Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA churn - impact on Amex, BoA, Chase et.al. application strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
You're right about the blogs. There isn't much to write about anymore. I used to spend a lot of time on a lot of blogs devoted to this hobby, but I don't do that anymore. Makes me wonder if some of those sites will eventually die off. There's one with a name I always thought was ironic: Travel Is Free. Travel is actually pretty expensive in most cases, but there was this cottage industry that formed around getting other people (credit card marketing departments) to foot the bill for our travel. There was no way that was going to last forever.
I love how Ben posted today that he applied for the Citi Premier. Literally an entire article devoted to this card. Duh, this is a good card. Almost as shocking was that he included an application link.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I got that card months ago, with the 75,000 bonus, and AMEX doesn't even pull my credit anymore. Citi AA's take some grit for me because I do not MS them, but that Hilton AMEX gig felt too damn easy.

I may go for a second using this public link above because I have nothing to lose really. I have the first card still open since it is No Annual Fee, so it will be a good test to see if I can get the bonus.

Does anyone know how to force a Hilton AMEX No Annual Fee card to Ascend upgrade bonus email offer? :P

I believe you have to have the NAF card a year before you can upgrade it

All of our HH AMEX upgrade offers where done via Amex offers that you see when you log in to your AMEX account.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Amex with no lifetime language...I have read data points on DOC saying you can have more than one of the same HH Amex.
Would anyone know if it would be possible to get this card (as I did today, so now I have two of them - the first gotten about 3 years ago) and then get another (assuming the offer is still available) in a few weeks?

I would, if approved in a few weeks, then have three of the same card. (I have not gotten any other Amex cards over the past couple years.)

I'm guessing that it would be possible, but I'm wondering if anyone has recently gotten a few of the Amex HH cards, where they then have a total of three or more of them.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by muji
Would anyone know if it would be possible to get this card (as I did today, so now I have two of them - the first gotten about 3 years ago) and then get another (assuming the offer is still available) in a few weeks?

I would, if approved in a few weeks, then have three of the same card. (I have not gotten any other Amex cards over the past couple years.)

I'm guessing that it would be possible, but I'm wondering if anyone has recently gotten a few of the Amex HH cards, where they then have a total of three or more of them.

No idea on card # 3 but my guess is if you were able to open 2 of the same card you can open more.

Amex has a 5 credit card limit across all products from what I have been told

The older NAF HH you are holding should have a upgrade to Ascend offer so you can get 150K HH points and Gold status for spending $3k and paying the ( PRO RATED) $95 AF

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 6, 2019 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:16 pm

The older NAF HH you are holding should have a upgrade to Ascend offer so you can get 150K HH points and Gold status for spending $3k
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info, flyer4512.

I see now that there is (some) life elsewhere after the demise of the Citi AA churn.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:06 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by LWT3
I don't recall, but too many new accounts is really the only good reason to deny me. I even opened a BofA checking account (for a $300 bonus) to improve my chances based on posts in the BofA section of Flyertalk, but that wasn't enough to help. I think at one point I got a letter saying too many new accounts and no banking relationship with BofA (or something like that). Then, months later when I opened the checking account I tried again, and I think I got a letter saying only too many new accounts.
Do you direct deposit your paycheck to the account? I get approved for everything at Bank of America. But I deposit my paycheck there every 2 weeks.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:34 am

upgrade to Ascend offer so you can get 150K HH points and Gold status
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info, flyer4512.
I just checked. Unfortunately there is no such offer in my account.

I called Amex and they said that they cannot add it by request; it will appear only if their marketing department adds it. Maybe I will not get the offer since I rarely use my Amex Hilton card.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:00 am

I believe you have to have the NAF card a year before you can upgrade it

All of our HH AMEX upgrade offers where done via Amex offers that you see when you log in to your AMEX account.
Ahh yes, bingo. I got my Ascend/Surpass --> Aspire offer 12 months in.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:01 am

You might already be doing this, but I would explicitly confirm with Amex over chat and/or the phone that you will get the bonus.
muji likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:01 am

No idea on card # 3 but my guess is if you were able to open 2 of the same card you can open more.

Amex has a 5 charge card limit across all products from what I have been told

The older NAF HH you are holding should have a upgrade to Ascend offer so you can get 150K HH points and Gold status for spending $3k and paying the ( PRO RATED) $95 AF
does the current NAF HH card offer a 150k upgrade offer to ascend? If not, I think the consensus is to get the ascend then upgrade offer to aspire to collect points and then do a separate new aspire app for another 150k?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:02 am

Amex has a 5 charge card limit across all products from what I have been told

Not to be a nerd, but it's 5 credit cards; charge cards you can hold an unknown amount of. Maybe all of them if you meet their approval criteria since they are not based on traditional lines of credit.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo

does the current NAF HH card offer a 150k upgrade offer to ascend? If not, I think the consensus is to get the ascend then upgrade offer to aspire to collect points and then do a separate new aspire app for another 150k?
I love that idea, but am I missing something? Pretty sure it's not doable?

Offer details from public Aspire app:

"Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card."

Nevermind the pop up hell garbage on top.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express targeted offers often waive the restrictions of public offers. American Express upgrade offers have different restrictions than new account offers. An upgrade is not a new account.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mia
An upgrade is not a new account.
Thank you, mia.

Just to confirm: Getting an Amex upgrade (from a regular Hilton account to Ascend) would not be viewed by Chase as a new account (as part of their their 5/24 restriction), correct? (Sorry to be double-checking, but I just don't want to mess up my Chase 5/24 timetable.)

Last edited by muji; Jul 6, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
American Express targeted offers often waive the restrictions of public offers. American Express upgrade offers have different restrictions than new account offers. An upgrade is not a new account.
so i guess my main question is - do the upgrade first before the new card offer or vice versa (all same card)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.