Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Citi suspends USA Prestige card applications August 2018

Old Aug 9, 18, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by snowmt View Post
this benefit is the most likely target to be reduced/cappe based on their survey
After reading the comments on the DoC article, someone with a 12k night free on New Years Eve in NYC is a good reason why. Unfortunately for me, this is not a very useful benefit for the way I travel.
Old Aug 9, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Originally Posted by voodoogirl View Post
After reading the comments on the DoC article, someone with a 12k night free on New Years Eve in NYC is a good reason why. Unfortunately for me, this is not a very useful benefit for the way I travel.
That's not exactly how the benefit works. While it previously reimbursed the 4th night regardless of the cost for the other three (i.e. $100-$100-$100-$12000 would get you a 12k credit), it's now the average of the four nights total (the credit would be 3k instead in that absurd, highly exaggerated example).
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
That's not exactly how the benefit works. While it previously reimbursed the 4th night regardless of the cost for the other three (i.e. $100-$100-$100-$12000 would get you a 12k credit), it's now the average of the four nights total (the credit would be 3k instead in that absurd, highly exaggerated example).
I don't blame them for making that change then.
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:32 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
FWIW - just because Citi Prestige is a premium card does not make it a flagship card, similar to CSR (Chase's flagship is in fact CSP). I would have to say TY Preferred sounds like a better winner.

Also - before the Citi's statement, even DoC's reliable source pointed toward the discontinuation. When I respect your POV, the circumstance is still not convincing for a refresh.
Navy FCU's Flagship is being refreshed with the following:

3x on all travel, 2x on everything else... Each point worth 1 cent each, even when redeemed for cash. $100 TSA precheck/Global Entry credit.

This is what the Prestige offers that's better than the $49 Flagship... 4th night free (soon to be nerfed) and Priority Pass lounge access.

Citi should be embarrassed.
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Ex, Marriott Bonvoyed Gold, HHonors Gold, DL, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post

3x on all travel, 2x on everything else... Each point worth 1 cent each, even when redeemed for cash. $100 TSA precheck/Global Entry credit.

This is what the Prestige offers that's better than the $49 Flagship... 4th night free (soon to be nerfed) and Priority Pass lounge access.

Citi ThankYou points, as other point currencies which transfer to airlines, are worth well more than $.01 each for award redemptions on long haul premium cabin travel. Citi offers strong point earning opportunities for those who like ThankYou transfer partners.

The Citi Premier card is not rumored to be discontinued or changing, so whatever is ailing Prestige, it doesn't appear to be about ThankYou points. Maybe a Prestige refresh is coming with a higher annual fee, and a different set of benefits. Before saying that Citi should be embarrassed, one should wait to see what happens.

Last edited by conde; Aug 9, 18 at 10:46 pm Reason: grammar
Old Aug 9, 18, 10:49 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime

That Flagship card sounds attractive, for those qualified to get one.

Maybe the 4NF isn't useful for you, but we generally get $1000/yr from it, mostly traveling at peak / holiday times, when no other hotel discounts are ever available. And surprisingly, we have gotten ~$850 or so in trip delay, roadside assistance claims approved. That's over the years, so figure maybe $200/yr annualized for those. Sure it was better when it came with Admirals Club, and 1.6 cpp on AA & Codeshares....but its still a very solid card for Citigold members. The economic cost is low, maybe even negative, and CG gives a mildly better earnings rate too. I'd much rather Citi kept the Prestige alive, in a differentiated form, than have it be a replicant of another offering that we already have.

That being said, some of the lower end quasi premium cards like NFCU Flagship, BOA TravelRewrards etc. all seem pretty attractive, and the fee differential between the top cards seems harder to justify.
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:25 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by conde View Post
Citi ThankYou points, as other point currencies which transfer to airlines, are worth well more than $.01 each for award redemptions on long haul premium cabin travel. Citi offers strong point earning opportunities for those who like ThankYou transfer partners.

The Citi Premier card is not rumored to be discontinued or changing, so whatever is ailing Prestige, it doesn't appear to be about ThankYou points. Maybe a Prestige refresh is coming with a higher annual fee, and a different set of benefits. Before saying that Citi should be embarrassed, one should wait to see what happens.
You mean garbage transfer partners that fly internationally?

The TY program isn't useful to anyone who lives in the U.S unless they want to fly on foreign airlines or go through the hassle of using alliances to book.
Old Aug 10, 18, 10:07 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum

The TY program isn't useful to anyone who lives in the U.S unless they want to fly on foreign airlines or go through the hassle of using alliances to book.
That's simply not true. What about Lifemiles 7500 redemptions on United?
Old Aug 10, 18, 10:11 am

That's not much of an indictment from my perspective. There's significant value to be had for me with TYP since I'm willing "to fly on foreign airlines or go through the hassle of using alliances to book." I can transfer my Citi points to Asia Miles and fly in business from Newark to Vancouver on Cathay Pacific, with a free stopover in Vancouver, and then on to Tokyo on Japan Airlines. Or I can transfer to Virgin Atlantic and fly ANA direct in First from DC to Tokyo. Those "foreign airlines" and "alliances" offer a much better experience than flying AA or United to those places. But, to each his own -- just means more available award seats for those of us who are willing to do the little bit extra to make it work!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Ex, Marriott Bonvoyed Gold, HHonors Gold, DL, CX Marco Polo

The "garbage" ThankYou airline transfer partners are better than the airline transfer partners for Chase UR. Booking international partner awards through United is not best. I live in the US and don't waste my time on domestic short haul award redemptions. Booking through an international airline's own FF program will provide better award availability often (but not always) for fewer miles.

Just because something isn't useful to you for your travel, it is a stretch to call some quality airline transfer partners such as Singapore Air, EVA Air, and Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific) as garbage.

It isn't clear on your point about how Citi's ThankYou partners have any impact on the future status of the Prestige card.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime

It is an additional step to use alliances when booking, but often one gets way more value that way. And a big part of everything related to travel hacking is understanding all these quirks/loopholes, and figuring out to get value from them.

If its too complicated to do all that, then perhaps simple cash back cards are best.
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Such as PR disaster from Citi.

As the OP, there is no doubt that this news was accurate that Citi intended to axe the card (it has been verified for third-parties including DoC). Now, because of the so-called popularity, Citi changed its mind.

Citi has scared enough people. Not sure how Citi can react on this.

BTW - I believe Michael Corbat owes me a thank you at the minimum.
Apply cynical hat!

Or could it be that someone at Citi intentionally leaked that it would be discontinued just to get more interest generated in the planned "refresh"?

Remove cynical hat.

All this reminds of the Chase "trial balloon" earlier this year that UR points "pooling" between cards might come to an end, which seems to have evaporated once Chase saw how unpopular that would be with its UR cardholders:

Chase survey regarding possible changes when combining points.
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
You mean garbage transfer partners that fly internationally? The TY program isn't useful to anyone who lives in the U.S unless they want to fly on foreign airlines or go through the hassle of using alliances to book.
Like others have said, if you don't feel like putting in some legwork, then maybe TYP isn't for you. What's wrong with flying on foreign airlines? I'd generally take that over the US3 all else being equal. I can't speak for others but I've found great value in transferring to Virgin Atlantic to fly on ANA to Japan, or transferring to Etihad to fly on ANA, Brussels Air, Asiana, and AA (and at far lower cost than AA aadvantage miles). But hey if this game was easy then everybody would do it, which is why I'm kinda glad it isn't. The more digging you do and more you invest, the better your award outcomes. I mean after the CSR came out everybody and their Mom can transfer to United, but that doesn't mean it's the most efficient way to book Star Alliance awards. @:-)

Now I'm not saying all of Citi's transfer partners are great, far from it, but with their 24 month rule and my organic spend I really only need a couple useful transfer partners and Citi has them.
conde, vincewy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 7:48 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
I always transfer my Citi points to SQ.

I have always been able to find saver availability in J LAX-Asia, and once I found two F awards, which I booked for November to Thailand.

Old Aug 10, 18, 10:08 pm

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R

I just got the sign-on bonus along with the spend and transferred all to TK, which was almost enough for round trip award J class ticket from North America to Europe (TK's Elite members can overdraft miles by up to 15K). In fact, I'm holding off getting other new cards for some time because the spend in travel is helping me add miles very quickly.

Try to get benefit like this with US Big 3 or Southwest on Chase UR. In some ways I'm glad Citi is not adding AA into the transfer partners, if they do, watch out for all the leeches and bottom feeders abusing and ruining the reward program for all of us. Keep it this way for other sophisticated folks (sarcasm).

Out of curiosity, has anyone successfully upgrade Premier to Prestige recently? I know there's no sign-on bonus but the benefit may be worth it for some. I know the time is running out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: