like they no longer want to pay 1.25 cpp or 1.66 cpp to redeem for flights. It wouldn't surprise me if the program as an entirety didn't exist within the next five years.

The Prestige is becoming more of a benefits card, even with the increase in dining and flight earnings - which I think is fine for many. Redeeming for two free nights at a $400 value plus $250 towards other travel as credits, is certainly great for a $495 AF.
I don't think it really matters what happens in 5 years.

TYP or any of these bank / loyalty programs are not real wealth that is going to be grow if carefully invested.

Use them while they are available, squeeze them as hard as you can.

People on these kinds of boards are always going to be able to adapt to whatever the rules of the game are in the future.

Let's just keep hoping that all these benefits continue to be subsidized by

a) those who pay cash
b) those who carry interest bearing balances

At some point if the US becomes more like a cashless Sweden, and interchange is crushed/regulated, the card gamers / churners / optimizers would really face a cruel new world.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by seawolf
I have both CSR and Prestige. Been keeping Prestige due to 4NF. On the fence on renewing it. The changes (other than 4NF) are compelling but Prestige is lacking transfer partners. I’m not keeping the card just because it breaks even.
I'm in a similar situation -- I'll probably shift airfare spending over to the Prestige since the 5x on airfare is nice, and matches the Amex Plat, but TYPs are really weak in terms of transfer partners (pretty much just VS and SQ for me). I've contemplated dropping my CSR, except URs carry a significant value premium over TYPs/MRs with UA as a transfer partner.

I wish the Prestige would come with hotel status of some kind. If I'm holding a card for the benefits and not the spend, it has to at least meet what the Amex Plat is offering.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
At some point if the US becomes more like a cashless Sweden, and interchange is crushed/regulated, the card gamers / churners / optimizers would really face a cruel new world.
True, but even in regulated countries (e.g. Australia), they still manage to offer cards with 1 point per dollar accrual, as well as bonus categories even with >1 point per dollar. So who knows... with $1 trillion in balances being carried, I would hope that there'd be enough money still being made to support rewards even with less interchange in the picture...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
True, but even in regulated countries (e.g. Australia), they still manage to offer cards with 1 point per dollar accrual, as well as bonus categories even with >1 point per dollar. So who knows... with $1 trillion in balances being carried, I would hope that there'd be enough money still being made to support rewards even with less interchange in the picture...
Far as US market is concerned only about 30% (IIRC) of consumers with credit cards carry a balance from month to month. The remaining 70% are a mix of those who pay off balances entirely each month, leave cards inactive for long periods, and or use cards strategically to suit their purposes (points, zero percent balance transfers, and other rewards).

This leaves CC issuers to come up with ways to get card the more desired credit demographics to use their product. Sub-prime card holders may generate interest each month from all that unpaid carry over balances, but they also represent a higher default risk. As you move up the food chain from that group to the better cards the array of *rewards* or whatever increases. Again all to get holders to use that particular card, even if they pay off the balance each month.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
For Citi - very rough numbers - but balances carrying are like 10% of holders for Prestige, 40% at Double Cash.

I guess Citi grand strategy is going to be competing less on perks / rewards, and more on balance transfer offers up front.

For most of the FT types I think that is not as attractive as I think people are less inclined to take those balances and put them in 2% savings accounts for a the year or whatever.

My belief is that folks prefer getting a simple miles/points bonus and moving on, and not have to manage borrowing/lending type of stuff.

Of course there are people who are willing to do that work, and as interest rates rise just a little, it becomes more doable.

A 10k 0% interest rate offer for a year could be basically $200-$300 pre tax as rates normalize.

Not the lowest hanging fruit on the tree, but perhaps other stuff is picked over, and for some people, this might be what's left.

I hope Citi considers making Prestige a contactless card; they've done it with the Costco Visa so it should be doable if they want.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
For Citi - very rough numbers - but balances carrying are like 10% of holders for Prestige, 40% at Double Cash.

I guess Citi grand strategy is going to be competing less on perks / rewards, and more on balance transfer offers up front.

For most of the FT types I think that is not as attractive as I think people are less inclined to take those balances and put them in 2% savings accounts for a the year or whatever.

My belief is that folks prefer getting a simple miles/points bonus and moving on, and not have to manage borrowing/lending type of stuff.

Of course there are people who are willing to do that work, and as interest rates rise just a little, it becomes more doable.

A 10k 0% interest rate offer for a year could be basically $200-$300 pre tax as rates normalize.

Not the lowest hanging fruit on the tree, but perhaps other stuff is picked over, and for some people, this might be what's left.

I hope Citi considers making Prestige a contactless card; they've done it with the Costco Visa so it should be doable if they want.
While often attractive, thing about Citi's various zero percent offers is sums truly need to be paid off within that period. This because from what one has seen many Citi cards have very high APRs, this even for those who supposedly had good to excellent credit in order to obtain.

OTOH Capital One has several good cash back cards and many come with attractive balance transfer offers, but their APR for good to excellent credit customers is on average far lower than most Citi cards.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
While often attractive, thing about Citi's various zero percent offers is sums truly need to be paid off within that period. This because from what one has seen many Citi cards have very high APRs, this even for those who supposedly had good to excellent credit in order to obtain.....
On the other hand, Citi seems to be the most flexible with lowering APR's. I've seen people get multiple APR reductions per week, and some people have had single digit APR cards through Citi. I believe Mia told me she had a Prestige with an 8% APR at one point in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.