Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Well cc prestige links & application are still up
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
What's the odd of getting it approved if I just got Premier Card 2 months ago? I don't need the sign-on bonus but the benefits alone would be worth getting.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincewy
What's the odd of getting it approved if I just got Premier Card 2 months ago? I don't need the sign-on bonus but the benefits alone would be worth getting.
The odds are basically the same ir you'd gotten a non-TYP Citi card 2 months ago. Unlike some other banks, Citi doesn't deny you if they won't give you the signup bonus, they just don't give you the signup bonus.

So your odds of getting approved are simply based on credit approval factors. Which include what for some seems to act like a "1 application every 65 days" restriction at Citi (though in theory it's supposed be "2 applications every 65 days"). So if you're more than 65 days since you applied for that Premier, and you haven't applied for any other Citi cards since, there should be no Citi application timing issues for you.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Prestige removed from main Citi card site overnight: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/co...l-credit-cards
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
Prestige removed from main Citi card site overnight: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/co...l-credit-cards
and this: "Oops! page not found"

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...-prestige-card
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum, Amex SPG, Chase CSR, Citi TYP
Originally Posted by mia
I hope some better products would come out soon. I doubt that, from a business perspective, Citi would exit the premium credit card segment. The 4th night benefit seemed to be a silly idea to begin with, and taken advantage by some. Comparing to the Prestige, CSR is an attractive product but Chase probably is losing money on it. Amex platinum is a strange product too: too expensive for ordinary people, and the perks are not attractive to real road warriors. We all fly first or business and, for example, OneWorld first class lounges are probably better than Centurion lounges. We all have lifetime hotel elite status. So I don’t know where does Amex Platinum fit? Many people just take advantage of the perks. Hope the new Citi product could assess these concerns. I still love Citi’s airline transfer partners.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:06 am
mia

Originally Posted by Safetravel3
.... We all fly first or business .... We all have lifetime hotel elite status....
This may be true for you, but there are many, many people who travel enough to value credit card perqs, but not enough to have mid-tier or lifetime status. This is particularly true for those who are just starting the heavy travel phase of a career.
dw, lotrbfme, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime

I hope some better products would come out soon. I doubt that, from a business perspective, Citi would exit the premium credit card segment. The 4th night benefit seemed to be a silly idea to begin with, and taken advantage by some. Comparing to the Prestige, CSR is an attractive product but Chase probably is losing money on it. Amex platinum is a strange product too: too expensive for ordinary people, and the perks are not attractive to real road warriors. We all fly first or business and, for example, OneWorld first class lounges are probably better than Centurion lounges. We all have lifetime hotel elite status. So I don’t know where does Amex Platinum fit? Many people just take advantage of the perks. Hope the new Citi product could assess these concerns. I still love Citi’s airline transfer partners.
I think when they were introducing the product they needed some real differentiating attributes versus the other flagship cards. The 4NF, Admirals Club, Golf Rounds, etc. were not available in that cohort, so it could a) appeal to those who wanted those things, and presumably there was some market research / focus group testing picking them to begin with and b) since it wasn't a 'me too' product it might have a chance of getting people already carrying flagship cards to pick it up too. Our household has CSR and Prestige for example.

We love the 4NF - its basically the only way to get discounts if one is always traveling at peak times like Xmas, Labor Day etc. For a variety of reasons we are always forced into that, so its valuable for us.

I also like how easy the airline travel credit is to use. It seems like that kind of triggered the wave of easy to use credits among the upper end cards. Personally, I think the Amex structure is a little off market now.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:30 am
mia

Bear in mind that in the first year the Fourth Night Free benefit was provided by MasterCard, rather than by Citi. The decision to continue it (with a different agency) suggests that it achieved their objectives, and subsequent tweaks were an attempt to improve service and make it sustainable. The loss of the AA benefits was probably not anticipated, and they have not managed to find suitable replacements.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by mia
This may be true for you, but there are many, many people who travel enough to value credit card perqs, but not enough to have mid-tier or lifetime status. This is particularly true for those who are just starting the heavy travel phase of a career.
Well said. All what I was saying is the Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige markets itself as a highend travel credit card but the perks are not attractive to real frequent travelers. If they target pseudo or young travelers, the business model is not right somewhere. Also, banks give perks to retain customers for years to come, not to be taken advantage of the perks. I heard people with certain travel patterns take thousands of dollars from the fourth night benefits. You wonder why the Prestige is now gone.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I think when they were introducing the product they needed some real differentiating attributes versus the other flagship cards. The 4NF, Admirals Club, Golf Rounds, etc. were not available in that cohort, so it could a) appeal to those who wanted those things, and presumably there was some market research / focus group testing picking them to begin with and b) since it wasn't a 'me too' product it might have a chance of getting people already carrying flagship cards to pick it up too. Our household has CSR and Prestige for example.

We love the 4NF - its basically the only way to get discounts if one is always traveling at peak times like Xmas, Labor Day etc. For a variety of reasons we are always forced into that, so its valuable for us.

I also like how easy the airline travel credit is to use. It seems like that kind of triggered the wave of easy to use credits among the upper end cards. Personally, I think the Amex structure is a little off market now.
Yes, I agree. Pls also see my points below.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:40 am

Hmmm. Thanks for that backstory mia. I had not realized that. I do feel that first year there was more issues getting the 4NF statement credit to "flow through" but they were also more loosey goosey on what they would let us book. Some properties have condo's within their hotel complexes, and now we have been told 'no' on those bookings whereras in the beginning we got one of those once. I'm not sure if that was deliberate, oversight, or just a course correction over time as the program kinks got worked out.

Still overall, I'm fine with losing the taxes/resort fees/exact 4th night if they just keep the system the way it is now. Heck, cap it to X times a year, if its the road warrior consultant types who might be 10% of card holders getting 90% of the aggregate statement credit dollar value.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.

...I doubt that, from a business perspective, Citi would exit the premium credit card segment.
It doesn't seem like a premium card such as the Prestige fits Corbat's business model going forward.

The average consumer doesn't want a card like the Prestige, and the Prestige costs Citi oceans full of cash every year because of the type of card it caters to.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:46 am

Well said. All what I was saying is the Amex Platinum or Citi Prestige markets itself as a highend travel credit card but the perks are not attractive to real frequent travelers. If they target pseudo or young travelers, the business model is not right somewhere. Also, banks give perks to retain customers for years to come, not to be taken advantage of the perks. I heard people with certain travel patterns take thousands of dollars from the fourth night benefits. You wonder why the Prestige is now gone.
What card do you like / use for your situation?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
What card do you like / use for your situation?
I am in an awkward situation. As long as I travel for business, I only need hotel credit cards to get points. My employer takes care of airfares. I am CX diamond and only fly OneWorld, and don’t need PP or Amex lounge access. If I stop traveling and lose my airline elite status, then I prefer Amex Platinum for the widest lounge access and 5x for airfare. I might keep either CSR or Citi TY Premier for general travel purpose. And I might also keep Amex SPG to supplement my lifetime gold elite status. That’s my plan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.