Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Old Aug 10, 18, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
I just got the sign-on bonus along with the spend and transferred all to TK, which was almost enough for round trip award J class ticket from North America to Europe (TK's Elite members can overdraft miles by up to 15K). In fact, I'm holding off getting other new cards for some time because the spend in travel is helping me add miles very quickly.

Try to get benefit like this with US Big 3 or Southwest on Chase UR. In some ways I'm glad Citi is not adding AA into the transfer partners, if they do, watch out for all the leeches and bottom feeders abusing and ruining the reward program for all of us. Keep it this way for other sophisticated folks (sarcasm).

Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully upgrade Premier to Prestige recently? I know there's no sign-on bonus but the benefit may be worth it for some. I know the time is running out.
You can upgrade the premier to the prestige after 1 year of having the account open.
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:29 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully upgrade Premier to Prestige recently? I know there's no sign-on bonus but the benefit may be worth it for some. I know the time is running out.
Yes, I did it about two months ago.

I then dropped the Prestige entirely because Citi was continuing to disrespect their Prestige card members by taking away benefits, such as increasing the minimum time for trip delay insurance and reducing price rewind yearly caps. The first two out of three times I called the number on the back of my Prestige card, I ended up with outsourced customer service reps who were clueless and barely spoke English... Not acceptable for a so-called "premium card."

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
BTW - I believe Michael Corbat owes me a thank you at the minimum.
Corbat should step down. Unfortunately Citi's board of directors keep giving him raises. The guy is the next Kenneth Chenault.
Old Aug 11, 18, 9:38 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
The first two out of three times I called the number on the back of my Prestige card, I ended up with outsourced customer service reps who were clueless and barely spoke English... Not acceptable for a so-called premium card.
A bit OT, but I really have to hand it to Barclays on that front. I don't know how it is with other Barclay cards, but with the Arrival Premier, after speaking your DOB and last 4 of the card, you're immediately transferred to a U.S. rep with no wait or hold time.

This has always happened, whether I call in the middle of the night U.S. time from abroad or in the middle of the day.
Old Aug 11, 18, 9:48 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Used the Citi chat talk live function 3 times yesterday and even though I'm Citigold I was getting sent to some foreign office where waiting times were 5 min each, and none of the reps could solve/address my problem, which I think was pretty simple one. It was pretty unimpressive. I remember in the past that CG and Prestige seemed to get better service. This was during US biz hours too. Not something to cancel a card over, but enough that when I was sent the survey for 'how was our service' i gave low scores for that.
Old Aug 13, 18, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Navy FCU's Flagship is being refreshed....
It is unfair to compare Citi with Navy FCU. At the minimum, not everyone is eligible for a membership at the CU.

Citi should be embarrassed.
Given some credit to Citi, as Citi fought a good fight in the luxury market. However, because Citi is so cheap, Citi is the first one giving up (Don't forget that Chase had to spare additional expenses for CSR).

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Apply cynical hat!

Or could it be that someone at Citi intentionally leaked that it would be discontinued just to get more interest generated in the planned "refresh"?

Remove cynical hat.
For those who are interested, my source of information is no one other than Citibank's own front line employees. None of these employees I have discussed expressed any indication that this is a refresh, but instead discontinuation. Citi has made the news available internally first before I made this public. So if Citi's original intent is to refresh the card, then there is no need to educate the employees.

Also - if this is a publicity stunt, there are more better options than this.

I admit, per DoC's latest, it seems that Citi recanted its decision somehow. Still, there are reasons why what I have been said are more plausible than Citi's own words, given Citi's own history.
Old Aug 13, 18, 3:40 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
It is unfair to compare Citi with Navy FCU. At the minimum, not everyone is eligible for a membership at the CU.
Given some credit to Citi, as Citi fought a good fight in the luxury market. However, because Citi is so cheap, Citi is the first one giving up (Don't forget that Chase had to spare additional expenses for CSR).
You can't discredit the card just because it's a credit union. Most credit unions have geographical boundaries for membership.

