Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Accepting applications as of 1.31.2019 50,000 points for $4,000 spend in 90 days:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-prestige-card#ddl-pricinfo

Bonus ThankYou Points are not available if you received a new cardmember bonus for Citi Rewards+℠, Citi ThankYou® Preferred, Citi ThankYou® Premier/Citi Premier℠ or Citi Prestige®, or if you have closed any of these cards, in the past 24 months.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige USA refresh: 5X Air,Dine; 3X Hotel,Cruise; Hotel 4NF capped 2X/yr; $495

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well I'm feeling no regret about cancelling my Prestige a couple months ago. I could handle the 2x/yr restriction on the 4NF but the loss of being able to book through the concierge just kills the remaining value there. Of my 2 4NF stays in my most recent year, both needed the concierge to access member only rates or use my corporate rate code. The increase in earn rates is nice, especially the 5x on dining. Oh well. This card and I had a good run. Depending on what the landscape looks like re the 24 month family rule and how lucrative the sign up bonus is I may be back in the future.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by damon88

Curious who does? I don’t have a single card that has ever declined and I travel extensively and never notify. Amex and Chase have specifically instructed me that I don’t need to call when I’m traveling, that their algorithm is sophisticated enough to know my travel patterns
+1. Sometimes I forget to notify Chase of my travel and I've never had a problem using my CSR anywhere on the planet where Visa is accepted
damon88 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime

Curious who does? I don’t have a single card that has ever declined and I travel extensively and never notify. Amex and Chase have specifically instructed me that I don’t need to call when I’m traveling, that their algorithm is sophisticated enough to know my travel patterns
I think this is going to be very individual specific - bank/card/history - and is not something that can be generalized.

Banks do not want to block valid legit transactions.

They have about 50 milliseconds to make a decision, after you tap, swipe, or insert.

I haven't had much trouble in Europe with Prestige (it worked very well) but had other random widgets freeze up, inexplicably.

Cards I never used were sometimes ok, and daily drivers (who'd been given notification of travel) would be balky.

I think anyone on FT should just keep a small quiver of cards from different banks/payment networks in their wallet and on their watch/phone no matter what.

And even being super old school, I still get a little cash in the local currency from an ATM or ahead of time too.

The costs are not high for those kinds of protection.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Appreciate the explanation and totally understand this, but I choose to keep my investment accounts at other institutions for a variety of reasons. First Citi devalues a lot of Citigold clients to Priority, and now they pull another benefit away.

Other thoughts I've had:

While the higher earn categories are nice (I spend a lot on dining, though Airfare usually goes on my Amex Platinum), they seem to really be hacking away other great benefits this card once had that I valued:
- Points for airfare purchase have been declining, from $0.016 for AA and now at 0.01/point I no longer see any value for redeeming in this category
- I could live with the reduction to 2 4NF's, but if I'm not going to get any elite benefits this really has no value to me anymore
- I have Priority Pass through Amex so that's a wash (and don't forget the long gone Admirals Club access)
- Relative annual fee goes up from $100 to $245 for me.

So in 12 months I'll have a card I pay $245 for just to get 5x on dining with transfer to a more limited partner base than Amex or Chase. The change to portal booking only for the 4NF is likely the nail in the coffin for me. That is the only thing that could have wiped away the $245 AF. I'll continue to enjoy the card for another year as my AF is due soon, but will be done after that. Will probably look to the new Amex Gold for other bonus category spend.
Citi's goal with their all of their credit cards, even their flagships, is to make profit. Prestige customers are unlikely to pay lots of late fees, interest, or other junk costs like cash advance surcharges etc. So whatever is being doled out has to be balanced with what is being taken in on the the revenue side. Chase has been getting hurt with CSR -- they took a 200 or 300mm charge to earnings for it. I doubt Prestige - if analysed on a separate line item basis - is wildly different although mgmt was a little less flagrant in handing out sign up bonuses. Every action they have taken for 2-3 years has been about restoring profitability, or at least stopping the bleeding.

Things that can't go on forever, don't. This is the iron law of travel hacking, churning, and so on.

If anything the CARD act has made it far more dangerous for issuers - if they do something deranged (like 4NF) - they cannot easily extricate themselves from it. Unlike a biz card, which can gets its T&C changed lightning quick if they realize there's some loophole they've left open.

Ultimately as people cancel, and don't get baited into bs retention offers, they'll either reach some equilibrium, or (again) adjust what they offer to holders.

=========

So weirdly, I caught up with a family member today at a memorial service. They just won the first level of status with Star Alliance, and have been getting no loving from their airlines still, and they actually were saying how happy they were with their Premier and TYP in general. They'd gotten more out of that than the lowest rung of whatever United hands out. This was mostly TYP transfers into SQ for longhaul. It was strange to hear a non FT type wax on about TYP.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Has anyone had any good luck in booking WITH the ThankYou service center @ 1-800-THANK-YOU? e.g. is the availability EXACTLY the same as online, and you get no hotel status benefits to boot? Just curious if the phone is the same as online.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by mia
DONE. I don't think they are interested in the purpose of any individual stay, but in the pattern, although they could add a question to the booking process.
It gets much harder to discern a pattern when you limit your data set to two data points per year.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I think this is going to be very individual specific - bank/card/history - and is not something that can be generalized.

