Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
Just to check back and follow up on my original question, can those of you who (i) are at lol/24 due to the AA churn and (ii) have recently applied for Chase cards not subject to 5/24 confirm that you've had no problems since opening those cards? There are comments above saying that the # of new accounts alone shouldn't be a problem unless it is paired with activity that looks like break out fraud potential (e.g., adding and removing authorized users). I'd like to get the new IHG card for its sign up bonus, but Chase is my primary bank, and I really don't want to have a problem that would cause me to switch banks.
Not sure if this helps, but here is my stats - no issues with Ch@se so far:

Currently 23/24 personal cards; 29/24 including business cards
Applied and Approved for new lberia Visa @ 75k bonus in March 2018
Including the lberia Plus, I have 6 Personal and 1 Business Ch@se CC open
Typically maxing two (2) Freedom 5x bonuses every quarter
Nearly 3 years of maxing my lnk+ 5x annual bonus on Office Supply when VGC deals come along
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thefirst
Not sure if this helps, but here is my stats - no issues with Ch@se so far:

Currently 23/24 personal cards; 29/24 including business cards
Applied and Approved for new lberia Visa @ 75k bonus in March 2018
Including the lberia Plus, I have 6 Personal and 1 Business Ch@se CC open
Typically maxing two (2) Freedom 5x bonuses every quarter
Nearly 3 years of maxing my lnk+ 5x annual bonus on Office Supply when VGC deals come along
It definitely helps. Thank you.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

I found this blogger who talks about shutdowns for nothing other than too many cards and inquiries. Obviously, a YMMV situation.
Chase Credit Cards Closed Due to Too Many Accounts and Inquires ? TravelinPoints
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: spg gold
Mailer are probably finished, so what’s next. Most banks aren’t interested in folks with 24/24. I guess we could do nothing and in a few years get a Chase or BOA card. What other opportunities are available? Maybe Citi Premier or Prestige? Some smart people have contributed to this thread and I think it would be great to hear some ideas.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
Mailer are probably finished, so what’s next. Most banks aren’t interested in folks with 24/24. I guess we could do nothing and in a few years get a Chase or BOA card. What other opportunities are available? Maybe Citi Premier or Prestige? Some smart people have contributed to this thread and I think it would be great to hear some ideas.
Amex doesn’t seem to care. Wife and I got Amex Delta Gold cards during the churn. I’ve also had luck with Barclays but I’m told that’s changed recently.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: spg gold
Originally Posted by Robl

Amex doesn’t seem to care. Wife and I got Amex Delta Gold cards during the churn. I’ve also had luck with Barclays but I’m told that’s changed recently.
I agree I got an Amex Bonvoy
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Robl

Amex doesn't care if you use the personal email offers....................otherwise you will probably see a message saying you won't get the bonus before you submit the app
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:22 am

Citi Premier is a no brainer. The 60,000 TYP bonus is nice. It caused me to cancel my CSR, and I just use Premier + Amex Gold now. I also have Hilton Aspire for Priority Pass and Diamond though, so this trio of cards made it easier to cancel CSR. The travel insurance and car rental insurance is the loss.

Hit Amex as hard as you can. Pop up hell is obviously a thing, but you can get out of it (and then back in, haha).

Barclays / BoA / Chase isn't pretty (for me, at least), but it was good to me in the past so that's life.

Maybe I'll look at Wells Fargo and Capital One. I honestly do not know much about them, but Capital One has some nice cards for transferrable points now.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Citii Premier or Prestige will work for one card if you haven't opened or closed either in 24 months.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Citi Premier is a no brainer. The 60,000 TYP bonus is nice. It caused me to cancel my CSR, and I just use Premier + Amex Gold now. I also have Hilton Aspire for Priority Pass and Diamond though, so this trio of cards made it easier to cancel CSR. The travel insurance and car rental insurance is the loss.

Hit Amex as hard as you can. Pop up hell is obviously a thing, but you can get out of it (and then back in, haha).

Barclays / BoA / Chase isn't pretty (for me, at least), but it was good to me in the past so that's life.

Maybe I'll look at Wells Fargo and Capital One. I honestly do not know much about them, but Capital One has some nice cards for transferrable points now.
Any tips for how you can get out of the pop up hell with Amex? I am not sure, but I think Capital One will deny people with too many recent apps. Wells Fargo is definitely an option, but they restrict bonuses to one every 16 months.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:33 am

Any tips for how you can get out of the pop up hell with Amex? I am not sure, but I think Capital One will deny people with too many recent apps. Wells Fargo is definitely an option, but they restrict bonuses to one every 16 months.
Spend, any way you can. Even if it's on an upgrade offer that circumvents the pop up.

Check out the Amex forum for more details. PM me if you have anymore questions. I am happy to share anything I know.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jiaogulan

To show how much I know about other Citi cards is the Premier and TYP the same card ?

IME churners have NO SHOT at Cap One Venture cards. I love those ( Arrival also) cards as I use them to pay charges to our room in Vegas, etc

BOA may work as all I see is that the are limiting BOA cards now
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:58 am

Here is a HH Amex link with no lifetime Language, I have been told that you can have more than one NAF HH Amex

All of the upgrade ( Ascend/Aspire) bypass the pop ups denying the bonus as I have used them several times

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...edium=facebook

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 4, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
To show how much I know about other Citi cards is the Premier and TYP the same card ?

IME churners have NO SHOT at Cap One Venture cards. I love those ( Arrival also) cards as I use them to pay charges to our room in Vegas, etc

BOA may work as all I see is that the are limiting BOA cards now
If you have luck with BofA, please let me know via this thread or PM me if I don't happen to see it (I'll respond or Like it if I do see it). I tried last summer, well below any limits on BofA apps and cards, but I got shot down.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:31 pm

If you have luck with BofA, please let me know via this thread or PM me if I don't happen to see it (I'll respond or Like it if I do see it). I tried last summer, well below any limits on BofA apps and cards, but I got shot down.

Did BOA give a reason for the denial ?

My wife has one more mailer that she will use in about 9 days ( 5/15) then may go for another NAF Hilton. She has never had any other Citi cards so we'll run through those first as well as a AA business so BOA won't come until late 2019/early 2020 when she winds things down and I start getting cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.