Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo

does the current NAF HH card offer a 150k upgrade offer to ascend? If not, I think the consensus is to get the ascend then upgrade offer to aspire to collect points and then do a separate new aspire app for another 150k?
Most people doing the AA churn will not be able to get any new Amex cards so the link with no language or upgrades ( Ascend Aspire ) may be the only option

Since the other cards have AF's I think the best route is NAF 75K then upgrade to Ascend for 150K then upgrade to aspire for another 150K..................assuming you can get the offers

Here are links to both upgrades. I Have no need for an upgrade now as we have a lot of points and gold status but it does say I can get the upgrade on my NAF HH Amex

https://online.americanexpress.com/d...details#/cshop

Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by muji
I just checked. Unfortunately there is no such offer in my account.

I called Amex and they said that they cannot add it by request; it will appear only if their marketing department adds it. Maybe I will not get the offer since I rarely use my Amex Hilton card.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/hilton...upgrade-offer/
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Most people doing the AA churn will not be able to get any new Amex cards so the link with no language or upgrades ( Ascend Aspire ) may be the only option

Since the other cards have AF's I think the best route is NAF 75K then upgrade to Ascend for 150K then upgrade to aspire for another 150K..................assuming you can get the offers

Here are links to both upgrades. I Have no need for an upgrade now as we have a lot of points and gold status but it does say I can get the upgrade on my NAF HH Amex

thanks but why do you say we can’t acquire Amex? I recently got the HH biz.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo

thanks but why do you say we can’t acquire Amex? I recently got the HH biz.

Most people who are LOL/24 will get a message from Amex saying you won't get the bonus before you submit the application. They will give you the card but not the bonus

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-n...fication-tool/

My wife actually had that scenario play out as I was going to get her a HH biz card about 2 months ago but we passed on submitting the application as there would have been no bonus

A week or so later the HH Amex link with no lifetime language showed up and she got that card, her 75K posted last week
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:21 pm

I'm about 17k AA miles away from the needed miles for a big redemption for next year. Any ideas on earning that last bit since the mailers have dried up?

I'm thinking of opening the MileUp card for the 10k bonus and then MS'ing the last 7k but it's definitely not my first choice.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I'm about 17k AA miles away from the needed miles for a big redemption for next year. Any ideas on earning that last bit since the mailers have dried up?

I'm thinking of opening the MileUp card for the 10k bonus and then MS'ing the last 7k but it's definitely not my first choice.
Your situation is the only one where buying miles from AA makes sense. That is what I would do.
-edit- Especially if you see availability now, better to grab and be at ease.

Alternatively open up one of the Barclays Aadvantage cards if you can.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Most people who are LOL/24 will get a message from Amex saying you won't get the bonus before you submit the application. They will give you the card but not the bonus
Wrong. This is if you've already had the card in the past, you won't get the bonus again unless targeted.

Amex doesn't even always pull credit if they know you well enough. Being LOL/24 is not very relevant to amex. My wife open up a couple of Delta Golds recently. She's about 30/24.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
Your situation is the only one where buying miles from AA makes sense. That is what I would do.
-edit- Especially if you see availability now, better to grab and be at ease.

Alternatively open up one of the Barclays Aadvantage cards if you can.
I don't think I'm past 24 months on my previous Barclays AA card, however I doubt they'd approve me either way.

If I can get the spend down to 5000 miles I'll look at buying miles depending on how much time I have to MS the rest, $182 for 5k hurts but it's a lot better than flying economy.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:11 pm

Being LOL/24 is not very relevant to amex.
I'm not a heaver churner, just moderate. In the past year Amex declined my credit card application (for an Amex business card which I had never had before), saying something like (I forget the exact words): "We cannot approve you for a card due to your history of opening and closing accounts in order to get bonuses".

And I had not opened or closed an account with Amex itself in the past four years.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:25 pm

I'm not a heaver churner, just moderate. In the past year Amex declined my credit card application (for an Amex business card which I had never had before), saying something like (I forget the exact words): "We cannot approve you for a card due to your history of opening and closing accounts in order to get bonuses".

And I had not opened or closed an account with Amex itself in the past four years.
That's why. If you had been spending a bunch with Amex and you had several cards you'd be in like Flynn. My wife and I are heavy churners, have been for years, we're both in Amex' good books. We do spend 40-50 K each on Amex cards, mostly grocery MS, but the gold Amex is on top of our wallet too. And we've opened / closed our fair share of Amex cards over the years, and we have never had any problems getting approved with Amex. They don't even pull credit because we have in essence our own credit file with Amex going back 10+ years.
tscateh likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:54 pm

Getting an Amex upgrade (from a regular Hilton account to Ascend) would not be viewed by Chase as a new account (as part of their their 5/24 restriction), correct?

Sorry to be double-checking, but I just don't want to mess up my Chase 5/24 timetable.
My understanding is that Amex would not do a hard pull to make a product conversion/upgrade and would not report the new product as a new account. Is this always the case, or not necessarily?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:00 pm

Wrong. This is if you've already had the card in the past, you won't get the bonus again unless targeted.

Amex doesn't even always pull credit if they know you well enough. Being LOL/24 is not very relevant to amex. My wife open up a couple of Delta Golds recently. She's about 30/24.
Cool, then all the heavy churners are all set from once the last mailers are used..................You heard it guys..............Amex is waiting, lol

Wife received the pop up saying she would not get the bonus on HH Amex BIZ card she never had......................a few weeks later she was approved approved for a NAF HH amex ( a card she has had before) via a link with no lifetime language.

She had a similar experience with a DL Amex biz ( another card she has never had) earlier this year................later approved via a email link

The pop ups are common talk on the Amex forum as they have been around for years

If somehow you are avoiding them that's great but I assure you that is not the case for most LOL/24

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 7, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:11 pm

Based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Because you have or have had The Platinum Card, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Above are the message the pop up gives...........They are discussed in the link I listed below

My wife received the pop up saying she would not receive the bonus for a HH Biz card, a card she has never had.

A few weeks later applied for and received ( no pop up) the 75K bonus on a HH NAF amex ( a card she has had several times and recently upgraded to Ascend) via a link DOC posted with no lifetime language.

Earlier this year ( before the HH BIZ app) she applied for a DL BIZ ( another card she has never had) and received the same pop up message saying no bonus but a few months later she was able to get the DL business and the bonus via a targeted email.

How or why the no lifetime language and the targeted email bypassed the pop up I have no idea but it did.

It's all on this blog and the Amex sub forum on Flyertalk

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-n...fication-tool/
muji likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 7, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer

People have posted about Citi AA retention offers of 3K for spending $500 ( I think).........maybe you could get one or more ( do you have more than one AA card open) to bridge the gap if you call and say you are going to cancel the card(s).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:30 am

Amex pop ups are based on a combination of factors including opening and closing Amex cards (particularly ones where you got a sign up bonus) plus not spending above a certain threshold on your existing Amex cards.

LOL/24 has nothing to do with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.