Banks do not want to block valid legit transactions.

They have about 50 milliseconds to make a decision, after you tap, swipe, or insert.

I haven't had much trouble in Europe with Prestige (it worked very well) but had other random widgets freeze up, inexplicably.

Cards I never used were sometimes ok, and daily drivers (who'd been given notification of travel) would be balky.

I think anyone on FT should just keep a small quiver of cards from different banks/payment networks in their wallet and on their watch/phone no matter what.

And even being super old school, I still get a little cash in the local currency from an ATM or ahead of time too.

The costs are not high for those kinds of protection.
Banks are way smarter than previously. It's no longer "you're out of state, this is dangerous". If you book travel on your card, they know where you're going.

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Citi's goal with their all of their credit cards, even their flagships, is to make profit. Prestige customers are unlikely to pay lots of late fees, interest, or other junk costs like cash advance surcharges etc. So whatever is being doled out has to be balanced with what is being taken in on the the revenue side. Chase has been getting hurt with CSR -- they took a 200 or 300mm charge to earnings for it. I doubt Prestige - if analysed on a separate line item basis - is wildly different although mgmt was a little less flagrant in handing out sign up bonuses. Every action they have taken for 2-3 years has been about restoring profitability, or at least stopping the bleeding.

Things that can't go on forever, don't. This is the iron law of travel hacking, churning, and so on.

If anything the CARD act has made it far more dangerous for issuers - if they do something deranged (like 4NF) - they cannot easily extricate themselves from it. Unlike a biz card, which can gets its T&C changed lightning quick if they realize there's some loophole they've left open.

Ultimately as people cancel, and don't get baited into bs retention offers, they'll either reach some equilibrium, or (again) adjust what they offer to holders.

=========

So weirdly, I caught up with a family member today at a memorial service. They just won the first level of status with Star Alliance, and have been getting no loving from their airlines still, and they actually were saying how happy they were with their Premier and TYP in general. They'd gotten more out of that than the lowest rung of whatever United hands out. This was mostly TYP transfers into SQ for longhaul. It was strange to hear a non FT type wax on about TYP.
The name of the game is to get people in the door, first and foremost. Then, if need be, you can scale back. Chase isn't seeing doom and gloom from the CSR charges. They surely understand that they have to right size the model, but that 200m charge is marketing for them. As they cut purchase protection, extra PP guests, rewards for the initial $300, abusers, and other stealth things we will never see, they do what they believe will save money, but keep customers around. They have not alienated their base.

Citi, unfortunately, has completely revamped their product, directed towards the average consumer. They have completely alienated the original base. The vast majority of people will never care about transferring points to business first class or use a concierge to implement their corporate rate to book 8 nights in Bali. They see 5% return, and think 5 > 3 elsewhere. It seems like smart marketing on the outside. However, the internet talks. This product does not compete well with Chase or AMEX.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by swag
It gets much harder to discern a pattern when you limit your data set to two data points per year.
If you follow the link to my original post, you can see that I think they added this provision to deal with some booking made between now and September 2019 when the cap is applied.

Originally Posted by Super Mario
.... vast majority of people will never care about transferring points to business first class ....
None of the announced changes restrict transfers, and increasing points per dollar would seem to make Prestige more attractive for those who redeem by transferring.

From a customer perspective it's great that Citi announces changes far in advance, but from a competitive perspective I don't know why they do this. It makes it much easier for Chase to offer something just slightly more appealing, as they did when Sapphire Reserve was introduced after changes to Prestige had been published.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:02 pm

Something that still isn’t clear to me - if I use the Concierge to make 4NF bookings for 2020 prior to Sept 1, 2019, do those stays towards my two 4NF uses for 2020, or are they exempt?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:38 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
Something that still isn’t clear to me - if I use the Concierge to make 4NF bookings for 2020 prior to Sept 1, 2019, do those stays towards my two 4NF uses for 2020, or are they exempt?

Exempt

The new cap on only being able to make two fourth night free bookings kicks in as of September 1, 2019. The good news is that bookings made prior to September 1 (even if the stay occurs after that date) don’t count towards the 2019 limit.

