Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Nobody knows the exact shutdown protocol but you no doubt have a least one red flag per the letter this person received and multiple similar stories on Reditt
...I do not know Chase's exact protocol, but simply having multiple accounts is not a trigger. There are several common threads to shutdowns that seem to have everything to do with BOF patterns and have nothing to do with me. I was responding to an honest question someone had with a valid DP. .... I have a fine relationship with Chase and do not abuse it.

Last edited by mia; Jul 28, 2018 at 4:26 pm Reason: Remove inflammatory language.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest
BOF patterns
What does BOF mean?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
....I do not know Chase's exact protocol, but simply having multiple accounts is not a trigger. There are several common threads to shutdowns that seem to have everything to do with BOF patterns and have nothing to do with me. I was responding to an honest question someone had with a valid DP. .... I have a fine relationship with Chase and do not abuse it.

You said you are LOL/24 and Chase is looking at every account you opened, not just Chase accounts.

Originally Posted by summerpavements
Called to ask for a reinstatement review, gave detailed explanation, but got a call one week later saying the accounts couldn't be reopened. Cited two reasons:
- Repeatedly added and removed authorized users
- Too many new accounts opened within the last 24 months.
Your claim that multiple accounts is not a trigger is simple FALSE as the letter for a shutdown one person posted specifically says that WAS A FACTOR. The user responded that he opened 16 cards in 24 months which is often considered LOL/24 territory

Last edited by mia; Jul 28, 2018 at 4:30 pm Reason: Delete references and response to removed content.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator caution

Please write about Citi (and Chase) products, policies and practices, but not about each other.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:00 pm

You said you are LOL/24 and Chase is looking at every account you opened, not just Chase accounts.

Your claim that multiple accounts is not a trigger is simple FALSE as the letter for a shutdown one person posted specifically says that WAS A FACTOR. The user responded that he opened 16 cards in 24 months which is often considered LOL/24 territory
Multiple accounts alone has not been shown to be a shutdown cause for anyone. ....
Chase had no problem with me opening a new Hyatt account, which was the DP I was sharing.

Originally Posted by muji
What does BOF mean?
I was referring to break out fraud. A pattern of many cc applications and sudden ramping up of CL, authorized users and spend, then disappearing.
Looking at multiple data points many of us think that ferreting this out is a much more rational explanation of what Chase has been doing with shutdowns.
Not how many Citi AA cards a mortgage holder has where CL is routinely lowered and accounts then closed.
But watch me get concern trolled for sharing this view by someone who thinks they know better.

Last edited by mia; Jul 28, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread closed. A few posts have been edited to remove overt of expressions of personal animosity. For reference, here is the rule:

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle.
Please discuss Chase cards in the existing threads in the Chase forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...17-onward.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
2 more new mailers, 60K 'expiring' 10/15.

No matter what some of you guys think, this mailer churn is by this point 100% the best churn ever. I'm somewhere around 3-4 MM Aadvantage miles in 2 player mode with at least 2 more 8/65 rounds to go by the looks of it.

I feel like Uncle Scrooge sometimes ...
Unless you have a need for so many AA miles why not have one person back off and reset the 5/24 clock ?

That is what my wife and I do. I'm now card free until late 2019 and prior to that my wife went card free in early 2016 when Chase announced 5/24 only to start getting cards again in ate 2017. We have about 1.5 Mil AA and we don't even fly AA and are just accumulating miles for someday.

My favorite churn ever was Hilton, 40 - 60K points for spending $1000 and the other banks didn't have rules such as 5/24 so in between the 2 HH cards every 70 days we were able to add additional cards and never had the need to do any traditional MS.

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:50 pm

any traditional MS.
Lol ...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
Lol ...
Not sure what's funny about all legit spends except that the points are really free but ok

I have still never done any real MS, fee free gift cards, oh yes
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:07 pm

Not sure what's funny about all legit spends except that the points are really free but ok

I have still never done any real MS, fee free gift cards, oh yes
'traditional' MS, like my father used to do, and his father before him, none of that newfangled stuff the kids do these days, it just ain't right, I'm telling you
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Unless you have a need for so many AA miles why not have one person back off and reset the 5/24 clock ?

That is what my wife and I do. I'm now card free until late 2019 ...
Who wants to tell him?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Who wants to tell him?

What, that Chase may have 48 month clocks ? If so I have never had several Chase cards such as the Chase Sapphires
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Why don't we get back to discussing CITI AA cards, gang.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb

That is what my wife and I do. I'm now card free until late 2019 and prior to that my wife went card free in early 2016 when Chase announced 5/24 only to start getting cards again in ate 2017. We have about 1.5 Mil AA and we don't even fly AA and are just accumulating miles for someday.

My favorite churn ever was Hilton, 40 - 60K points for spending $1000 and the other banks didn't have rules such as 5/24 so in between the 2 HH cards every 70 days we were able to add additional cards and never had the need to do any traditional MS.

I think there is a country music song about "No such thing as a car too fast, a girl to pretty" and my next line would be no such things a AA account with too many miles! It is a losing proposition in my mind to get back under 5/24 while this epic churn exists. Once/If it ends then I may explore other avenues.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I think there is a country music song about "No such thing as a car too fast, a girl to pretty" and my next line would be no such things a AA account with too many miles! It is a losing proposition in my mind to get back under 5/24 while this epic churn exists. Once/If it ends then I may explore other avenues.
I completely agree. But there will be a point, not to distant, where I will have more AA Miles than I could spend in a few years. With the next devaluation inevitably around the corner, it'll be like saving in Venezuelan currency. And unfortunately it's not possible to sell AA miles without serious consequences. And then what when I will have 5 MM miles but it's 500k miles for a domestic one way in economy ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.