Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You don't see it? As per DoC, it just happened.
You're completely out of touch here. Loss of bonus through Citi's travel portal? Yes. Loss of value through Citi's airline partners? I don't see anything about that in the article.

In fact, the DoC article says the following:

The new bonus categories here are huge — based on my valuations, 5x points on dining and air travel equals an 8.5% return. That’s higher than the American Express® Gold Cardwith its 4x on US restaurants, and the Prestige’s 5x on dining is available globally. I’ll switch to the Prestige for my dining spending once the 5x category takes effect in January.
My main Citi transfer partner (was) Jet Blue, where I can average about 1.5 cpp, and is now a 1:1 transfer partner. 7.5% back on dining uncapped mind you, plus 7.5% back on air travel, and 1.5% back on others (I don't do cruises) is pretty good and is in my opinion, better earning than the old card.

Not to mention I find a huge devaluation in MR points because of the stupid tax I have to pay when transferring the points to airlines. With Citi, I don't have to worry about that.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
You're completely out of touch here. ...
I predicted a devaluation might be coming, a devaluation was confirmed a few hours later — i.e., the loss of the 25% bonus — and yet here you are again, claiming *I'm* "out of touch."
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Any color on whether the 15% base point year end reward for CitiGold customers is sticking? I realize that's a very niche perk, not germane to most, but still a nice one to have....
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
The loss of the 25% travel bonus is another significant hit on the value of checking account ThankYou points as they cannot be transferred to partners.

Long drop from the AA 66% bonus days.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I predicted a devaluation might be coming, a devaluation was confirmed a few hours later — i.e., the loss of the 25% bonus — and yet here you are again, claiming *I'm* "out of touch."
And for those of us who transfer to airline partners, there is no loss of value.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:25 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
And for those of us who transfer to airline partners, there is no loss of value.
I agree.

Whats funny is I value all currencies the same because I transfer UR, MR, TY to SQ, which has the same transfer rates.

Headed to thailand next month in SQ First Class on points!!!

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by firemandan9
The loss of the 25% travel bonus is another significant hit on the value of checking account ThankYou points as they cannot be transferred to partners.

Yes indeed. If they blow it up for Premier as well (which would make sense for them to do if they're doing it for Prestige) then that really stings But it was always crazy how much TYP one could earn without that much effort /expense from ongoing regular banking activities.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
So I see there's a use-cap on 4NF -- is there a dollar cap though?

I could go blow two 4NF at a random Courtyard Marriott or something, but that vastly pales in comparison to if I were to go book the Ritz Carlton for eight nights across two stays instead.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

That's wonderful, but it doesn't change the fact that multiple TYP devaluations are occurring as part of the revamp. Not sure why you love to argue against the obvious so much.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

That's wonderful, but it doesn't change the fact that multiple TYP devaluations are occurring as part of the revamp. Not sure why you love to argue against the obvious so much.
Because the most valuable method to redeem isn't being devalued, and that's all that matters.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Because the most valuable method to redeem isn't being devalued, and that's all that matters.
LOL.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
It's far from obvious that that is the most valuable method to redeem, and doubly so given Citi's relatively weak group of partners. It may be the most valuable method for you, which is great, but it likely is not for the average cardholder. I personally plan to redeem most Citi TYPs as point transfers, but I don't deny that this is a devaluation.

(I will say, however, that the B6 option does represent a viable ~1.5c redemption floor for many domestic US travelers, though it is of little use to me personally.)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:16 pm

I think it depends on the person what they think is most valuable.

I don't get wildly disproportionate TYP redemptions - mostly between 1c - 2c zone - with 1.5 being my target, and general average return.

But the points are easy to generate, and usually* the retention calls are fruitful, so all in all, one gets a good long term return from using them.

However Citi's clumsy back end technology also imposes a real cost.

We have been dealing with a tech glitch that migrated from DNSB to CitiCards, and resolving it took 3+ years, and lots of aggro.

* in recent years Prestige has been NFW on the retention call
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Thanks for this commentary. I'd never really looked into Virgin's program. I knew their ANA redemptions were a good deal, but generally we've been more Western Europe focused for redemptions.

What's strange is that if they nuke the uplift on TYP Portal travel bookings, why would anyone use it? Why not just take the 1c/TYP statement credit option, and book direct, or through a cashback portal or something?

As mentioned before, I'm ok with the changes. We'll use the card more if anything.

And at least existing holders have a year to enjoy the existing benefits while they can.

PS: for those who are paying for any kind of emergency roadside assistance from their insurance company, the Prestige offers that for free, and its a decent offering. I've used it twice over the last few years, and although a little clunkier than the car insurance web/app delivered service, its functional enough. Dropping that coverage from your car insurer might save you $25-$50 annually, if you are willing to use the Prestige for that if ever needed.
Can you share your experience with roadside assistance from prestige card, please?
I'm mainly using TYP portal to book 4 nights stays at the hotels, using a combination of Presitge and Premier to get 1.67cpp from the points. I think this is going to stay, buy will be limited to 2 times a year. I'm fine with that, since I didn't use it more then 3 times a year.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by firemandan9

You will need to have Premier for 25% bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.