So in 2019 you’ll be able to make unlimited fourth night free bookings through the end of August, and then the new limit applies as of September, which is good at least.

https://onemileatatime.com/awful-cit...t-free-change/

Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Citi, unfortunately, has completely revamped their product, directed towards the average consumer. They have completely alienated the original base. The vast majority of people will never care about transferring points to business first class or use a concierge to implement their corporate rate to book 8 nights in Bali. They see 5% return, and think 5 > 3 elsewhere. It seems like smart marketing on the outside. However, the internet talks. This product does not compete well with Chase or AMEX.
It's almost like they wanted to curb the abuses to their benefits that they allowed for so long, especially with bloggers like TPG who blatantly brag about it how many thousands of dollars in hotel bookings they have avoided using 4NF each year.

As for the average consumer, I'm glad they at least reduced it to only two. It could have been worse by making it one or even removing the benefit altogether. Two equates roughly to the number of week long vacations I might actually pay for out of my pocket each year, as the rest of the nights are usually award redemptions or free night certificates I accumulated from my other cards.

To say that the product does not compete with Chase or Amex is a bit overstatement. They still retain their key differentiating benefits like 4NF and trip delay protection, and sweetened the pot by giving higher category bonuses as well. The average consumer isn't going to read the forums to understand why this card is or is not good. Marketing is what will hook them in.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:41 pm

Exempt

The new cap on only being able to make two fourth night free bookings kicks in as of September 1, 2019. The good news is that bookings made prior to September 1 (even if the stay occurs after that date) don’t count towards the 2019 limit.

So in 2019 you’ll be able to make unlimited fourth night free bookings through the end of August, and then the new limit applies as of September, which is good at least.

https://onemileatatime.com/awful-cit...t-free-change/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm interpreting this as saying that we can make bookings through August 2020 as most hotels allow bookings to be made for at least a year out. So basically, as long as we have made a booking through Aspire prior to 9/1/19 we should still receive the 4NF without any use cap. As long as we know our schedules, we'd be able to make bookings a year out and if we didn't need the booking then we could cancel?

Anyone else reading it the same way I am?

One problem I see is, who we would contact if we needed to cancel a booking after 9/1/19 if Citi is no longer working with Aspire?

Also, is there a difference between a "booking" and a "reservation?" I notice Citi is using the word "booking" and not "reservation."
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Chase seems to block you randomly.
I've been blocked randomly by all banks - but I've learned over the years (after calling a couple times about it) that it's often not the bank doing the blocking. The denial is coming from in-country somehow.

Example: in Nepal, Amex and Chase were getting universally declined, but my one Citi and one Barclay card were working fine. In India, it was the reverse: the Amex and Chase worked, but my Citi card wasn't working. In Peru, my Chase cards wouldn't work at all but Amex and Barclay worked fine. Always at merchants that were displaying all of the various card logos, and sometimes even at pretty established places like medium-sized inns/hotels or upscale restaurants.

I've also had my entire wallet of cards rejected for certain airlines. I cannot buy a ticket directly from Jet Airways or Egyptair, for example. Tried everything...Amex, Citi, Chase, Barclay. Booking through Orbitz and flying those airlines works.

Then I'd call Chase or Amex to complain, and they'd say "we don't see that we've denied any charges. To our systems, it looks like you haven't tried to use your card."

So something else is going on, and I honestly don't know enough about foreign banks and networks to know exactly what.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Explorer789
It's almost like they wanted to curb the abuses to their benefits that they allowed for so long, especially with bloggers like TPG who blatantly brag about it how many thousands of dollars in hotel bookings they have avoided using 4NF each year.

As for the average consumer, I'm glad they at least reduced it to only two. It could have been worse by making it one or even removing the benefit altogether. Two equates roughly to the number of week long vacations I might actually pay for out of my pocket each year, as the rest of the nights are usually award redemptions or free night certificates I accumulated from my other cards.

To say that the product does not compete with Chase or Amex is a bit overstatement. They still retain their key differentiating benefits like 4NF and trip delay protection, and sweetened the pot by giving higher category bonuses as well. The average consumer isn't going to read the forums to understand why this card is or is not good. Marketing is what will hook them in.
If I was a betting man, it was probably not Citi's intent to offer 4NF on rock-bottom rates through concierge. It was likely a loophole that the internet took advantage of again, so I get that. However, that with the 4NF cap is another big change to the product. I'm sure the average person doesn't use it more than twice, but I would be a bit agitated if this is what I wanted it for.

Maybe it was a bit much to stay it doesn't compete with Chase or AMEX, but what is the definitive competitive advantage for having this card? If you say it's hotel discounts, I disagree. Chase portal gives a 33% discount on everything vs Citis 2-time 25% discount on 4 nights. AMEX plays a different game with FHR getting the premium market edge.

I've had Citi cards for years. While most companies end up evolving their cards, Citi tends to be the most drastic with their changes.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by soy
Now that the Prestige is being 'enhanced', is there any other card out there that offers immediate family PP lounge access (or 3 guests) ?
Most seem to top out at 2 guests, or else are just generally uncompetitive to begin with.

Even with the other changes I was a keeper at $350, but not at $495
CNB Crystal Visa Infinite. Unlimited guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.