Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
.... Prestige with an 8% APR at one point in time.
It's now 11.24%. It was lower, and I think Merrill+ VISA was even lower, but I allowed that account to die.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:46 pm

Could be wrong, but believe Citi keeps very close tabs on their account holders. It may vary by card held, but generally those who meet or exceed whatever standard of credit worthiness applies to a particular card get best APR, and or offers at same.

This is true for all cards of course, but Citi does seem IMHO to strictly adhere to set parameters.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
For sure, they have a fancy model with all kinds of inputs.

But they have a lot of garbage data going into it at times....often from their OWN FIRM.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Far as US market is concerned only about 30% (IIRC) of consumers with credit cards carry a balance from month to month. The remaining 70% are a mix of those who pay off balances entirely each month, leave cards inactive for long periods, and or use cards strategically to suit their purposes (points, zero percent balance transfers, and other rewards).

This leaves CC issuers to come up with ways to get card the more desired credit demographics to use their product. Sub-prime card holders may generate interest each month from all that unpaid carry over balances, but they also represent a higher default risk. As you move up the food chain from that group to the better cards the array of *rewards* or whatever increases. Again all to get holders to use that particular card, even if they pay off the balance each month.
The game for those who pay off their balances and are earning rewards is a different one. A big trend in business right now is "subscriptions" with lots of perks. The average person will have a higher front-loaded utilization of the perks. The hope is, as time goes on, that levels out, and they keep paying the fees. Throughout the way, the company will cut benefits with a very low utilization (not important for everyone) but a very high cost (a few people costing the most money). They will also find other ways to balance out costs. Long-term is the name of this game.

Another portion of this is that VISA/Mastercard have been able to make an agreement to the merchants that says you must take all of our cards the same. As the premium CC business has grown, they have been able to sneak in higher exchange fees for premium cards like VISA Infinite. Retailers are currently fighting this one, hard. This is a big deal to those in the premium game.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Yup basically the whole Visa Infinite is sort of like making vendors take AmEx, when they only originally agreed to lower cost payment methods.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:02 pm

Will keep

I will keep the Prestige card. Citi Rewind still saves me 1000 a year. I also appreciate their merchant dispute process, which is online, easy to use, and has always worked in my favor.

I do regret the loss of the unlimited 4th night free as it has saved me thousands. The trip delay was also great when it lasted, particularly for those who read and were able to understand the benefit guide.

Having said that, I would have switched to the Hilton Aspire, but that is an Amex which is not dependable abroad. AMEX also continues to have terrible customer service.

​​​​​
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I will keep the Prestige card. Citi Rewind still saves me 1000 a year. I also appreciate their merchant dispute process, which is online, easy to use, and has always worked in my favor.
​​​​​
By all means keep it if the math works out for you. But keep in mind that neither of those is a reason to keep the Prestige specifically. All Citi cards have price rewind, including the no AF Double Cash, and the merchant dispute process will be the same as well.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Elimination of 1.25x rede

Does the elimination of 1.25x redemption for airfare on the TYP portal apply just to Prestige, or all TYP products (Premier as well)?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:47 am

I don't get it.

$495 AF.
$250 Travel Credit
$245 AF.

If you never use the card except to get $250 travel credit and use it for two stays a year that average to at least $150/night, why wouldn't you sign up for the card?

I travel internationally every year, with at least two 4 night stays in different cities.

This is the one card I'd just consider having as the credits will always be > than the AF. Even if you have the plat and csr.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by thomasengland
I don't get it.

$495 AF.
$250 Travel Credit
$245 AF.

If you never use the card except to get $250 travel credit and use it for two stays a year that average to at least $150/night, why wouldn't you sign up for the card?

I travel internationally every year, with at least two 4 night stays in different cities.

This is the one card I'd just consider having as the credits will always be > than the AF. Even if you have the plat and csr.
Technically if you were instead to spend the same amount of money on a strictly cashback or no-AF points card, one could make the argument that you'd be coming out ahead by using said no-AF points/cashback card rather than merely breaking even with the Prestige. The purpose of the Prestige 4NF is that it's fairly easy to get outsized returns (e.g. a top tier hotel in most cities will run you north of $200/night, and considering there's no dollar cap, you could be "super ......" and save a 4th night on some thousand dollar resort).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Thumbs up Citi Prestige

This card in my opinion is going to "slaughter" the competition. 5X on Airfare & Dining; 3X Hotel & Cruises, a general travel credit of $250.00 and 2X free nights a year, where if you play your cards right with the right hotel, at the right time, can deliver value at a min., of $1000.00 savings? What other super premium rewards card earn at those rates? You might lose the 25% points redemption, but transfers yield the best value anyway. These changes will definitely put the Prestige at the top of the "food chain" or the best performer in its" class if true.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by livencali
This card in my opinion is going to "slaughter" the competition.
Sorry but your opinion is worth nothing when the card is issued by Citi.

It is a matter of when the card will be discontinued for good. In the alternative, significant benefit reduction.

Citi is cheap. End of story.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: American Airlines
Smile

Originally Posted by garykung
Sorry but your opinion is worth nothing when the card is issued by Citi.

My opinion maybe isn't worth anything to Citi, but it for sure is worth a whole lot more to me hence what ever benefits the card and Citi will offer, I will take advantage of them, be it short term or long term.

It is a matter of when the card will be discontinued for good. In the alternative, significant benefit reduction.

Again, be it short term of long term, I am going to benefit from the card. If and when Citi reduces the benefits of the card based on your "official reports" I'll re-review the product to determine if the benefits suit my needs.

Citi is cheap. End of story.
I'm sorry but your "hypothesis" or "opinion" is worth nothing to Citi coming from you.

BIG HUG
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by milypan

By all means keep it if the math works out for you. But keep in mind that neither of those is a reason to keep the Prestige specifically. All Citi cards have price rewind, including the no AF Double Cash, and the merchant dispute process will be the same as well.
Your statement assumes that Citibank treats merchant disputes on all cards the same. I do not make this assumption.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by livencali
This card in my opinion is going to "slaughter" the competition. 5X on Airfare & Dining; 3X Hotel & Cruises, a general travel credit of $250.00 and 2X free nights a year, where if you play your cards right with the right hotel, at the right time, can deliver value at a min., of $1000.00 savings? What other super premium rewards card earn at those rates? You might lose the 25% points redemption, but transfers yield the best value anyway. These changes will definitely put the Prestige at the top of the "food chain" or the best performer in its" class if true.
While I'm glad to get AmEx Gold, it will probably be replaced by Citi Prestige once I qualify for another TYP sign-on bonus. 5X is hard to beat especially those of us flying overseas often.

Here's an example of how lucrative this can be, Turkish Airlines, US-Asia business class for $2800 USD, you'll earn 14K points/miles from spend, add 32K miles from flights, that's more than 45K miles, enough for get 1 way , US/Canada - Europe Business Class saver award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.