Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Statman
Most reports said that Citi paid American Express about $1B for the Costco portfolio......
Thank you, I do recall that. Any idea how much of it came back when American Express bought Citi's Hilton portfolio?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mia
Thank you, I do recall that. Any idea how much of it came back when American Express bought Citi's Hilton portfolio?
Citi announced in their 2017 third quarter report that the sale of the Hilton portfolio to American Express got them a pre-tax gain of $150M.

https://seekingalpha.com/filing/3744768
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
So... tomorrow (supposedly) is the day. Is anyone applying? I'm on the fence... I just got the Premier (and bonus) less than 2 months ago so no significant impact on the 24 month period. First year would be positive territory thanks to the $250x2 credits and perhaps a 4NF booking or two. Citi's partners match my needs perfectly (Turkish, Qantas, LifeMiles, FlyingBlue, Etihad) as opposed to Chase (have the CSR and may drop for the Prestige?)

I use Barclays Arrival Premier for all everyday non-bonus spend (live abroad), so only travel/restaurants/entertainment would be going on it.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Dropping the CSR seems ill-advised before it's clear what will happen with the Prestige.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Dropping the CSR seems ill-advised before it's clear what will happen with the Prestige.
I wouldn't close my CSR prior to 2020 since I have a ton of points..
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Safetravel3
As a matter of fact, I keep the TY Premier (only) for the reason that Citi has some of the world's very best airline partners. You could say that again after you have flown business or first class in SQ, CX, QF, or QR?
Except that Citi doesn't have airline partners, per se, it has airline program partners.

So are their airlinea' programs that much better, or are only their seats and in-flight service better? Because you can book those seats and in-flight service through other oneworld Alliance miles programs.

Yes, I've flown CX in business and first class, and QR in business class (where I was amazed to experience in-flight food that beat the pants off the next few restaurants I ate at on the ground in South Africa), but using AA miles, not CX or QR miles. No CX miles or QR miles were necessary.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Well, we're just a couple hours from the end of the 18th, and the card and application is so far still live on Citi's website.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by moe8555
So... tomorrow (supposedly) is the day. Is anyone applying? I'm on the fence... I just got the Premier (and bonus) less than 2 months ago so no significant impact on the 24 month period. First year would be positive territory thanks to the $250x2 credits and perhaps a 4NF booking or two. Citi's partners match my needs perfectly (Turkish, Qantas, LifeMiles, FlyingBlue, Etihad) as opposed to Chase (have the CSR and may drop for the Prestige?)

I use Barclays Arrival Premier for all everyday non-bonus spend (live abroad), so only travel/restaurants/entertainment would be going on it.
I thought applying for the Premier disqualifies you from the Prestige bonus?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I thought applying for the Premier disqualifies you from the Prestige bonus?
There is currently no bonus on Prestige.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Frankly, I'd be happy if they left it that way, and didn't alter the benefits package.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by garykung
Further detail I was able to obtain:

- It is a product discontinuation, not refresh.

- Citi currently has no further plan to impact existing customers, i.e. existing customers will be able to keep their cards for now.

- Last Date of Application will be August 18. All applications received on or after August 19 will not be processed.
August 19 has come. The Prestige app is still accessible via basic navigation from the Citi homepage.

Any guinea pigs brave volunteers to test it out?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
August 19 has come. The Prestige app is still accessible via basic navigation from the Citi homepage.

Any guinea pigs brave volunteers to test it out?
And the Apply button still works (sometimes landing pages stay up but Apply button gets disabled, so it's always good to check it).

Citi has a history of putting promo end dates in the middle of the weekend, and then not taking the website down until some time after (during the workweek). I don't know why they keep this, but they've done if for many many many years.

Now, this wasn't a promo end date, but still, it's a Citi "end of something" date...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And the Apply button still works (sometimes landing pages stay up but Apply button gets disabled, so it's always good to check it).

Citi has a history of putting promo end dates in the middle of the weekend, and then not taking the website down until some time after (during the workweek). I don't know why they keep this, but they've done if for many many many years.

Now, this wasn't a promo end date, but still, it's a Citi "end of something" date...
Well, the website is down now.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
Well, the website is down now.
I don't know which website you mean. I just googled "Citi Prestige card", and the third search result (the first from Citi) was:

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...-prestige-card

and that still as of this hour (6:45 pm PT, 9:45 PM ET) is a working landing site with a working Apply Now button.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:06 pm

Citi.com is down.

I did see the CC app links were still there, but figured there might be some significance (so far as revising offerings) in the former being down...even if, (should they be revising), links for CCs were still up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.