Is it really rocket science to manage a $450/year card? Cap the 4th night by calling it "annual hotel credits to $250 a year." Offer Hilton Diamond status. Increase the airline credits to $300. Offer Admiral's Club access (1 person). Now offer 5x on flights, 5x on hotels, 3x on dining, and 1x on everything else. No more bleeding $2,000 per cardholder for the 4th night free benefit.
Old Aug 13, 18, 4:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I admit, per DoC's latest, it seems that Citi recanted its decision somehow. Still, there are reasons why what I have been said are more plausible than Citi's own words, given Citi's own history.
So your theory is that Citi actually planned to discontinue the Prestige and then changed that decision entirely based on the DoC / blogger / forums comment, gripes, and speculation?
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
You can't discredit the card just because it's a credit union. Most credit unions have geographical boundaries for membership.

Is it really rocket science to manage a $450/year card? Cap the 4th night by calling it "annual hotel credits to $250 a year." Offer Hilton Diamond status. Increase the airline credits to $300. Offer Admiral's Club access (1 person). Now offer 5x on flights, 5x on hotels, 3x on dining, and 1x on everything else. No more bleeding $2,000 per cardholder for the 4th night free benefit.
Citi isn't "bleeding" anywhere near $2,000 per cardholder on the current 4th night free deal, since 25% is probably at or near the commission Citi receives for the bookings.
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
And I don't think Diamond status is doable. $250 a year hotel credit for all the hoops one has to jump through to book 4NF isn't compelling.

I do think some kind of cap on using it would be reasonable, if it led to a sustainable product offering.

Maybe 3-4x a year. That makes it ok for normal vacations, but not so great for the roadwarrior business person.

======
I saw the story on reddit about the people who got the NYE 12K 4NF reimbursement for a times sq stay.

Apparently they also picked up 300k Hhonors points too.

Amazing.
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:37 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Prestige used to have flight points. Maybe they could introduce some sort of "4th night points" system whereby the 4th night benefit wasn't necessarily capped...but it would take a certain amount of other spend to unlock the credit.

Given the commission, maybe the problem isn't the uncapped 4th night credits...so much as people not using the card for anything else?
Old Aug 13, 18, 6:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards

So much for dropping all your AF cards to save and invest!
Old Aug 13, 18, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Ex, Marriott Bonvoyed Gold, HHonors Gold, DL, CX Marco Polo
Yes, I did it about two months ago.

I then dropped the Prestige entirely because Citi was continuing to disrespect their Prestige card members by taking away benefits, such as increasing the minimum time for trip delay insurance and reducing price rewind yearly caps. The first two out of three times I called the number on the back of my Prestige card, I ended up with outsourced customer service reps who were clueless and barely spoke English... Not acceptable for a so-called "premium card."
Let me get this straight... You call the Citi TY transfer partners garbage. You had the Citi Premier Card. You recently doubled down and upgraded to the Citi Prestige Card. $450 annual fee, $250 air credit in 2018, and another $250 air credit in 2019 before the next year's annual fee posts. 4th Night free on hotel stays. You then canceled the card within two months.

Your credibility is a bit suspect. If all is true, it appears that paying the $450 annual fee, losing a 2019 $250 airline credit and losing 4th Night free hotel benefits before the next annual fee appears to be a questionable decision. One can easily profit by keeping and using the Prestige card in 2019 before the card's first anniversary.
Old Aug 13, 18, 7:21 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator caution

Please discuss Citi products, policies and practices, not each other.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I actually did not discredit the card. Instead, I merely point out the fact that because not everyone can have access to Navy FCU, it would be unfair to compare the offering of the Navy FCU vs Citi.

Originally Posted by david22 View Post
So your theory is that Citi actually planned to discontinue the Prestige and then changed that decision entirely based on the DoC / blogger / forums comment, gripes, and speculation?
While not immediate, but yes - my theory, which is constructed based on Cit's own front line employees, is that Citi intended to discontinue the card. So Citi will stop the application first and then gradually cancel the product.

However, I have no theory regarding why Citi changed its decision. Instead, I merely point out that the Citi today is beating up the Citi yesterday.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Given how Citi's employees apparently leaked the info. about Prestige applications being stopped, maybe Citi held off on sending out any info. about a "refreshed" Prestige to avoid similar leaks. Or maybe the "refreshed" terms haven't been fully determined yet.

As I recall, DoC updated his post from "will be discontinued" to "won't be discontinued" within an hour or two. There's simply no way Citi changed its mind in such a short timeframe based on some internet comments. People yapping on the internet wouldn't have changed the card's profitability one bit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: